F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 US opens investigation of BMW/Mini

Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Pedro99
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The gubment strikes again! Jeez. Remember the rock group The Crash Test Dummies?

Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to avoid seeing them before they were famous.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:49 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I like the comments of the people after the article. Minis are "Major Junk" etc...
We all know that BMW are slow to make good especially in the first year of a new model. It took them 6 months to admit there was something wrong with my F56. The head mechanic at the dealership had no doubt but the approval process is quite silly.
I think motor vehicles should have a 30 day money back guarantee for starters....When your car jumps out of first gear send it back and get a new one if you want.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not sure why there needs to be an investigation. They discovered the problem, and have been doing the recalls for a while now. "Not quick enough" is fairly hypocritical of the NHTSA given they have a recent history of egregiously ex post facto test crash implementations a la putting modern crash standards onto late 90's Jeeps. Maybe the NHTSA should work on the basics before pointing fingers at companies with remedies already in place.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
recalls

I got one of those notices for my '15S. My car doesn't have a single rattle. I am putting it off until the next service. But, I hate the thought of them tearing apart my car, especially since owning three MINIS, no one has ever sat in the backseat.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Instead of fining them and the government getting the money, owners should get refunds.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I'm not sure why there needs to be an investigation. They discovered the problem, and have been doing the recalls for a while now. "Not quick enough" is fairly hypocritical of the NHTSA given they have a recent history of egregiously ex post facto test crash implementations a la putting modern crash standards onto late 90's Jeeps. Maybe the NHTSA should work on the basics before pointing fingers at companies with remedies already in place.
Because doing investigations justifies their existence. The are part of the gubment after all. Can you imagine putting a dummy in the back seat of a Mini and doing a crash test? Really?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
I honestly think it is a good thing they do this. After all they caught VW. It is appalling that they did what they did. Corporations can not be trusted. Those checks are to protect us. Self regulation does not work.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:23 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I honestly think it is a good thing they do this. After all they caught VW. It is appalling that they did what they did. Corporations can not be trusted. Those checks are to protect us. Self regulation does not work.
But those are entirely different violations. VW wrote code into the cars so they would remap the engine whenever the emissions equipment was detected so run it cleaner. Some lame crash test dummy thing in the back seat they can fix with some Styrofoam is hardly similar. It's like when Mini retrofitted the exhaust tips so you wouldn't burn your leg getting groceries out of the boot in the F56. Really?

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 09-29-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
But those are entirely different violations. VW wrote code into the cars so they would remap the engine whenever the emissions equipment was detected so run it cleaner. Some lame crash test dummy thing in the back seat they can fix with some Styrofoam is hardly similar. It's like when Mini retrofitted the exhaust tips so you wouldn't burn your leg getting groceries out of the boot in the F56. Really?
Guess I was reacting to the "so they can justify their existence..." line. I'm not saying that it is worth it for the foam bit or or not. I would prefer they make manufacturers comply not matter how small an issue.
I mainly take kids in my back of my car and if a piece of foam can make a small difference I'm all for it. BMW know the rules right from the start. They managed to pass the new European pedestrian safety standards by making the F56 look like a porpoise....;-). IMHO they should have done this right from the start.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Because doing investigations justifies their existence. The are part of the gubment after all. Can you imagine putting a dummy in the back seat of a Mini and doing a crash test? Really?
If you had read the actual crash test results, the MINI was threshold at the g-level of the rear seat occupants, within the measurable tolerance. MINI didn't like getting a "technical pass" and made steps to implement an improvement with the retrofit. Now, months later the NHTSA ignores the forward progress MINI is doing and wants to whine about the timliness of MINI informing the NHTSA. The investigation has nothing to do with the actual fix.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
That's informative Ryan. When you read that article in the link it twists the truth to make it sound way worse.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:07 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
This isn't a slam on the company as far as I see it; it is simple legalism. BMW had responsibilities they didn't live up to. That cost them.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HogWldFLTR
This isn't a slam on the company as far as I see it; it is simple legalism. BMW had responsibilities they didn't live up to. That cost them.
Oh its a slam on the company! BMW not moving fast enough indicates different priorities than safety. The only reason its not a big(ger) issue because it covers small number of cars.

Also, whats the deal with European safety standards? Why would that require to change the nose of cooper and essentially taking a little bit of its soul?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:26 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Found the answer to my question. Reference link for others.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature

Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I think they had to add about 2 inches to the front of the car because the radiator had to be more separated from whatever is in front of it. The gubment strikes again!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the article correct that BMW acknowledged the issues and devised a plan to address them, then failed to follow through and actually implement the plan?

Old 09-30-2015, 12:42 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
Is the article correct that BMW acknowledged the issues and devised a plan to address them, then failed to follow through and actually implement the plan?
That's my understanding - from an article online...

"Two months later, BMW agreed to a recall and later said it would do a "service campaign" to add padding to the rear side panels of 2015 Two-Door Hardtop Cooper models.

But the campaign was never done, and BMW never told NHTSA that it wasn't, according to the documents."

I just had the recall done last week and can't tell anything was done... no rattling, etc. I have my son in my car a few days a week and am more worried about his safety than interior noise issues.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
^^^How did your car get the recall fix if the "campaign was never done"? That is absolutely contradictory.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:44 PM
misterb
1st Gear
^^^How did your car get the recall fix if the "campaign was never done"? That is absolutely contradictory.
A. I didn't write the article.... pulled the quote directly from here... http://www.usnews.com/news/business/...-test-problems

B. I received the recall fix after my service advisor called me and offered it.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yea, sorry for not explaining my point. The article is clearly wrong, misleading, and/or incomplete, given you've already had the fix done. That's all, just another incorrect article.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:06 PM
misterb
1st Gear
Yea, sorry for not explaining my point. The article is clearly wrong, misleading, and/or incomplete, given you've already had the fix done. That's all, just another incorrect article.
Oh... Ok, thx for clarifying

Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Best post of the thread; I couldn't agree more. It's all about bonuses and getting rich from what I can tell.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:28 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fix was a stupid piece of foam glued to the plastic interior panel. I kinda doubt that this would be the difference in life or death for anyone.

I can't see why you would rush to fix this either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 US opens investigation of BMW/Mini