F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Cars you also considered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:49 AM
atmajor39
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars you also considered?

What cars did you cross shop your MINI with before buying? Also, what made you choose the MINI?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ultimately, it came down to price.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Kia Forte5 SX Turbo... but then I drove the MINI. ;-)

Wish I had its memory seats and heated steering wheel though.

I considered and rejected the Mazda3 and Golf before the KIA, FWIW.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Actually bought the MINI (wife has always wanted one) without cross shopping anything else. Since owning I have become quite the fan and decided to see if there were any other cars worthy of consideration (as I will be buying again in the future).

Looked at the:
VW GTI and Golf R
Audi R53
Mercedes A45 AMG
BMW M135i
Ford Focus RS
Audi S3
Audi TT Sport Back

Some of these are not available in the US market while some are. Just wanted to see if anything out their appealed to me as much as the MINI (specifically a decked out JCW-which will likely be our next purchase in the future @ around the $41-42K price point).

While some are clearly faster and some cost significantly more, none appealed to me as much as the MINI.
The MINI is distinct while most others look alike.

The stock MINI Cooper S can be bought and modified to perform at or close to the level of the most expensive listed above for way less money (JCW Tuning kit and NM or Burger tuner).

All comes down to personal tastes, but for me, there is no car out there to compare to the MINI as the total package.

Just my $.02

Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Actually bought the MINI (wife has always wanted one) without cross shopping anything else. Since owning I have become quite the fan and decided to see if there were any other cars worthy of consideration (as I will be buying again in the future).

Looked at the:
VW GTI and Golf R
Audi R53
Mercedes A45 AMG
BMW M135i
Ford Focus RS
Audi S3
Audi TT Sport Back

Some of these are not available in the US market while some are. Just wanted to see if anything out their appealed to me as much as the MINI (specifically a decked out JCW-which will likely be our next purchase in the future @ around the $41-42K price point).

While some are clearly faster and some cost significantly more, none appealed to me as much as the MINI.
The MINI is distinct while most others look alike.

The stock MINI Cooper S can be bought and modified to perform at or close to the level of the most expensive listed above for way less money (JCW Tuning kit and NM or Burger tuner).

All comes down to personal tastes, but for me, there is no car out there to compare to the MINI as the total package.

Just my $.02

LOL! You saved me putting down my $0.02 worth...since you took the words right out of my mouth!

But, here's my story....

I have always wanted a MINI since first seeing a first Gen brand new MCS at the BMW Spartanburg, SC Plant on 02-02-02 (that wonderful day in 2002 when the faithful BMW 2002 owners made the trek to Spartanburg....something I will always remember!). I am a long time BMW CCA Member.

The years passed while I restored & drove vintage Bimmers exclusively (except for my Jeep) until last year about this time when an '04 MCS showed up on a garage lot near my office (grey with black bonnet stripes)...that car got me thinking I need to buy one now (my jeep has 230k+ miles on it)!....from there my hunt took me to several MINI's at local used car dealer lots on Autotrader & on ebay, until a local car lot had a Chili Red 2007 JCW....by the time I called on it, the JCW had sold...quick sale...they don't last long!

Then, I came to the realization that I needed a JCW, so I narrowed my search, until one day on Autotrader I spotted a 2011 JCW (all black) in Philly...I watched it for awhile, then the price dropped to below $18k (50k+ mile/one owner car) and I decided to drive down to see it in person (with my checkbook just in case!)....the dealer really let me down by not following up with my request for pics erarlier or I'd have gone down sooner.

Well, it had just sold (get out the crying towel!)....jeeez, that really hurt...I loved that car...would have bought it on the spot most likely! At least I got to see the new owner pick it up and drive away in it...I even got to sit in it! LOL!

So, I was then hooked on a Black JCW, so I started playing on the MINI configurator and finding out that the manual transmission F56 JCW was AWOL when ordering...very frustrating to have to wait with no explanations from MINI as to why the USA was getting flooded with automatic JCW's, but no manual trans JCW's.....so, in the end my MT JCW was finally produced mid summer 2015 and is 1 of only 37 MT JCW's imported to the USA in 2015.

