F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Possible Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:11 PM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible Clutch Issue

I have a 2015 F56, manual trans with 37,000 kms. Today on my way home from work the clutch slipped twice. Once right after I started out and had to feather slightly in bumper-to-bumper uphill traffic. The second time was at a light just starting to move.

My questions:
  1. Is this the end of my clutch?
  2. Is there a sensor (like with the brakes) that tells you that you're reaching the end of the clutch?
  3. Is this "normal" wear - after only 37k? (I did buy it used with 9k on it so I don't know how the first owner drove.)

Thanks.

Last edited by rphox2003; 02-08-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Have you had your bearings checked yet? Clutch problems are one of the symptoms. It was originally specific to the 2 liter, but I've heard of similar problems with the 1.5.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
1. Could be, hopefully not with only 37K kms. Slipping is a symptom of a few things, as vetsvette mentioned.
2. Not that I am aware of, but it would be nice wouldn't it.
3. Since you don't know how the first 9K were put on...it could be worn out. It is possible the original owner was either abusive or more likely careless clutch user. I don't know how many times I have seen manual users simply feather the clutch to hold their cars steady at an uphill light. I am not talking the bumping forward, rocking back, bumping forward type of method, but the holding it steady with the clutch partially engaged. When they pull away you have the scent of a nice and toasty clutch disc...shiver!!

What was the weather like on your way home (i.e.- sunny/dry or damp/rainy/foggy)? Usually if your clutch is starting to go, it will certainly reveal itself when in a higher gear as you try and accelerate from a lower rpm. That is when the most mechanical load is on the clutch, as the driveline doesn't have the mechanical advantage of the lower gear ratio. See if it will slip in 4th gear by running it full throttle from 1500-4000 rpm, as long as you can find a stretch of road that is safe to perform that kind of run.

You can always take it into either your local dealer or a trusted shop to have them road test it as well.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 PM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Have you had your bearings checked yet? Clutch problems are one of the symptoms. It was originally specific to the 2 liter, but I've heard of similar problems with the 1.5.
Yes, I did the recall about 8 months ago.
Sorry, I should have specified - I have the 1.2L Mini One.
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WhatV8
3. Since you don't know how the first 9K were put on...it could be worn out. It is possible the original owner was either abusive or more likely careless clutch user.
The original owner was from the north were it is very hilly.

I don't know how many times I have seen manual users simply feather the clutch to hold their cars steady at an uphill light.
I never do that. I try to take it easy and even avoid a certain way home because the highway on-ramp is uphill and usually packed.

What was the weather like on your way home (i.e.- sunny/dry or damp/rainy/foggy)?
Clear and warm.

You can always take it into either your local dealer or a trusted shop to have them road test it as well.
I just had it in last month for regular service AND last week to replace the control arms. I would imagine they would have said something (more money for them) if they even thought there was a problem.
I have noticed that when just starting out, if I give it just a few more RPMs, it doesn't seem to happen.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
On cars like ours with a dual mass flywheel you have to be super careful when feathering the clutch. Once you burn the surface it is only a matter of time before a replacement is needed. I know this from my R56. These clutches isolate engine noise but they burn out if you are not careful.
Sounds very much like what you are experiencing

Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I always wondered why Mini didn't bring the Mini One to the US. I think they didn't bring the diesel because it didn't pass the California emissions test, but the Mini One should. Maybe they thought US buyers wouldn't buy it since like 3/4 of Minis are the MCS and gas is cheap here?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:05 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like you may just have the start of a toasted clutch. Probably nothing to replace just yet, but certainly something to keep a close eye on.

I wasn't insinuating that you rode the clutch on a hill at a light, but that the original owner did. Anyone can pick up a habit and that particular one is something that always make the hair on my neck stand up when I see/hear it.

What is funny is my '17 has hill assist...with an auto...that is simply annoying. It should be disabled on auto's, IMHO. I regularly roll from the brake to accelerator pedal faster than the brakes disengage and get a jumpy/jerky start to the roll-off.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:02 AM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I always wondered why Mini didn't bring the Mini One to the US. I think they didn't bring the diesel because it didn't pass the California emissions test, but the Mini One should. Maybe they thought US buyers wouldn't buy it since like 3/4 of Minis are the MCS and gas is cheap here?
FYI: Except for those two occurrences on the same day, the problem hasn't returned. I called the service center and they told me to bring it in anytime for diagnostics.

I think they brought the One here out of necessity. We have 100% import tax on cars + 16% VAT. So there are a lot of Ones driving around. But we also have our share of Coopers, Coopers S, and JCWs. I bought my manual One second hand with 9k kms for the same price as a new base model Cooper in the US.

We're also paying about $6 for a gallon of gas.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 AM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
100%, plus 16% VAT and Metric System.... Singapore?

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
rphox2003
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mkt3000
100%, plus 16% VAT and Metric System.... Singapore?
Israel