F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 New Mini Convertible F57 - Placing order this week

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
New Mini Convertible F57 - Placing order this week

Wow!!! It's been 11 years since I first started visiting NAM as I researched our first 2005 Mini Cooper. Never before have I gone through such a "roller coaster" of emotions and feelings about such a "little" car. Anyone who is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of an automobile will understand what I am saying. (Most wives and daughters really don't understand how impractical it is to drive 1.5-2 hours one way just to get an oil change.....much less have small items repaired even under warranty). FWIW, I sold our new 2005 with only 12,000 miles with concerns over the CVT and currently own a well equipped 2009 Mini Cooper.

Despite my sometimes "Love-Hate" relationship with Mini..........I have come to fully embrace all the positive aspects of owning a Mini Cooper and will soon own 2 of them. I am placing an order for a new F57 Mini Cooper Convertible this week after much thought and research. It came down to either buying a Harley Davidson.....or a Mini Convertible. At 61, I wanted something that my wife and I can both enjoy in a slightly different way than we do our current hardtop (w moonroof) Mini. I wanted even a more open feeling without the safety concerns that you have with a motorcycle. In addition.....if it rains...I can be under cover in 18 short seconds rather than be sitting under a bridge.

Our new F57 Base Mini Convertible includes the following:
1) Technology Package
2) Premium Package
3) Rear Fog Light
4) LED Fog Lights (goes along with LED headlights in Premium Package)

We opted for the stock 15" wheel size based on input provided by Alex of Tire Rack. Our priority for this Mini is "ride comfort" rather than performance. (although I really did like the looks of the 17" propellor spokes). Because the rear visibility issues with convertibles and the fact that my wife is a school nurse where young children are, I felt the back up cameras / sensors were an absolute must have.

The following is a MiniUSA composite of our design build that we will be ordering this week. Hopefully other F57 owners will be posting information about their Mini's on NAM. I have faith that the new BMW framework enjoyed by the 3rd generation Mini owners since 2014 will be advantageous for the F57 model as well.

2016 F57 Mini Cooper Convertible

Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Looks excellent. I didn't drive the Cooper, just the MCS but my MA said it's way different with the turbocharger. Automatic or manual? Dynamic dampers?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree, looks great! I do love that color. Congratulations BTW!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 PM
DustinFennell
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Congrats! The most wives and daughters comment is a hoot, did you show that to them before hitting send? Are you sleeping on the couch tonight? Plenty of sons and husbands are equally clueless!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Very nice. Love the color too.

Side note:

Anyone happen to hear if Mini cancelled the 201X Superleggera?

Love the Union Jack influenced taillights on the concept.

Last edited by USA-RET; 04-26-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Looks excellent. I didn't drive the Cooper, just the MCS but my MA said it's way different with the turbocharger. Automatic or manual? Dynamic dampers?
We ordered the automatic without DDC.... My wife will be the primary driver of the car and I did research the dynamic dampers here on NAM. After reaching a build price of $34400.....I thought it was time to stop adding options This car is going to be a "trial fun" car... I am hopeful that the new BMW engine proves to be a reliable engine....

Last edited by MiniDad08; 03-18-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:43 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I agree, looks great! I do love that color. Congratulations BTW!
Thank you!! Do you happen to know if Mini ever released this color (Caribbean Aqua) before? I have seen a few Mini's with a similar color however I do not know if they are the same or a similar color.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:54 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Congrats! The most wives and daughters comment is a hoot, did you show that to them before hitting send? Are you sleeping on the couch tonight? Plenty of sons and husbands are equally clueless!
Actually..... I did not show them before I hit "send" I am however on the living room (La Z Boy) right now typing this response early this morning.. but not because I was kicked out of the bedroom...

The wife is actually very excited as I just came back yesterday from placing the order at Airport Mini in Cleveland Ohio. Now's a great time to take "advantage" of her excitement if you know what I mean All kidding aside.... it's nice to put a smile on her face with this new convertible "fun Mini"... although I do have some concerns for her about the blind spots in the rear corners when the top is up... Expensive experiment however I still feel better about this purchase compared to the almost purchase of the Road King Harley I/We were sitting on at the Harley shop last Fall. I'm hoping we can get a similar "open road" experience without the dangers associated with a motorcycle.....