The wait was worth it...and, no, I never considered anything else. I did my research too on the mechanicals over the years of MINI production (Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3), and going with the total BMW produced twin scroll turbocharged 2.0 Liter engine was a real strongpoint for me pulling the lever & ordering the F56.

No car is perfect, but MINI has done a very good job overall with the F56 as far as I'm concerned. We just need to get winter over with so I can drive mine more!

John

Old 01-14-2016, 12:45 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I looked at quite a few cars, the closest in my mind were the Honda CR-Z and VW Beetle. Europe has more.

I wanted to replace my broken MINI.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 PM
fradaj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considered the Fiesta ST and Ecoboost Mustang. Could not find either configured like I wanted for a test drive. Ultimately found a Cooper with pretty cool options on the lot and liked how it drove. I also considered the new Miata but did not attempt to test drive one.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:29 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
If 2017 Miata comes out with a fastback HT version, I will likely add one to our garage (sharing space with out MINI S). A fast back would provide the extra storage under the hatch that is sorely need in the Coupe/Convert Miata of today. Supposedly, the fast back is really going to happen in 2017 rather than die as a rumor.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/8/2...-2017-7722230/

http://usa-auto-sales.xyz/2017-mazda-miata/

I like the smaller peppier cars than the larger ones. Those that have had Miatas have nothing but praise for the driving enjoyment (much like the MINI)

Attached Thumbnails Cars you also considered?-2017-miata-fastback.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 02:32 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Deleted. Damned site chopped half my post out and I'm not gonna type it all again.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
DustinFennell
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our MINI, which is on order, will replace a 2014 Lexus GS-350 F Sport. My wife wanted something really fun to drive (she liked the Lexus, but did not consider it "fun"). I drive a 2014 Audi SQ5, so this is her car.

She lived most of her life in England (Air Force brat) and they always had a MINI while stationed there. She's been wanting a MINI, but I had her look at the following before making a final decision:

- Audi TTS
- Audi S3
- Lexus RC-350
- Lexus IS-350
- Nissan 370Z
- Porsche Boxster

While she enjoyed driving most of the cars listed above, I could tell by the huge smile on her face as we drove up to the MINI dealer and then the even bigger smile she had while test driving that we were getting a MINI.

Our kids are grown and we don't currently have any grandkids, so now is the perfect time to have a fun car with zero consideration for passengers.

We placed our order on Dec 12th and I've been diggin in on the mod options and all the cool things you can do to your MINI to make it your very own. So much in fact, that I'm seriously considering ordering the new convertible for my daily driver.

Can't wait for our MINI to be delivered. Production date of 1/20/16....

Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM
KazO
2nd Gear
I was replacing my trusty E46 (MT) wagon. Requirements were a hatch, MT and back doors <$40k. No exceptions. That narrows things down in the US FAST.
FoST was out due to crappy options bundling and somewhat crappy interior.
FiST was out due to really crappy interior.
VW/Audi anything was out due to "perpetual CEL" and guaranteed 36mo+ rattle pkg.
Impreza (WRX are sedan only) was short on nicities.
Mazda3 was a close runner-up, but its options bundling made it pricey for an econobox.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Cross shopped against another R58 MINI Coupe' S, then bought a R58 MINI Coupe' JCW

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-15-2016, 06:50 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't cross shop. Before my MINI I had a FR-S and before that a Miata.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:09 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
If 2017 Miata comes out with a fastback HT version, I will likely add one to our garage (sharing space with out MINI S). A fast back would provide the extra storage under the hatch that is sorely need in the Coupe/Convert Miata of today. Supposedly, the fast back is really going to happen in 2017 rather than die as a rumor.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/8/2...-2017-7722230/

http://usa-auto-sales.xyz/2017-mazda-miata/

I like the smaller peppier cars than the larger ones. Those that have had Miatas have nothing but praise for the driving enjoyment (much like the MINI)
I REALLY love my MINI.

