Drivetrain Powerflex Engine Bushings Anyone?

Old 04-05-2017, 03:30 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Anyone able to take a video of how much the engine rocks with the new bushing? The F56 engine rocks forward and back pretty hard. I'm looking to reduce this.

I havent taken a video but given how thick this new bushing is and how solid the shifting feels I cant imagine the engine is moving more than 1-2%

Old 04-05-2017, 05:13 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Is the install similar to R56? Remove 1 bolt, swing mount down, insert bushing, and put bolt back in?

Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
On the R56 the bushing fit into grooves in the original rubber bushing. On the F you have to cut/rip or otherwise remove the original rubber bushing and replace it with the Powerflex part. I'm guessing this is why this one's so much more expensive than the R56 part. On my R56 I bought a new mount and installed the part on that, because the original part with 100K+ miles on it was a little rough. Ended up costing about what the new bushing alone costs.
Still waiting on a verdict about Black vs Yellow w/inserts.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Is the install similar to R56? Remove 1 bolt, swing mount down, insert bushing, and put bolt back in?
yep pretty much. The longest part is the 10 screws holding the skid plate. After that it's what you described. All in all this should take you less than an hours to do this mid

Tomorrow will be 1 week since I installed the race. I'm going to give it 2 full weeks before posting my review/thoughts. That's the same amount of time I gave the yellow bushing.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 PM
emilio.
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So, anyone tried the yellow without the insert? Is it actually stiffer than the original?

Old 04-09-2017, 01:06 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by emilio.
So, anyone tried the yellow without the insert? Is it actually stiffer than the original?
Logically it would have to be. Rubber vs Polyurethane. Whether it's noticeable to you is another question. Without a doubt it will last longer than the stock rubber bushing.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by emilio.
Its definetly stiffer without the insert.

Look at the picture of the stock bushing I posted compared to the yellow bushing. There is a huge gap of missing material in the stock one that the yellow one has.

Also you can literally squeeze the stock bushing, the yellow and black one doesnt give a millimeter when you squeeze it

Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Do you recall what tools are required. The instructions don't help much. I just got my powerflex in the mail lol.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Do you recall what tools are required. The instructions don't help much. I just got my powerflex in the mail lol.
So, I think it is an 8mm for the 10 screws on the skid plate then an 11mm for the actual bolt that holds the arm in. I used a few of the longest screwdrivers I had to keep the arm from sliding back up once the bolt was removed.

It will all make sense once you get under there. Let me know if you have any questions. Ive been under my car 3x for this bushing. It feel like a part of my family now.

Im just finishing up my review for the race bushing so that will be up shortly

Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Thanks. Once the weather gets better I'll give it a shot.
Just to clarify. You don't have to remove the entire mount? You can just do 1 bolt like the R56 and swing it down?
Its just a pain to remove the standard bushing so you guys recommend a ton of WD40 or wha. Lol

estimated time 30 min?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
You will want to remove the entire mount.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Mini_Vinnie
I actually found it easier to just swing the arm down. I was using jack stands and couldn't get enough torque on the bolts to completely remove it.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:36 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Was it a pain getting the bolt back in with the new bushing in?

Btw. Do you remember the torque spec for the bolt?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Was it a pain getting the bolt back in with the new bushing in?

Btw. Do you remember the torque spec for the bolt?

No, it wasnt a pain at all. It just slid in and screwed in. I dont think it was a lot of torque at all. I remember not struggling at all to get the bolt unscrewed.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Mini_Vinnie
I finally got around to writing up a review of the Sport and Race bushing. I detailed it here - http://vrosetta.blogspot.com/2017/04...hing-race.html

Basically, if you want a quieter ride with great shifting go with the yellow bushing. Now if you want a little louder ride with incredible feel and shifting, go with the black race bushing.

Im keeping the Race bushing in because I absolutely love how the shifting feels.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:59 PM
vetsvette
So, does this man you're getting rid of the yellow bushing and inserts?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Richard_rsp
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to bring up a couple month old post, but it appears everyone on here drives an 'S' or JCW F56 (this is the S Drivetrain area, after all). Has anyone with a Justa (B36) tried this?? I am not a fan of Noise, Vibration or Harshness, but am experiencing a bit of slop in my shifts and would love to stiffen it up. However, I am pretty nervous about the vibration from the 3cyl since its less 'balanced' than the 4cyl.

I had a Mazda2 that I filled the mount with 60A liquid urethane (and was great for a daily driver). Just wondering if this Powerflex is too much for the 3cyl MINIs.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard_rsp
Sorry to bring up a couple month old post, but it appears everyone on here drives an 'S' or JCW F56 (this is the S Drivetrain area, after all). Has anyone with a Justa (B36) tried this?? I am not a fan of Noise, Vibration or Harshness, but am experiencing a bit of slop in my shifts and would love to stiffen it up. However, I am pretty nervous about the vibration from the 3cyl since its less 'balanced' than the 4cyl.

I had a Mazda2 that I filled the mount with 60A liquid urethane (and was great for a daily driver). Just wondering if this Powerflex is too much for the 3cyl MINIs.
We recently had a customer put a set in his non S and loved it just like the S customers. So I'd still highly recommend it. Just getting rid of the drivetrain slop is a huge help.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

remember if you do think it's too hard on initial install you can remove the black inserts to soften it up.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Richard_rsp
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:25 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We recently had a customer put a set in his non S and loved it just like the S customers. So I'd still highly recommend it. Just getting rid of the drivetrain slop is a huge help.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

remember if you do think it's too hard on initial install you can remove the black inserts to soften it up.
Nice pictures

Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts
I put mine in over the weekend. 2014 S, manual transmission. Used the regular yellow version.

I actually had to struggle a bit to remove the arm from the car- those bolts were on tight!! I'm sure much of the problem is that I was trying to use an 11mm socket- picked up a 6-point star set, and that worked, with much effort. I was able to press out the old bushing easily with a 1-ton arbor press. I'm pretty sure that you could get it out with a bench vise as well. It's not adhered to the metal or anything- you just have to push on the metal bolt sleeve hard enough to deform the rubber so it pops out.

I included the black inserts. There is a slight buzzing at idle- I was expecting a slower / bigger vibration. But I'd call it a buzz. Since I use and enjoy the car's idle-shut-down feature, it's not idling much of the time anyway. There is a more firm feeling to the car, like the engine is more directly connected. Backing out of the driveway, little revs are transmitted through the whole cabin. I like it- feels more sporty, more racy.

Shifting is slightly more direct. A little more notchy. I have a Cravenspeed short shifter, set on shortest throw. Unfortunately it's no easier to get into each gear, but it is a little more precise.

Haven't experienced yet any difference in hard launches or redline shifts. Usually those are two big improvements with firmer engine mounts. I'm still on OEM tires though, so maybe I wouldn't see much improvement there anyway.

Overall- seems like a good, but relatively minor improvement. For sure worth the small time and money investment.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM
vetsvette
I bought the whole assembly from a forum member. I'm going with the yellow bushing + inserts, but I'm waiting for my next oil change to have it done. Just had one so about 5K miles to go.

Search this Thread