F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
F56s

I have 37,000 miles on my '15S and am thinking about buying a JCW when I reach 50,000 miles. What do you guys think?

Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
that's what you should've bought in the first place. But on second thought they probably weren't released when you bought that car.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:53 AM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see if I can get this place fired up. I just test drove a JCW and prefer my regular S. In my harsh road urban environment, the JCW was just too stiff and the tires to thin to enjoy. My 16" tires bounce around less over the potholes and a little suspension movement is my friend.

So I say it is all about your needs.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
My new JCW order

Originally Posted by 3rdcoastmini
Let's see if I can get this place fired up. I just test drove a JCW and prefer my regular S. In my harsh road urban environment, the JCW was just too stiff and the tires to thin to enjoy. My 16" tires bounce around less over the potholes and a little suspension movement is my friend.

So I say it is all about your needs.
I would order with 17" wheels, all-season tires, and stock suspension. On my current "S", the Bridgestone All-Season tires in 17" ride great.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:12 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Dynamic Damper Control with 17" wheels should solve that problem. It's only a $500 option so it's a pretty good deal.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
Dynamic Damper Control with 17" wheels should solve that problem. It's only a $500 option so it's a pretty good deal.
That's what it's for, yes. Everyone has different interests & there is certainly nothing wrong with an "S". But remember an "S" doesn't have sport suspension so it's naturally much softer than a JCW, even one with damper control.

I personally prefer a stiff ride as it makes me feel attached to the road. It's just my preference but everyone has their comfort zone.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Part of me would LOVE to have a JCW Clubman or, as a replacement for one of our other cars, a JCW convertible to go along with our Clubby S All4. I would love to have the extra grunt from the JCW added HP/TQ, and the better brakes.

But I'm gettin' old and the hard ride of the JCW ain't good for my dental work or my butt or my aching back.

Having said that, the Missus and I plan to test drive a JCW convertible this spring -- we might just catch the fever for which speed and JCW exhaust burble and true MINI go-karting are the only known cure!

Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
JCW vs Std "S" suspension

I get it that some would like a stiff "sports" suspension. I had it on my '08 and with run flats it was just brutal as a daily driver. The car would skip over expansion joints on corners. I replaced the tires at 11,000 miles.
On my '12S I ordered 16" tires witha stock suspension and the car was a vast improvement over the previous car in everyday driving and handling on our California roads.
After test driving a '14 F56S, I ordered my '15S with stock suspension and 17" all seasons. It has been perfect for me. In my 65 yo experience, cars that are tuned for auto cross or track are horrible as daily drivers. I like the idea of the JCW's power and brakes with the standard suspensions. To each his own

Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I get it that some would like a stiff "sports" suspension. I had it on my '08 and with run flats it was just brutal as a daily driver. The car would skip over expansion joints on corners. I replaced the tires at 11,000 miles.
On my '12S I ordered 16" tires witha stock suspension and the car was a vast improvement over the previous car in everyday driving and handling on our California roads.
After test driving a '14 F56S, I ordered my '15S with stock suspension and 17" all seasons. It has been perfect for me. In my 65 yo experience, cars that are tuned for auto cross or track are horrible as daily drivers. I like the idea of the JCW's power and brakes with the standard suspensions. To each his own
The adjustable dynamic suspension is great on our Clubby S All 4. Mostly we keep it in the normal (mid) mode. Sometimes when I use Sport mode, I turn off the stiffer suspension and just enjoy the more spirited throttle mapping and shifting. The S works fine for these old bones. But, then again....

Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear

I have never a fan of adjustable suspensions. I admit that I'm "old school". But with an adjustable suspension, I would just find one ride and stick with it.I could probably get used to the standard JCW suspension, but why?
It seems that the horrible ride of the '02-'06 S models with run flats were examples of how a great handling car should ride. I don't buy it.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:48 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear

I have never a fan of adjustable suspensions. I admit that I'm "old school". But with an adjustable suspension, I would just find one ride and stick with it.I could probably get used to the standard JCW suspension, but why?
It seems that the horrible ride of the '02-'06 S models with run flats were examples of how a great handling car should ride. I don't buy it.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Ha! I get it too! But a stock JCW is not exactly like a car set up for the track....can be with a few tweeks though. It's intended to offer a sporty & FAST ride without making the driver suffer. I'm ok with the runflats but I know it will be more compliant with non runflats too if I choose that route. As for age, I'm older than you so it's not about age but what makes you smile more! ;-) Enjoy whatever you decide!

Last edited by 02fanatic; 02-14-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:48 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I enjoy the dynamic adjustable suspension in my Clubby and have appreciated the improved ride in other cars I've had with dynamic adjusters.

It is a remarkable thing to have the shocks constantly adapting to the road. With the longer wheelbase Clubman the rear shocks often adapt to something the front has experienced -- it happens that fast.

