F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2nd tank: 39 mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2nd tank: 39 mpg!

Just got 39 mpg in my F55 3 banger. Interesting that the 39 calculated by the car matched actual miles/gallons pumped. Other cars I've had they're always 3 mpg optimistic.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My R55 has averaged 38mpg over the past 16k. One or 2 tanks is not an accurate assessment. I use an APP Gas Manager to keep track of all my vehicles. The free APP only allows for 10 entries each vehicle but when that is filled up I can email it to myself and save them as a PDF, then clear the entries and start over. @ vehicles run a shade over 20 mpg and the motorhome has averaged 8mpg even pulling the Mini!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:17 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Is it your existence that the mpg display in the MINI is as close as my experience?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:32 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
Is it your existence that the mpg display in the MINI is as close as my experience?
No, but my speedo is off by about 3 mph high also. Optimistic MPG readouts make me smile, but then even the reality of 38mpg is smileworthy

Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did 35.6 with one tank for mixed use (70% highway ) with my 17 Cooper S Auto

Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My record with 2015 F56 was about 45 mpg in pure highway at 65 mph cruising the whole gas tank.

For me, the trip computer is optimistic by 2-3 mpg most of the time but sometimes it's pretty close to what it is. Also, you need to consider that the gas tank being full when it rejects taking more gas at the pump might not actually mean it's full. The sensors on the gas nozzles might be different, or there could be some air bubbles trapped somewhere.

I use an app called Fuelly to log my miles. I don't know if it works offline, but it's free and all the data is stored in the web.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:48 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
That's pretty good.

On another note on your cheat sheet:

"Disable showing blank line in BC"
Is that the blank line when you're cycling the display at the bottom of the speedometer? That would eliminate a button push, for sure.

and...

"Turn off radio/nav when opening drivers door
(you don't need to press ingnition twice when parking)"
I have found on my automatic that if I hit the on/off switch with my foot on the brake, and then open the door, the radio shuts down. Do you like it in your current setting? I can't see why you'd want to have the radio playing by default when leaving the car. If you wanted to let it play while you're washing it or something, you could turn it on then. So I can see making the change.

Last edited by VelvetFoot; 05-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes getting rid of that blank in the speedo reduces one press. I want to see more data if possible not less, so that blank line is useless for me.

When I open the door it's always because I'm leaving the car, and I want everything off. When I park in my garage I don't lock the door so I really want it off even without locking the door. All other cars are like this. Mini is the first car that wants me to press the ignition twice to turn off on default settings. So yeah I really like the all-off feature when opening the door coded.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
Yes getting rid of that blank in the speedo reduces one press. I want to see more data if possible not less, so that blank line is useless for me.

When I open the door it's always because I'm leaving the car, and I want everything off. When I park in my garage I don't lock the door so I really want it off even without locking the door. All other cars are like this. Mini is the first car that wants me to press the ignition twice to turn off on default settings. So yeah I really like the all-off feature when opening the door coded.
Did the blank line and it works great.

Turned out the door open/aux elect off was already aktiv! I think I must've opened the door before turning it off. If you turn it off first, foot on brake or not, and then open the door, things shut off. Also, if it's shut off, and the passenger opens the door, it stays on, and when the driver then opens the door, it shuts down.