F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone go from an MCS to a Justa?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
What is wrong with you people? Everybody knows that horsepower is like beer and money. There's no such thing as having too much!

The following users liked this post:
blue al (06-24-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
what is wrong with you people? Everybody knows that horsepower is like beer and money. There's no such thing as having too much!
+1

Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Drove a Justa yesterday.

It's not bad for a 3 Cyl. It appears to have enough power for my driving, but I found it much less fun to drive than my current MCS w/ the JCW tune.

It handles very much like mine, but that Go-Kart feel is lost to me unless I'm zigging and zagging in tight turns (where both cars really shine). I get some of that feel w/ mine when driving in some of our parking lots. Taking corners a bit faster and throwing the car into the turns. The car is planted and quite fun.

Unfortunately, all of my roads are straight and flat, so overall feel of the "Justa" in my world, is like any other sub-compact car. Adequate is the operative word I'd use. W/ my MCS, I have the extra power that put me back in my seat under acceleration, so I get the some of that "Go-Kart" effect w/o the winding twisty roads.

Surprised and disappointed to see Mini omitted the "modes" as standard in the 2017 unless you order a "package".

Perhaps, if I had never owned a Mini, I'd be more smitten w/ the "Justa", but owning a modded 2015, the "Justa" justa didn't move me as I'd have hoped.

At a minimum, next Mini will likely be a MCS w/ the JCW tune or a full JCW (or perhaps something else entirely).

As an aside, BMW is not helping the brand by taking what were standard features and charging extra for them. $250 for the Mini Excitement package? Paying extra for driving modes?

I'd be $34K for another S (+the the Tune) or $40K for a JCW. @ a $40K price point, there are lots of other buying opportunities, but none quite as quirky as the Mini.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Drove a Justa yesterday.

It's not bad for a 3 Cyl. It appears to have enough power for my driving, but I found it much less fun to drive than my current MCS w/ the JCW tune.

I'd be $34K for another S (+the the Tune) or $40K for a JCW. @ a $40K price point, there are lots of other buying opportunities, but none quite as quirky as the Mini.
Very fair-minded analysis, IMO.

And you are right, it's a $40K+ proposition for a top-of-the-line fully kitted MINI. All good, some are better.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Drove a Justa yesterday.

It handles very much like mine, but that Go-Kart feel is lost to me unless I'm zigging and zagging in tight turns (where both cars really shine). I get some of that feel w/ mine when driving in some of our parking lots. Taking corners a bit faster and throwing the car into the turns. The car is planted and quite fun.

Unfortunately, all of my roads are straight and flat, so overall feel of the "Justa" in my world, is like any other sub-compact car. Adequate is the operative word I'd use. W/ my MCS, I have the extra power that put me back in my seat under acceleration, so I get the some of that "Go-Kart" effect w/o the winding twisty roads.

Surprised and disappointed to see Mini omitted the "modes" as standard in the 2017 unless you order a "package".

Perhaps, if I had never owned a Mini, I'd be more smitten w/ the "Justa", but owning a modded 2015, the "Justa" justa didn't move me as I'd have hoped.

At a minimum, next Mini will likely be a MCS w/ the JCW tune or a full JCW (or perhaps something else entirely).

As an aside, BMW is not helping the brand by taking what were standard features and charging extra for them. $250 for the Mini Excitement package? Paying extra for driving modes?

What's the price difference from the Justa to the S? At that point, you have to ask yourself is it worth the difference.......

Old 06-01-2017, 09:15 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
What's the price difference from the Justa to the S? At that point, you have to ask yourself is it worth the difference.......

$2250 w/o the tune

Old 06-01-2017, 04:45 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
USA-Ret, What are your thoughts on the tires. They are so much cheaper to repolace on the non-s, plus you get a spare tire!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
you dont have to run the shitty runflats, first thing I do is take them off and sell them to someone returning a lease

Old 06-01-2017, 05:52 PM
jlb
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dennis,

I went from my '15 MCS with JCW interior, paddle shifters, JCW wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, JCW Coil over suspension, sunroof, leatherette interior, sport tronic transmission to a '17 F57 JCW, sport tronic transmission, Chrono Package plus more options than I had before, for about the same price as the MCS with all the crap that I added. There are deals out there, you just have to compromise a little if price is the deciding factor. This car sat at the dealer for 8 months. Why? Probably due to the color, Rebel Green. Either you like it or you don't. Not my favorite color, but the price was right, and it is only available in the JCW. So now I like it... LOL! Had I ordered another pepper white, I would not have gotten this deal.

The dealer that I deal with has 3 F56 JCW's in stock... Red/black, black/red and a blue one.. Prices range from 37-40k. I deal directly with the GM, and he is motivated to move cars. I get a grin on my face every time I drive my car. My F56 did not put that grin on my face. Yes you can buy other cars for 40k and be another one of those on the street, or you can be the unique one. I chose unique.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up getting.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:43 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
was going to trade as soon as I could order a 2018. Then I started thinking, My car will be just two years old at that time..so I have two more good driving years under warranty. I love my MCS w/ the Tune so I'll keep it until the 2019's come out.

2018's are suppose to get a 3-5% power increase in the Justa and the MCS. JCW will remain the same as the 2017 for the 2018 model year. Rumors are they my do something w/ that motor in 2019 (which actually fits my plans better).

I need to test drive a JCW to compare to mine. Honesty, my car produces more torque than the JCW and that's where you really feel the acceleration. Would hate to spend the extra cash on a full on JCW as the stiffer springs and handling enhancement are not something I really need or want. Now, if the put the stronger motor in the car w/ more torque, I'd not have second thoughts...but as is, I could get the MCS w/ the tune (w/ the extra 3-5% power boost and be money ahead.