Old 03-17-2016, 03:00 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Very nice. Love the color too.

Side note:

Anyone happen to hear if Mini cancelled the 201X Superleggera?

Love the Union Jack influenced taillights on the concept.
Thank you... Considering that Mini is discontinuing the roadster....I would be surprised if they went ahead with another 2 seater...
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-par...r-theyre-dead/

Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniDad08
Thank you!! Do you happen to know if Mini ever released this color (Caribbean Aqua) before? I have seen a few Mini's with a similar color however I do not know if they are the same or a similar color.
You're welcome! I believe it's one of the new colors that MINI has released. I sure do enjoy it a lot.

Two new colors are available: a throwback Caribbean Aqua blue meant to emulate Mini's original color palette and a new Melting Silver, which was first introduced on the new Clubman.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-19-2016, 06:50 PM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
"Born".....in Born Netherlands!!!

While researching where our new F57 will be produced (Born Netherlands) I discovered the following interesting photos.... Amazing that the population of Born is only 6,000 and the number of people employed by the Mini plant is 2,000. It had to be quite devastating for this community when Mitsubishi left.

More info at : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDL_Nedcar

Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Nice pictures , that born to be wild display, lol

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-24-2016, 12:18 PM
lasersailor2023
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We ordered the automatic without DDC.... My wife will be the primary driver of the car and I did research the dynamic dampers here on NAM. After reaching a build price of $34400.....I thought it was time to stop adding options This car is going to be a "trial fun" car... I am hopeful that the new BMW engine proves to be a reliable engine....
I took a leap of faith about 9 months ago and purchased a 2014 Cooper hardtop with about 4000 miles that was one of my dealer's service loaners. I needed a replacement car quickly, and I didn't have time to spec one perfectly and have it built-to-order. But this particular car had most of the options that I wanted - deep blue metallic paint, diamond plaid cloth/gray leather sports seats, sunroof, HK sound system - and my dealer gave me an aggressive discount + extended service agreement.

Now with 10,000+ miles it's proven to be totally reliable and a hoot to drive. BMW's turbo 3 cyl with automatic is a joy to drive aggressively - it's consumed no oil or otherwise given me any reason to question its longevity. Nothing has fallen off or stopped working, and the engine snarl and turbo whine makes me smile every day - no regrets here!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Originally Posted by lasersailor2023
I took a leap of faith about 9 months ago and purchased a 2014 Cooper hardtop with about 4000 miles that was one of my dealer's service loaners. I needed a replacement car quickly, and I didn't have time to spec one perfectly and have it built-to-order. But this particular car had most of the options that I wanted - deep blue metallic paint, diamond plaid cloth/gray leather sports seats, sunroof, HK sound system - and my dealer gave me an aggressive discount + extended service agreement.

Now with 10,000+ miles it's proven to be totally reliable and a hoot to drive. BMW's turbo 3 cyl with automatic is a joy to drive aggressively - it's consumed no oil or otherwise given me any reason to question its longevity. Nothing has fallen off or stopped working, and the engine snarl and turbo whine makes me smile every day - no regrets here!
Thanks for the feedback on the 3 cylinder engine!! Comforting to know that they are reliable. Our 2009 Mini engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine67K uses more oil than I am use to in a car. No visible burning smoke or anything however it still concerns me about the life of Peugeot engine in the 2nd Gen Mini's....

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Thank you... Considering that Mini is discontinuing the roadster....I would be surprised if they went ahead with another 2 seater...
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-par...r-theyre-dead/
Something of interest:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...dster-in-2018/

This has some Jaguar XK influences in the side view, with a definite Mini look from the front. I could see adding this to my garage in 2018.

and this:

http://jalopnik.com/report-the-mini-...8-p-1691971587

Can't wait to see concept vehicle of the "Minor".