Until I read your post, I had no idea that Mazda even had a fastback version on the drawing board for the Miata. I love it. If it handles as well as the convertible, I would totally consider it as my next car. Knock on wood, I'm almost up to 18K on my 2014 Justa no problems so far.

As for the OP's topic, the first car I test drove was a MINI, and I fell in love. Call me stupid, but once I found out how it drove / handled, I began looking for the best price / options. That's that.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I had a 2007 MCS for 7 years before my JCW Coupe. Loved that car and love this one even more. It's basically a faster accelerating, faster stopping, tighter steering, better looking version of my R56 MCS. It's all good. One of the keys to Mini's difference is the low weight (2600 lbs).

Old 01-16-2016, 09:32 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Had an '02 Cooper for 6 months, then my '03 BTO S arrived... drove that 'till it was worn out (135,000 mi, suspension bushings & shocks shot, but still on OEM clutch) when I sold it off to make room for BTO '07 S. Added roof rack & luggage pod for the carrying capacity, glad I did.

That was a POS from almost Day01 due to recurrent breather issues. Finally sold it to dealer in trade for an off-the-lot '13 Clubman, the model I wanted when I bought the prior S but not yet available here. Racks worked fine but pod needed some mount-point adjusting before it'd fit.

Looked at a Ford C-Max before opting instead for current Clubman back in Dec. '12.

It's served me well. I drove the NEW Clubman and S versions last weekend, very impressive. 3 cyl. dual-scroll turbo with the 6-speed's as nice as my wife's '06 S Cabrio!

Not positive I need the extra room for the payment bump per month for another 6 years so looking at a hardtop at present. Sharpening pencil....

Last edited by sp_clark; 01-16-2016 at 09:38 AM. Reason: details, details....
Old 01-16-2016, 12:26 PM
dirtyscarab
2nd Gear
I had my eye on a Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-spec.
Similar HP and 0-60 times as the MCS. Just felt a bit sluggish compared to the MINI and the interior wasn't as nice. Plus, y'know, it's not a MINI

Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dirtyscarab
I had my eye on a Hyundai Veloster Turbo R-spec.
Similar HP and 0-60 times as the MCS. Just felt a bit sluggish compared to the MINI and the interior wasn't as nice. Plus, y'know, it's not a MINI
This was my finding also on cars that were competitive on price and performance, interiors were rather cheesy (Ford RS). The MINI is unique in outward appearance and has a BMW quality interior. Others that match interior quality either cost significantly more or have a very generic outward appearance that makes them look cookie-cutter (hot hatches).

IMO there are two small sized, go-kart fun to drive cars, that set themselves apart from the rest. MINI and the Miata. From a strictly practical stand point the MINI trumps the Miata for daily driver, grocery getter and small family car. New Fiat Spyder has potential (with its' X5 parts) but would not be 100% sure of the motor they are using (knowing Fiat's repair history).

Old 01-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Germarican
2nd Gear
Cars you also considered?

The only other car I considered was a '16 Golf R. I owned an R55 S while stationed in Germany, but when I picked it up in CA and drove it to its final destination in CO, my back told me to sell it.
Fast forward to November '15 and numerous issues with my wife's '12 Golf TDI, a change was required. I searched for a Golf R, but locating a manual R is a needle/haystack scenario. My wife always enjoyed the Mini so I went to test drive the F series. I know most enthusiasts do not like the softer suspension compared to the R series, but it was perfect for me (her). The dealership I went to had a special, 1500 off. I had my wife stop by after work and choose the baby I (she) would be enjoying for the foreseeable future. After choosing, she left and I worked the numbers. That day, we purchased a fairly loaded '15 F56 S in Iced Coffee with black roof and wheels.
A good day.