Just another reason to wait one more year.

I have a nice light set 17" Enkei RPF1 rims w/ Conti Extreme DW's which I will move to my next Mini. I saved 32 lbs of unsprung weight with those tires and wheels over the stock set (which yields about 10 extra WHP and 11 lb ft of torque). So whether I go the MCS or JCW, those wheels will make the transfer.

My Mini dealership seems to order all the cars optioned exactly the way I would NOT order a car. Nearly everyone has a moon-roof, which in Florida is a SUN ROOF and virtually none have the HK stereo. The dealership has "Sonic" pricing which is some cases is $1 more that MSRP. The BMW dealership down the road (owned by the same guy) also has "Sonic" pricing and most vehicle have $1500 -$2K off sticker. Go figure. Perhaps because we have another BMW dealership within a short commute compared to 100+ miles to the next Mini dealership.

Anyway, as I drove my MCS today in sport w/ the exhaust open and the tranny set to D/S, accelerating and then backing off the hear the burbles and farts, I was having a ball wondering why am I wanting to trade this car for something different (especially w/ a full two years left on the warranty).

Old 06-02-2017, 07:06 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
For those of you who put down the Justa, I still maintain it's the best option for a daily driver...if you're a commuter. I drive mine over 40 miles per day.

Please don't forget...why would I buy an S model, and then immediately have to spend over $1,000 to ditch the runflats?

Lastly, I have a spare tire! hehe

USAF-RET!!!! 20-years of active-duty.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
For those of you who put down the Justa, I still maintain it's the best option for a daily driver...if you're a commuter. I drive mine over 40 miles per day.

Please don't forget...why would I buy an S model, and then immediately have to spend over $1,000 to ditch the runflats?

Actually was considering the Justa just because we use ours mostly for a 200 mile weekly commute w/ most of around town driving in a Dinan M240i. MCS w/ tune (eco) returns 36 MPG (and rising). So not unhappy with gasoline cost.

The Justa would have been ordered w/ 17's and the wheel swap would have been done in either case. Next tire replacement will likely be back to RF's just for peace of mind. Will shop for lightest tire available.

Back issues necessitate I use "Roadside" or RF's.

Not knocking the Justa. Just so much tamer than what I'm currently driving. Also a little put off at the absence of things that came standard in my 2015 MCS are now available for a up-charge.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:38 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Actually was considering the Justa just because we use ours mostly for a 200 mile weekly commute w/ most of around town driving in a Dinan M240i. MCS w/ tune (eco) returns 36 MPG (and rising). So not unhappy with gasoline cost.

The Justa would have been ordered w/ 17's and the wheel swap would have been done in either case. Next tire replacement will likely be back to RF's just for peace of mind. Will shop for lightest tire available.

Back issues necessitate I use "Roadside" or RF's.

Not knocking the Justa. Just so much tamer than what I'm currently driving. Also a little put off at the absence of things that came standard in my 2015 MCS are now available for a up-charge.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin

Don't know what tires you are running for over $1K. My top of the line BFG's Comp 2AS were $340 from TireRack. Are yours gold lined?????
The Justa is a nice car if that is what you want, but it just does not compare to the S. People will say what they want, at the end of the day, do you want to spend the extra $2K for a more competent car......

Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 PM
MiniCooperMe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would consider Justa only if the hood scoop was there and the dual center exhaust was there.
Basically, the look of MCS was as important as the horsepower.
I use the power whenever I can. I would miss the power a lot if I went for a Justa.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Very good point!

When I was shopping for mine in 2014, the $$ difference was $2000 between the 2, and EPA MPG difference was like 1 or 2. It was a super easy decision for me even without test driving. But I did anyway to make sure, and I confirmed my instinct was right. I bought a MCS.

I bought a Mini because of its unique fun to drive factor (which is hugely governed by power-to-weight ratio). So, buying a less powered Justa was simply pointless or contradictory to me.

Last edited by Chazman; 06-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:49 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniCooperMe
I would consider Justa only if the hood scoop was there and the dual center exhaust was there.
Basically, the look of MCS was as important as the horsepower.
I use the power whenever I can. I would miss the power a lot if I went for a Justa.
I agree with this statement except for the following changes. ;-)

I would consider MCS only if the fake hood scoop wasn't there and the spare tire was there.
Basically, the look of Justa was as important as the horsepower.
I use the power only when required. I would miss the MPG's a lot if I went for a MCS.

Katgirl (01-27-2020)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patriot!
I agree with this statement except for the following changes. ;-)

I would consider MCS only if the fake hood scoop wasn't there and the spare tire was there.
Basically, the look of Justa was as important as the horsepower.
I use the power only when required. I would miss the MPG's a lot if I went for a MCS.
I have an MCS but I agree with this ... I do think the Justa looks better.

Katgirl (01-27-2020)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:23 PM
xentar
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I think if you like a more "classic" and subtle design but still pack a punch then a JUSTA would definitely fit the bill..

But if you want a more agressive car both inside and out.. then a MCS/JCW is the way to go..

Katgirl (01-27-2020)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:59 PM
bhmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove my neighbors' Justa home from the dealer. I was absolutely impressed with that 3 cylinder turbo. I have a '13MCS. The only knock I have on the 3 cyl Justa is that it still requires Premium 91 Octane.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Love my 15 Justa. Of course I was smart and never drove the S. Manual trans is a must if you want to scoot. Averaging over 36 mpg, Premium package, Sport Package, Cold weather package and Media package........all for $22,245 brand new-a no brainer for me. That said, my next Mini will probably be an S just for a change.

Search this Thread