Drivetrain Powerflex Engine Bushings Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 PM
da3dalus
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Powerflex Engine Bushings Anyone?

Curious if anyone has installed upgraded "Street" engine mount bushings on their F56?

I have upgraded bushings in my R53 but to be honest I think the guy put in race spec bushings (bought the car with it installed so I don't know the exact durometer) and there is a good amount of vibration and resonance througout the cabin. On the flip side the shfits are tight and direct.

I have an NM shifter on my car and that improved the shifting significantly but it still feels a little sloppy and loose that I suspect a bushing would correct.

Anyone have them? Any feedback?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 AM
devilmotorsports
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
*Subscribed*

I've been looking at doing this as well. I had the engine mount insert on my R60 ALL4 and it made a huge difference in the cars ability to put the power down.

From looking at the one for the F56 it doesn't appear to be in insert but rather an entire new bushing. Having had experience replacing bushings in the past its not a lot of fun unless you have the proper tools, ie a press, which I don't have. I'm also curious if its worth the hassle

Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 AM
Detzl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a r56 mcs and i did the powerflex bushing and it's great. It broke in within 300 miles and there is just slight vibration at idle but almost non existent. Much better response when taking off and shifting. I am not sure if it's the same as the F56 but I would imagine it's very similar.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:21 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
You do NOT need a press for the lower engine mount. I have had the powerflex bushings installed for months in the lower engine mount.

Granted my F55S is an auto I did notice crisper shifts. I'm sure it will be a great, cheap, easy upgrade for manuals as well.

The bushings come with optional plastic inserts to stiffen things up even more. I noticed with the inserts I would get a lot of idle vibrations. Without the inserts the idle was as smooth as stock.

Install was pretty easy except I was not able to remove the stock rubber bushing (it's one piece) without cutting it out. If you ever need to put the stock bushing back in it's very cheap, I think around $20 so I didn't mind cutting it out. The new bushings just press in easily with your fingers.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (06-01-2022)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:31 AM
da3dalus
1st Gear
Thanks for the info! It's a simple install? Similar to the R53/R56 yea? Just undo a bolt basically and cut one out, pop another in?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by da3dalus
Thanks for the info! It's a simple install? Similar to the R53/R56 yea? Just undo a bolt basically and cut one out, pop another in?
Yep, it's that simple!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
You do NOT need a press for the lower engine mount. I have had the powerflex bushings installed for months in the lower engine mount.

Granted my F55S is an auto I did notice crisper shifts. I'm sure it will be a great, cheap, easy upgrade for manuals as well.

The bushings come with optional plastic inserts to stiffen things up even more. I noticed with the inserts I would get a lot of idle vibrations. Without the inserts the idle was as smooth as stock.

Install was pretty easy except I was not able to remove the stock rubber bushing (it's one piece) without cutting it out. If you ever need to put the stock bushing back in it's very cheap, I think around $20 so I didn't mind cutting it out. The new bushings just press in easily with your fingers.
He is correct. We've had several customers get them and report back that they love them. One that had like 10 other mods, said he wish this was the first mod he did and I agree.
And like he said the black rings pull out to make the bushing softer if you don't like it the way it comes and can be done in minutes.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM
da3dalus
1st Gear
You guys shipped my order out on Friday!

To access the mount what do I do? Car on ramps, remove the flat panel under the car for access?

Jack under the engine to hold the weight while swapping?

Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts

To access the mount what do I do? Car on ramps, remove the flat panel under the car for access?

Im also interested in the difficulty of install as well. I want to replace mine dont want to get in over my head. The instruction on the Powerflex site are very very basic.

Also, @waymotorworks, thanks again for rushing the wheel spacers to me. I got them in time and they complimented my coilover install perfectly!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts

You can do it on ramps or on jack stands. If you do it on ramps you need to lock the rear wheels so you can put the trans in neutral to make rocking the engine a little easier to pull the mount down.
But otherwise once under the car pull the panel off and then take the bolts out of the moutn and pull it off the car. Then press the large end out. I use a press, but anyway you get them bushing out is good. Then just squeeze the new powerflex bushing in. Then reinstall.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I understand from other posts that this mod changes the "feel" that is transmitted into the car. How does this mod improve and/or modify the performance of the car?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
da3dalus
1st Gear
If it's anything like the other cars i've upgraded engine mounts on it tends to remove the "rubbery" feel from the manual transmission shifts so they feel more solid. The acceleration and throttle response tends to feel more solid as the power transfer is more immediate.

