F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Aftermarket HUD

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Aftermarket HUD

I just installed a NAVDY HUD on my '15 MCS.. I like it a lot so far, but I'm still getting used to it. I prefer the dash display over either the OEM or aftermarket version from Mini. Multiple choices for info displayed including music album art, speedo, tach, and choice of two aux gauges. Also has a built in GPS that give you visual and audible turn by turn instruction. You can also control SIRI, your music, and telephone calls with it. Super easy install. Download app to your phone, decide on mounting location, route the single cable and plug into OBD II port and turn it on. Took me about 15 minutes, and I'm old and slow. �� I like it a lot better than the OEM HUD that was in the F55 loaner I had for two weeks while they replaced my motor. Paid $370 on eBay for a new unit including shipping. It comes with three mounts of different heights. I use the short mount. I just took about 20 pictures and only one was halfway salvageable.
The outer ring is the tach and the speed is supplied by the internal GPS. The pictures of the navigation screens weren't useable. Good pictures on their site if anyones interested.

https://www.navdy.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...s#see-the-road

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HUD-fullsizeoutput_31a.jpeg  
Old 06-10-2017, 03:35 PM
bhmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the Navdy compare functionality wise to the Mini OEM HUD ?

Old 06-10-2017, 04:05 PM
vetsvette
I'm just repeating most of the first post, but, I had a new F55 w/OEM HUD as a loaner for about ten days when they replaced my motor. The NAVDY has more options and is easier to use IMO. You also are not required to have the factory NAV option to be able to navigate with it. The dash display (tach, speedo, and two aux gauges) look a lot better than the OEM. The speedo is GPS based so it is accurate (I checked it against my Garmin). There are a lot of reviews on Amazon if you'd like to check them out. NAVDY is constantly updating firmware/software to improve or add features too. They have a sale going on until 6/18 for $399 on Amazon Prime. I had been looking at the OEM retrofit kit until I saw this NAVDY and started to read up on it. It took me about 15 minutes to install. You are required to have a IOS or Android based phone to work with it. I will recommend it without reservation.

Last edited by vetsvette; 06-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:20 PM
bhmini
1st Gear
Fast reply....thanks. My pending 2018 build does have the Nav because I want the new touch screen, so that is not an issue. My problem is the "neatness" of the installation. I really don't like that cord running down to the OBD port.

It would be more appealing to me if it could read a wireless OBD reader. Batteries,I guess, for power. Some of the Amazon reviews suggested not quite ready for prime time. Their web site sure does look slick, however. One other issue I have is sticking that base to the glare shield. I've read numerous complaints from folks who put iPhone holders on the dash and found that it left a permanent ring on the dash.

Still, all in all, an impressive item.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:04 PM
vetsvette
The only place you see the wire on my installation is the couple of inches to reach the windshield. Not noticeable on the black dash. The wire tucks into the cracks between dash and windshield right around the outside perimeter of the dash and down to the OBD II plug. I didn't even need the included wire routing gizmos. The mount stays on the dash. You can remove the unit by tilting it and lifting if you want it out of sight or to store it. It's held solidly on the base by a magnet. Most of the "not ready for prime time" reviews were for the initial offerings. The company is less than a year old from what I can gather and are making continuous improvements to the unit. They are constantly asking what improvements or new features you would like, and I like and appreciate a company that's geared more toward the customer than the bean counters.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
i saw the Navdy some time ago.
They use the same projector technic like MINI.

If you can modify the input via OBD you have a high class info dash !

Will order now ;-)

Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 PM
vetsvette
You won't be disappointed.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
ordered it - will receive it soon.

The featured video

gives a good impression of the sound hardware.

Iam not sure it will work in Germany (setup language/maps) can't even order it from Amazon US as Prime customer direct. Anhow seeing this 2 year ago as Kickstarter project, i was impressed by their projection usage.

I see the NAVDY as alternative to the MINI Connected stuff, worth 2300, plus a HUD worth 600 = 3000.
It might be also in a position to load apps such as "Performance Analyser" to have a high-class dash info centre.

I register next week a new F56 JCW 6MT Rebel Green w/o any extras, except "MINI Yours" € 30.700 ./. a 2 digit discount.

I think about a permanent install in the dashboard, also using their hardware with a different screen (bigger, yellow tinted ....) is thinkable.