Attached Thumbnails Cars you also considered?-20160106_080926.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thought about getting another Miata, but the Mini looked easier to live with day to day w/o sacrificing any fun. Sold my 93 Limited Edition (31,000 miles) and bought my first 2012 Mini Justa about a year and a half ago. Then this last October bought my 2015 Mini. Love 'em.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:49 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Picking up on the Veloster concept-
My wife bought a 2013 Veloster Turbo new based on its looks and her previous good fortune with Hyundais. After three years she is ready to part with it. She started to realize what a dud it is when she rented a Golf in Ireland and realized what good steering felt like. Then (this is the good part) she drove her son's R53 which we have to sell, and really liked it, despite not liking the color. It looks like the Veloster is going to be sold and that we will be a two-Mini family. We will save some of the expected Veloster money to keep the 2003 R53 in top shape.
The Veloster almost never got up to 20 mpg in three years driving around town, but did upper 20's on trips. The steering was heavy and numb and it had a random drift on the highway. I'd better wait until I sell it before I go on...
She raves about the R53, and so do I. It's quite a bit nicer to drive than my R55, way more fun.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
When looking for a 'small car' .. my considerations were:

Classic VW Bug
Fiat 500
Mini Cooper
Miata
Honda CRX/CRZ

Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Quentin
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Picking up on the Veloster concept-
My wife bought a 2013 Veloster Turbo new based on its looks and her previous good fortune with Hyundais. After three years she is ready to part with it. She started to realize what a dud it is when she rented a Golf in Ireland and realized what good steering felt like. Then (this is the good part) she drove her son's R53 which we have to sell, and really liked it, despite not liking the color. It looks like the Veloster is going to be sold and that we will be a two-Mini family. We will save some of the expected Veloster money to keep the 2003 R53 in top shape.
The Veloster almost never got up to 20 mpg in three years driving around town, but did upper 20's on trips. The steering was heavy and numb and it had a random drift on the highway. I'd better wait until I sell it before I go on...
She raves about the R53, and so do I. It's quite a bit nicer to drive than my R55, way more fun.
I really never cared for the Veloster. It felt like a car designed to tick the boxes on a spec sheet but no detail given to make it all work together. The MINIs, IMO, are far more - as far as driving goes - than their spec sheets indicate.

For my household, we have an R53 that will go up for sale as soon as vacation is over. The only car we found as a replacement was the 2017 Clubman All4. The R53 wasn't getting driven much due to having a nearly 4 year old daughter, so we opted for the bigger Clubman. We drove the Countryman and just didn't love it, so several Toyotas have done family duty while my wife drove the MINI when she could.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
The Miata Fastback was a bust IMO. Looks like a fastback from the side, but the effect is achieved with roof skirts (for lack of a better word) extending the roof line mid trunk. Viewing the car from the back shows the rear window to be virtually vertical w/ no extra storage available. It's in effect a folding HT. Bummer. Was hoping to see something like the Solstice coupe.

Also noted on the 2016 Miata, the driver's (I'm 6'2" 180lbs) seat seems to be a bit cramped. In a full back position, I wish there was another couple of adjustment back. Interior is cheesy compared to the MINI, IMO. Plastic sun visors...just not up to the MINI standard.

If it was a true fast back hatch, I could maybe talk myself into it, but as is, not even a consideration. Will now wait for the MINI Superleggera.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I was looking for another daily driver and almost bought a Mazda 3. I was doing the final inspection and noticed the passenger side was completely repainted so I passed. Then I ended up finding a 6 year old garage queen R53 with only 8,600 miles. It lasted about a year as a daily before becoming a weekend car.

Originally Posted by MiniTigger
When looking for a 'small car' .. my considerations were:

Classic VW Bug
Fiat 500
Mini Cooper
Miata
Honda CRX/CRZ
What year Bug do you condsider a classic? I bought a '65 from the original owners in the late 80's and turned into a Cal Bug. Also bought a new '85 CRX and modded it after a few years.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Cars you also considered?