F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Cruise Control Braking Going Down Hills

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise Control Braking Going Down Hills

I think my (non active?) cruise control is braking on downhills. I'm not sure I like this-I'd prefer to do this myself. Plus, are the brake lights illuminated?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Old 05-08-2017, 02:16 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, m'y 2016 F54 is like that too. It is the standard cruise control now for Minis. And yes, brake lights do come on whenever the car slows down by itself (safety feature for cars following you)

Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I saw a Mazda yesterday with that behavior. I'm thinking, 'who's the bozo putting on the brakes on a slight grade?' Can't be good for the brakes or fuel mileage. I'm going to see if people have coded it out on their BMWs.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:02 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Personally I like it. If I want to reduce the braking on a long downhill like coming out of the mountains I drop down a gear or two and let the engine do some of the braking. On my Suburban, and every other car I've owned with cruise control you can easily end up getting a speeding ticket on a long downhill run. I figure, what's the difference between the car braking or me? Just another thing to keep an eye on. If I accelerate while in cruise I turn it off just in case it tries to apply the brakes. My rear brakes are looking good with over 20K miles on them.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yep. It's a total non-issue in my book. And I just learned something about cars turning on brake lights when using computer-controlled engine braking when going downhill.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:36 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i don't follow the brake light thing. You aren't slowing down, simply maintaining speed. What next throw the brake lights when I downshift a manual??

Old 05-08-2017, 02:48 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Did a search on coding it out and found nothing; no interest either. So I guess I'm the bozo.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gjxj
i don't follow the brake light thing. You aren't slowing down, simply maintaining speed. What next throw the brake lights when I downshift a manual??
No, the cruise control just fails to disengage when you push the clutch pedal so that when you downshift, the car still tries to maintain speed. Only car I've driven that does this. It's super dumb.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuke-em
No, the cruise control just fails to disengage when you push the clutch pedal so that when you downshift, the car still tries to maintain speed. Only car I've driven that does this. It's super dumb.
But... On the downhill the engine takes over more of the braking vs the brakes handling it alone. I use it a lot coming home from my girlfriends home in the mountains around The Dragon. The LEO's are pretty strict on the 55 mph on the downhill side of Black Mountain. If you want the cruise to cut out all it takes is a flick of your left thumb.

Last edited by vetsvette; 05-10-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:53 PM
MiniCooperMe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyroMini
Yes, m'y 2016 F54 is like that too. It is the standard cruise control now for Minis. And yes, brake lights do come on whenever the car slows down by itself (safety feature for cars following you)
When I lift off from gas pedal suddenly it will brake to prepare for emergency braking.
Does the light come on briefly in that case also?

Either way the brakes get used a lot unintentionally. It is a good thing the brakes are covered under the warranty.