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 06-22-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 AM
vetsvette
That's a good video. IMO better than the manufacturers web site. I look forward to hearing how it works for you. Personally, I'm liking mine more every time I drive the car.

Last edited by vetsvette; 06-22-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
$400+ Ouch!
With that money, you can easily buy a mount and tablet and have far better visibility.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:55 PM
vetsvette
Either you don't understand the concept of a HUD or you've found the first transparent tablet.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
"Either you don't understand the concept of a HUD or you've found the first transparent tablet."

arrived today, i will use the plastic parts 3 to position the mounting of the Navdy for a professional tweak, will document this later, maybe its worth to demonstrate it than to Navdy in order to ask them to synchronise additional channels like the "Performance Analyser" onto the screen. Use the screen as rear mirrors for the infight, there are numerous possibilities, activate your JB4 with Siri "Achtung Wassereinspritzung"

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1&d=1498199305

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HUD-screen-shot-2017-06-23-at-08.03.37.png  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 AM
vetsvette
They will send you periodic surveys asking what changes/improvements you'd like to see. I keep asking for oil pressure, water temp, boost, and voltage with the option of having four aux gauges in the dash display at once. I believe there is plenty of room on the display and the OBD II port has all the info they need. Still a relatively new piece of gear so I guess they're feeling their way along. Just had another software update the other day. I would recommend before you even plug it into the car, to connect it to your computer to bring the maps and software up to date. That's what I did with mine and IIRC it downloaded 7-8gb of data.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:52 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
They will send you periodic surveys asking what changes/improvements you'd like to see. I keep asking for oil pressure, water temp, boost, and voltage with the option of having four aux gauges in the dash display at once. I believe there is plenty of room on the display and the OBD II port has all the info they need. Still a relatively new piece of gear so I guess they're feeling their way along. Just had another software update the other day. I would recommend before you even plug it into the car, to connect it to your computer to bring the maps and software up to date. That's what I did with mine and IIRC it downloaded 7-8gb of data.
Analog gauges would rock!

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:02 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
MINI could offer a lot more on the factory unit. I have it and like it, but there is a lot of potential that could be realized. Only a very small amount of the space is actually used ... great opportunity for enhancement here.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:25 AM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
After my C6 had HUD I got hooked. Where I live I think it's much more safer not having to look down for speed or gauges (or). I'd like to add HUD to my Mini but reading the reviews, the selection is Slim. The way I see it, it's Navdy or Garmin (and a big difference between the two). Since I don't live in my Mini, it's just hard to justify for a couple of hours driving a week. (I live in a HVAC Service Van.) The Mini is mainly a 4th utility car that's used for bank, groceries or rainy days for only 2 people.

Is there anyone here who has the Garmin HUD?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 AM
vetsvette
I looked at the Garmin HUD before deciding on NAVDY. It looks like it will do a good job of navigating, but it's limited in other features. I love the dash feature on the NAVDY and they are continually improving and adding options. Probably not worth while for a couple hours a week. YMMV

Old 06-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
installed it in 5 minutes - The hardware and its haptic is oe level.

The brilliance of the projection unmatched ! This is the ultimate connecting link to your car, finally you can use your smartphone as Overlord !

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (06-25-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:17 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Does navdy somehow hook up to the OEM stereo? It says it can play spotify etc but does it play it through it's own speaker or through the cars speakers?

Last edited by trentiles; 06-26-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:32 PM
vetsvette
Links with the cars sound system via Blue Tooth.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:29 PM
540Oak
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this looks very cool! Can skip the "visibility package" now...

Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 AM
vetsvette
Just got an eMail from NAVDY. On sale for a limited time for $399. Available from Amazon, Best Buy, or direct from NAVDY w/free shipping to USA or Canada.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:34 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Just got an eMail from NAVDY. On sale for a limited time for $399. Available from Amazon, Best Buy, or direct from NAVDY w/free shipping to USA or Canada.
I think this might be the tipping point for me getting one!

Old 07-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
the only what matters for me is the excellent screen projection, and the possibility to mirror your iPhone via OBD, if NAVDY will not open that, to run apps, such as the "BMW Performance Analyser", i have to do it

Old 07-09-2017, 02:49 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
And £549.00 in the uk when redirected from American site, what a joke

Must be expensive to post