Considering my wife would tell you I'm not that adaptable in so many other ways, I take great pride in being a fan of progress in suspension technology -- when it works. And on my Clubby, it works for me.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 AM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew I could get it going. But seriously, where I live in a downtown urban environment with one pothole, sewer hole, expansion joint, ripple after another thin tires and stiff suspension bounce around and give you less contact with the road. We've all been sold a bag of goods that stiffer and paper thin tires are always better, they can be in the right scenario but that is not my daily life.

I love the looks of the JCW though, my next one will probably JCW body package on regular S.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
If I'm not mistaken one can get the JCW car and "decline" the free Sport Suspension (and dynamic damper option too), and end up with the same standard suspension that comes on the MCS. It's mainly the runflats that add to the harsher ride not the sport suspension which largely consists of thicker sway bars. What I do is decrease the tire pressure a little which helps the ride a bit.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
What do you guys think?
Sounds expensive

Old 02-14-2017, 10:36 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
If it's like my JCW it was "only" $6,500 more than the similar MCS. For that you get the body kit, the bigger turbo/tune (about 30-35 HP), and the Brembo brakes. And I think 17" wheels too. And JCW seats and steering wheel and shift ****. Not a bad deal at all.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:05 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Absolutely!!!! at least for me, anything else wasn't even an option.... My suspension feels more on the soft side... I will be upgrading it soon to a KW or JCW coils. Also, I would add a jb4, and a DP. 300whp just my 2c

Last edited by djtomy; 02-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Part of me would LOVE to have a JCW Clubman or, as a replacement for one of our other cars, a JCW convertible to go along with our Clubby S All4. I would love to have the extra grunt from the JCW added HP/TQ, and the better brakes.

But I'm gettin' old and the hard ride of the JCW ain't good for my dental work or my butt or my aching back.

Having said that, the Missus and I plan to test drive a JCW convertible this spring -- we might just catch the fever for which speed and JCW exhaust burble and true MINI go-karting are the only known cure!
In 2018 the All4 Clubman JCW is likely going to be my next car. Plan to get the DDC as I have them in 2015 MCS and the ride improvement is noticeable (as I can adjust -10% stiffness in Sport mode.)

My 2015 has the JCW tune and it's plenty fun to drive and actually produces more torque lower in the RPM range than the F56 JCW. So not really sure if I want an F56 JCW in 2018. I do not track nor do I AutoX, so the bigger brakes, sway bars and such are not big factors. I like the looks and the straight line performance.

Clubman on the other hand has a different motor than the F56 JCW which produces considerably more torque than the F56 JCW and my MCS w/ the JCW tune. Torque is where the "grunt" and perceived performance is around town and from stop light to stop light. If I can get similar performance out of the All4 JCW Clubman w/ the DDC that I am getting out of my 2015 MCS w/ the JCW tune, I'll be a happy camper.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by USA-RET
In 2018 the All4 Clubman JCW is likely going to be my next car. Plan to get the DDC as I have them in 2015 MCS and the ride improvement is noticeable (as I can adjust -10% stiffness in Sport mode.)

Clubman on the other hand has a different motor than the F56 JCW which produces considerably more torque than the F56 JCW and my MCS w/ the JCW tune. Torque is where the "grunt" and perceived performance is around town and from stop light to stop light. If I can get similar performance out of the All4 JCW Clubman w/ the DDC that I am getting out of my 2015 MCS w/ the JCW tune, I'll be a happy camper.
I think you're on the right track. The Clubman driving dynamics do differ from the F56. The Clubby is heavier and you can feel it. The JCW Clubby is the heaviest Clubman.

Our experience of the Clubman S All4 with 8-speed Sport Automatic and the Dinan Sport Tuner box added is pure pleasure for zipping around town and along the SoCal freeway system, with the lousy pavement. The 17" wheels, coupled with non runflats helps, and, as you point out, dynamic damper control is the way to go. Love the paddle shifters with the automatic. Get some pops and burble in Sport Mode -- just enought to remind me I'm in a MINI.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the JCW. You don't want to live with regrets. If you configure an S as close to JCW specs on the mini configurator, you'll save about $3000. But you won't get:
1) Brembo big brakes
2) JCW tune (228hp)
3) sport suspension
4) JCW intercooler
5) additional cooling system
6) lower compression pistons
etc....

Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET

Let's see now... difference between F56 JCW and F54 JCW.
WooHoo! 20 more foot pounds of torque and only a 600 pound increase in curb weight!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:45 PM
whippa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vetsvette
WooHoo! 20 more foot pounds of torque and only a 600 pound increase in curb weight!

I wondered how long it would take to put that together,,,

Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Yes, but you only sacrifice .1 second 0-60 for a bigger car. So that 20 Lb Ft of torque must be doing something to move what in effect is three chubby cheerleaders worth of weight to 60 MPH in 6.0 seconds (compared to 5.9 w/ an F56 JCW).

Throw some light weight wheels and tires on the Clubbie (which I just happen to have in my inventory to eliminate about 45lbs of unsprung weight) and you'll likely get the .1 back.

It's all in the perspective and what one wants.