As an aside, I had the opportunity to sit in the new Miata and was less than impressed with the interior (Miata had hard plastic visors). Also felt exceptionally cramped for me compared to the F56. Driver seat was about 2 clicks short going backward to hit my comfort spot. With roof up, could not enter without bumping head (not option to lower the driver seat like the Mini)

The new fastback is a fail in my eye (I'd call it a Faux Fastback). Offers nothing in the way of more storage (as you'd expect with a true fastback hatch) and is actually just a variation on the Convert.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/03/...t-the-mx-5-rf/

I was looking for another small car (about the size of the Mini) and the Miata fastback was a potential. Unfortunately, not Now.

Mini Superleggera is now on my radar

Attached Thumbnails New Mini Convertible F57 - Placing order this week-1458691363-miata.jpeg   New Mini Convertible F57 - Placing order this week-minisuperleggera2.jpg   New Mini Convertible F57 - Placing order this week-austin-powers-musical.jpg  
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 AM
sweetestbaboon
1st Gear
Incredible opportunity for a FREE SmartTOP module for your new F57 Convertible!

Hola fellow 2016 Mini Convertible F57 folks-
Since there is not a dedicated thread for the new F57 as of yet, I thought posting here would be best.
One of the most wonderful things I got for my last convertible (R57) was the SmartTOP module which allows much more flexibility & options when opening/closing top & windows- especially great was the one-touch feature wherein you could just hit the switch either on the remote or the console & the top would go up or down without you having to hold it the whole time. Really makes a world of difference & I miss it the most on my new F57.
Luckily the wonderful folks at mods4cars want to make one for the F57 but they need a car to work on to be able to do it. I spoke to a great guy over there by the name of Stefan who said if someone would loan them a car to check out, they’d be able to make a new module & of course this lucky person would be compensated with a FREE module of their own for their help in the process. Pretty good deal! Unfortunately, I myself am on the East Coast & these cats are on the West, so they’re looking for someone in the area (L.A., San Diego, Phoenix, Vegas, etc.) who will help them figure out the new style.
Please PM me with your contact info. if you’re interested & I will put them in touch with you lickety-split. But do so fast because I can’t wait to buy mine & I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of interest, so first come, first served as it were.
By the way, Stefan just told me they had a Corvette in & whilst the guy hung on the strip, they creatd a module & he went home with it that very weekend!
Thanks everyone & hope yer enjoying yer new F57’s as much as I’m diggin’ mine (which is absolutely the most!).
Be well & be good.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 AM
gwernerjr
2nd Gear
This is a new color that is exclusive to the F57 as of right now. It will probably trickle into the rest of the linup, but just like melting silver is exclusive to the F54, caribbean aqua is exclusive to the F57! Enjoy it!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gwernerjr
This is a new color that is exclusive to the F57 as of right now. It will probably trickle into the rest of the linup, but just like melting silver is exclusive to the F54, caribbean aqua is exclusive to the F57! Enjoy it!
Actually, Melting Silver is available now on the Hardtops and Convertibles! Digital Blue is now the Clubman exclusive. Kite Blue is back, but on the Countryman only.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM
gwernerjr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Actually, Melting Silver is available now on the Hardtops and Convertibles! Digital Blue is now the Clubman exclusive. Kite Blue is back, but on the Countryman only.
Good thing you keep me in line I'm slipping!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gwernerjr
Good thing you keep me in line I'm slipping!
Ha ha sorry..I'm just really excited that I may be able to Melting Silver on my next Hardtop a couple years down the line

Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Wcalderw
1st Gear
Ordered my mini convertible s

I can't wait...

Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thats a great combo, my R52 MINI is jealous.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Wcalderw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Thats a great combo, my R52 MINI is jealous.
My first mini. Now that I'm in love no other car look appealing...

Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 AM
sweetestbaboon
1st Gear
Indeed. Never been a "car guy" meself, but, boy, do I dig my Mini the most...

Quick Reply: F55/F56 New Mini Convertible F57 - Placing order this week