F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:30 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuke-em
This is a brand new engine and architecture on the first model-year run (2014 was so short that I'm lumping 2015 into this assessment). These growing pains happen with new cars from all manufacturers. We're not talking about toasters here. Cars are very complex machines and there's only so much you learn from testing. The important thing is that BMW is recognizing the issues and correcting them.
This! Is why I am not worried at all. A lot of BMW's best engines have done the same thing, see m60 and n54.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
On a whim yesterday afternoon I called my dealer to check the status on my new motor. Service rep said it was being test driven as we spoke. They were however having trouble coding the rear fogs. Said they would check further and call me Wednesday. Since I have an appointment at the Durham VA Thursday I told them I would pick up the car instead of them delivering it. Five minutes after hanging up I got a call from the service manager to ask how my car was. He was under the impression that I already had it. Anyway, I explained about the rear fogs and he's looking into it and I guess I'll find out the results when I pick the car up. Oh yeah, the reason he called was to see if I got the customer service survey and if I had filled it out yet. We agreed that it was a tad premature to rate my service department experience. I'll take care of that after I get the car back. I wasn't expecting the new motor to arrive until today.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got the word this morning...getting a new engine.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 AM
vetsvette
Old 03-02-2016, 08:37 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are they replacing b48s with the b46s? I have bms stage 1 and nm engineering intake, should I take these off before I go in? Same with my exhaust, or will it not make a difference?

Old 03-02-2016, 08:40 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jrodri7
This happened to be my third time in the dealer in a month - TPMS malfunction, this TSB to replace the bearing, and for the shifter and I told them they needed to make me happy (not that any of this was the dealer's fault.

They gave me a very large bag full of MINI swag - a briefcase, notebook, pen and a polo shirt.
Hopefully I'll get some swag...had a new transmission then the wiring harness shorted out, headlights had a short due to transmission installation and now a new engine in less that 2 years. It's like one of those abusive relationships you see on the hallmark channel. I keep coming back for more. The Nashville dealership has been awesome so far not like the dealership I bought my car from.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by honderpilot
Are they replacing b48s with the b46s? I have bms stage 1 and nm engineering intake, should I take these off before I go in? Same with my exhaust, or will it not make a difference?
I'd take off any mods if I had any...mine sadly is stock. Every time I think about spending money on mine something happens and I stick the money back in my pocket. Hahaha, I'm dying to get the JCW tune.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:47 AM
vetsvette
I removed my NM module and replaced the Cravenspeed intake with the stock unit. Just in case. I'll run it for the break-in period with only the JCW tune and after my first oil change I'll reinstall the NM. I'll change the oil at around 1K-1.2K miles. Don't like to run break-in oil longer than that.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Ok cool so I'll take them off, guess I'll leave on the exhaust and springs lol. Any word on if we get the new b46s or if I get another b48?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guide Bearing......

Has anybody with an automatic transmission been affected by this?

Hoopty

Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 AM
vetsvette
I didn't realize the problem affected the B48. After the '14 model the only cars getting the B48 was the JCW. I haven't heard about any of them being recalled. I'll be curious to hear what they do. Seems to me if they replace it with a B46 they would have to change the ECU also.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 AM
stephenthorn82
1st Gear
Originally Posted by VYPUR
Just got the word this morning...getting a new engine.
Are you still dealing with MOB or are you going to a different dealership? They keep saying they don't have the parts in yet and to just give them a call every two weeks or so. They said the exact same thing with the rear passenger recall :(

Old 03-02-2016, 12:21 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by stephenthorn82
Are you still dealing with MOB or are you going to a different dealership? They keep saying they don't have the parts in yet and to just give them a call every two weeks or so. They said the exact same thing with the rear passenger recall :(
Been going to MINI of Nashville, John and his service dept. have been awesome. I would NOT go back to MOB if they freaking begged me. Which is a shame I really liked the sales people I had worked with.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:54 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Back in it's "Crib"

So, the mini is back in it's "crib"(garage) after its recall service for the crankshaft bearing shells. Also had service for two other recalls... side impact bolsters and removing an engine oil sticker from engine compartment (sounds bizarre). Anyway, it is driving great, but, it always did. I never had any symptoms from the bearing shells. The service was fast... one day. I found the service pretty professional. The mechanic did slam a utility knife in the gap between the rear tailgate and the rear bumper (left small scratches in bumper that can not be seen with tailgate closed). But, I now have another utility knife. The scratches buffed out mostly. Also, a little grease like substance on some of the vinyl interior (came right off with cleaner). Moreover, I am happy to have my car back and loved the drive home. And, given the scope of the work, I think the work was pretty professional and clean. The service people are super friendly at Habberstad Mini in Huntington, Long Island. Can't wait to detail this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB-v__ec9c.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 09:11 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
My car has been confirmed to be on the recall list, my dealer said they got the recall last week, I will be scheduling it alongside my oil change next month.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Just detailed the car after the crankshaft bearing recall and took a nice long ride from Long Island to Westchester and Manhattan. It rode really nicely. Hopefully, no more recalls from here.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:34 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
For anyone who received a new engine, how long was the total process (days)?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 PM
vetsvette
They picked up my car on a Monday and I picked it up Thursday of the next week. They had to drop the pan and take pictures of the damage if any and send them to the head shed for direction to either replace the bearing or the motor. Then they had to order a motor. So, I guess 10-11 days for me. It would be less if they have a spare motor on hand or just have to replace the bearing. The wait wasn't that big of a deal since they supplied me with a loaner, and they corrected a few other warranty items while they had the car. I'm a little over 300 miles into my break-in period now.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For anyone who received a new engine, how long was the total process (days)?
I think a week-and-a-half is about average. The car has to be inspected, results sent to MINI, parts ordered/delivered and then installed and test driven. Mine actually sat for two days because the service dept. was so backed up.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
I'm not sure if getting a new engine is a good thing or not. I'm kind of excited but idk hahahaha. Thanks for your input

Old 03-07-2016, 10:51 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Ok cool so I'll take them off, guess I'll leave on the exhaust and springs lol. Any word on if we get the new b46s or if I get another b48?
I'd like to know this also.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:53 PM
George Grenier
Neutral
My '14 MCS was left at the dealership for inspection this morning. 20,000 miles on clock. 6spd manual. Westchester Mini in White Plains NY. I will let you know how it goes...

Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM
chrome mini
1st Gear
Upset with BMW

Hi All:
Took my beloved Mini in three weeks ago for a minor warranty problem and was told a few days later that I needed a new engine. WHAT!! Only 7000 miles on it.I didn't even know about this campaign. I am really upset as I don't want my new car torn apart. I went a few days ago to pick up something out of the car and I saw engine parts in a pile on the floor. Also they have to take the whole front end off to get access to removing the engine. I just have a bad feeling about the whole thing. I know that a big job like that can create many future problems.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:14 PM
chrome mini
1st Gear
Thrust bearing research

Hi all:
Did some research on thrust bearing wear. Apparently Mini is not applying this campaign to automatic transmissions. But I found that a torque converter that is part of an automatic transmission exerts some longitudinal pressure(although not as much as a manual) on the crankshaft. This pressure is what causes undue wear on the thrust bearing!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by chrome mini
Hi all:
Did some research on thrust bearing wear. Apparently Mini is not applying this campaign to automatic transmissions. But I found that a torque converter that is part of an automatic transmission exerts some longitudinal pressure(although not as much as a manual) on the crankshaft. This pressure is what causes undue wear on the thrust bearing!
Interesting. I wonder if this problem is fixed with the 2016's

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB