F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Squeaky Driver Door Window

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Squeaky Driver Door Window

I was going problem free in my '15 F56....and then the drivers window started to squeak every time the door closed....every single time. All are probably familiar with that last little nudge that the glass makes up into the seal...well, mine was driving me craaaaaazy. I knew something was wrong as after each car wash or rain, the noise went away. Took it to my dealer (who has always been great) and they indicated that they lubed the seal and gasket area with silicone. Bingo! Noise went away...for a day. Next day...noises out of that drivers side window like I've never heard before. Each and every bump and undulation on the road (including movements as minor as the car going up a driveway) produce stress squeaks around the entire window area now. Went back a second time to the dealer and a nice gentleman in service performed a "dollar bill" test on the window seal by closing the car door on it..dollar bill basically fell right out from between the window and seal. The wind noise also got ridiculously worse after the first fix. Going back in on Tuesday to see what the fix is going to be.
Anyone else with this issue?
This is one of those trade a small problem for a bigger one at this point. I have faith in my local dealer! MINI dealer, that is...

Old 11-01-2015, 01:07 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MINI squeaks very lightly from this area when I go slowly over things like speed bumps and the uneven surfaces of a gas station.

Will be interesting to see how you dealer fixes this, if they can.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:01 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MandB
This is one of those trade a small problem for a bigger one at this point. I have faith in my local dealer! MINI dealer, that is...
My #1 irritation with my '14 MCS is a window squeak in the driver's door! Almost as soon as I got my car (April 2014), I noticed that if there was a jolt, especially on the left side, I'd hear that squeak -- couldn't wait to get back to the dealer. I thought the door needed tightening, but no benefit.

Decided it was the window glass (slightly loose?), so on my 2nd visit, they applied some lubricant that stopped the noise for two days. I'd hoped they would do more.

On my next visit, the dealer still wouldn't do more than put a Band-Aid on the problem, but this time the fix lasted exactly 2 months. They claimed they wouldn't do more unless there was a technical bulletin!!!!!!!!!

I have never bought a new car and had a dealer do such a half-*** effort at dealing with a complaint. When I go in for that recall, I plan to insist. If they again use that technical bulletin excuse, I plan to find out if a dealer rule or a MINI/BMW rule and take it from there.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:41 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I have heard this also on the diver door on a 14' and 15'. Sounds to me like a limiter adjustment on the glass or the gasket need Gummi Fledge or something.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-27-2015, 01:19 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Hey guys...sorry for the delay with my report following the second dealer visit. It seems to have worked the second time around. It was also obvious that some additional lubricant (or perhaps something entirely different) was placed up in the window gaskets as there was a visible residue/film along the top sides of the windows when both doors were opened. I will keep an "ear" out to see how it all goes but still generally fine for now. I believe there will always be SOME noise from both window areas....just part of the design/flex of the vehicle. I am still convinced, however, that there is an inordinate amount of wind noise (and general outside noise on the freeway) which comes in to the these cars....even my wife's 2010 R56 doesn't seem to inhale as much outside noise at speed. All for now.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
my 2015 mcs started doing this after about 1 month. was driving me crazy until it rained and i realized this is just the window trim rubber drying out. the new rubber molding that are used are very hard and rough compared to older cars... i have 2 80's bmw's (635, 325) and i use gummi flege on these to keep the rubber nice and supple (oh yeah).

used this on my mini and bam no more squeaky squeaky

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...fl%2Caps%2C175

this stuff is indispensable for the DIY car care guy

Old 11-27-2015, 06:07 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MandB
Hey guys...sorry for the delay with my report following the second dealer visit. It seems to have worked the second time around. It was also obvious that some additional lubricant (or perhaps something entirely different) was placed up in the window gaskets as there was a visible residue/film along the top sides of the windows when both doors were opened. I will keep an "ear" out to see how it all goes but still generally fine for now. I believe there will always be SOME noise from both window areas....just part of the design/flex of the vehicle. I am still convinced, however, that there is an inordinate amount of wind noise (and general outside noise on the freeway) which comes in to the these cars....even my wife's 2010 R56 doesn't seem to inhale as much outside noise at speed. All for now.
Good luck to you. As I said above, a tightened door didn't help, then some lubricant lasted 2 days, then another lubricant (I think) last almost exactly 2 months.

Am planning to insist on some real action when I take my '14 MCS in for that recall.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Gummi PFlege is well known on the BMW side. Last time i heard they stopped using it at the dealership and switched to something else.

What did they use at the dealership this time ?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-01-2015, 12:19 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
ECST, no idea what they used this last time. I can already hear it starting to come back. Based on the suggestions here, I think I may get my own stick of the GUMMI F and then go to town on my own. Agreed with Atlantaorange that the rubber on these does seem to be pretty tough.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks, Part number used will be under the parts list on the receipt from the dealer, unless its a general performed repair line item.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 PM
hanzov69
Banned
This happened to me twice last week, both on particularly cold evenings (although it's garage kept). Now I'm going to have to keep an eye on it...