Does it make it faster? No. Does it make it feel more solid, precise, and thus enjoyable to drive? Yes.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (06-01-2022)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
has anyone installed the race version:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G3NME5...-Race-Gen3-F56

Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
If it's anything like the "race" version for the R56 it'll transmit to much engine vibration/harmonics to the interior of the car. Fine for the track, but annoying in a daily driver. F version could be different, but I doubt it.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Received mine in the mail yesterday... looking forward to getting it in. Any other votes as to whether to use the black insert or not? I see trentiles reports vibration at idle, which makes me think I'll go without insert. Anyone else chime in?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Anyone here perform a 'self-fill' on the bushings as a home-made mod? I used to make them on a swap basis for a former SVT Contour I had using 3M Window-Weld urethane. Worked really well for preventing wheel hop on dry surfaces.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
Received mine in the mail yesterday... looking forward to getting it in. Any other votes as to whether to use the black insert or not? I see trentiles reports vibration at idle, which makes me think I'll go without insert. Anyone else chime in?
Keep in mind I had lots of vibrations with the inserts BUT I have an auto trans. It might be a different experience with a manual trans.

Try it with the inserts, but don't put the belly pan back on (to save you time if you want to take out the inserts right away). Take it for a drive and see how it is, you will know right away.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 PM
vetsvette
Someone with a manual trans hurry up and try this! I want to find out whether it's better with or without the inserts so I just have to do it once.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 PM
da3dalus
1st Gear
Mines here and I have a manual but it's still snowing so won't be able to install for awhile.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 PM
vetsvette
Cool. I have enough to keep me busy for a while anyway.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Someone with a manual trans hurry up and try this! I want to find out whether it's better with or without the inserts so I just have to do it once.

I have a manual, I ordered mine early this week should be here soon. I did hear someone say they regreted buying the sport one (yellow) with the inserts and should of bought the race version because they needed more stiffness than the sport/street with inserts. So, I bought the Black race version, will update soon.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:24 AM
vetsvette
Looking forward to hearing real world personal impressions of both. I don't notice a problem with the stock unit at this time, but am always looking for improvements, especially a relatively inexpensive one like this. I'm a little leery of the "race" version because of prior experience with my R56. I installed the race version first and regretted it almost immediately. The harmonics/vibrations were really annoying and immediately noticeable. I noticed new rattles and you could actually see the rearview mirror vibrating. Kinda reminded me of my old '65 Triumph Bonneville, and if any of you have ridden these old British twins you'll know what I mean.
Bottom line is, I ended up selling the race version for a loss and buying the street version. Just my long winded way of saying I'm gonna wait for someone else to be the guinea pig on this one.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Got it today! Ill try to install tomorrow along with her first oil change

PowerFlex Black Series F56 Lower Engine mount large Bushing

Old 02-24-2017, 05:02 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
oh man, it's going to rattle your teeth fillings out

Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 PM
whippa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Looking forward to hearing real world personal impressions of both. I don't notice a problem with the stock unit at this time, but am always looking for improvements, especially a relatively inexpensive one like this. I'm a little leery of the "race" version because of prior experience with my R56. I installed the race version first and regretted it almost immediately. The harmonics/vibrations were really annoying and immediately noticeable. I noticed new rattles and you could actually see the rearview mirror vibrating. Kinda reminded me of my old '65 Triumph Bonneville, and if any of you have ridden these old British twins you'll know what I mean.
Bottom line is, I ended up selling the race version for a loss and buying the street version. Just my long winded way of saying I'm gonna wait for someone else to be the guinea pig on this one.

Yea, they sure could put your butt to sleep