F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Hello From Another new mini owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:47 AM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello From Another new mini owner

Hi everyone! My name is tony and i live in Atlanta!

I just purchased my first mini, a 2015 volcanic orange cooper s. Sport, leather, comfort, cold weather, no nav or sunroof. I have been a long time vintage bmw driver, i still have an 89 e30 and a 85 euro 635... this is my first new car in 14 years. I have done allot of HPDE driving and allot of wrenching on old bmw's.

I have to say, i love it! That being said, i do have some questions. This forum seems really helpful, i have done some searches but not come up with all of the specifics answers, so any help is really appreciated

first one, how can i tell if i have the adaptive suspension. according to the mini build configurator, that comes with the sport package. When i looked at my dampers, i do not see the wiring harness going into the top of the shock tower. My car is an early 2015 build, was it possible to option sport without the ddc?

I will probably get at least new tires soon, the all season tires are not grippy enough for me. possibly new wheels (i like the RSe10) but not sure on that. What is the latest size tire that you guys have run on the 17" silver tentacle wheel? I belive thoe are 7"?

Next will be most likely the burger tune. I know there is that tune and nm engineering one. The NM looks simpler, only 1 connection. Has anyone done a comparo as which is the best? the car only has 500 miles on it so i think ill wait till the break in is done before

I am going to do springs and the rear sway bar also. That brings me back to the ddc and whether i have it or not. I read several threads talking about whether it is inadvisable to lower cars with the ddc. If i dont have it, that would be part of my decision. Atlanta roads are pretty terrible, i have a very low e30 with still springs and shocks and sways and poly bushings etc. I don't want the mini to be that still. Any advice on which springs are best would be great.

Anyway, i look forward to being part of this community!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:32 PM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantaorange

I just purchased my first mini, a 2015 volcanic orange cooper s. Sport, leather, comfort, cold weather, no nav or sunroof. I have been a long time vintage bmw driver, i still have an 89 e30 and a 85 euro 635... this is my first new car in 14 years. I have done allot of HPDE driving and allot of wrenching on old bmw's.

I have to say, i love it! That being said, i do have some questions. This forum seems really helpful, i have done some searches but not come up with all of the specifics answers, so any help is really appreciated

first one, how can i tell if i have the adaptive suspension. according to the mini build configurator, that comes with the sport package. When i looked at my dampers, i do not see the wiring harness going into the top of the shock tower. My car is an early 2015 build, was it possible to option sport without the ddc?

I will probably get at least new tires soon, the all season tires are not grippy enough for me. possibly new wheels (i like the RSe10) but not sure on that. What is the latest size tire that you guys have run on the 17" silver tentacle wheel? I belive thoe are 7"?

Next will be most likely the burger tune. I know there is that tune and nm engineering one. The NM looks simpler, only 1 connection. Has anyone done a comparo as which is the best? the car only has 500 miles on it so i think ill wait till the break in is done before

I am going to do springs and the rear sway bar also. That brings me back to the ddc and whether i have it or not. I read several threads talking about whether it is inadvisable to lower cars with the ddc. If i dont have it, that would be part of my decision. Atlanta roads are pretty terrible, i have a very low e30 with still springs and shocks and sways and poly bushings etc. I don't want the mini to be that still. Any advice on which springs are best would be great.

Very nice, I have a volcanic orange too!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:42 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the color! I have a volcanic orange MINI as well!

Last edited by mini_wisconsin; 09-13-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:45 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice car!

Regarding the DDC: It comes with the Sport package for MY2016, but MY2015 cars, the DDC was always a separate option. Your car probably doesn't have it.

A lot of people on the boards here have the BT and seem to have pretty good luck with it. I have the NM Eng module myself and while I haven't seen anyone compare the two in real life, it definitely makes a difference in performance, it was easier to hookup and looks a lot cleaner.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:24 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
thanks for the replys! I never thought i would own an orange car, but this color really suits the personality of the mini. i get a ton of compliments on it. there are 2 other VO ones that live near me but they are not s'

siriuszero, that makes sense. i had looked at the configurator and assumed my 2015 had the ddc.

spent some quality time in the garage, polished the hood, full wax\sealer on everything but the roof. i still need to do a polish on that. this car was on the dealer lot for a few months so i had to clay and polish.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ddc is in the sport park for 16 only.Does your car have wires running to the top of your strut mount?Ddc cars have been lowered with springs with good reviews but I would net recommend doing so.Look at the Jcw pro suspension if you plan to lower the car.

If stayinging with a 17 you can get a 215/45/17 or 215/40/18 without rubbing. Try to find a wheel with a 8 inch width and a 45et, bbs has some priced from low to the mid range.Any higher or lower offset and it will rub with a 215.

Look at a racechip I have been running one for 3000+ miles with only smiles.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:23 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
Ddc is in the sport park for 16 only.Does your car have wires running to the top of your strut mount?Ddc cars have been lowered with springs with good reviews but I would net recommend doing so.Look at the Jcw pro suspension if you plan to lower the car.

If stayinging with a 17 you can get a 215/45/17 or 215/40/18 without rubbing. Try to find a wheel with a 8 inch width and a 45et, bbs has some priced from low to the mid range.Any higher or lower offset and it will rub with a 215.

Look at a racechip I have been running one for 3000+ miles with only smiles.
thanks! yeah i didnt see the wire running to the struts so that was my tip off, but wanted to be sure i wasnt missing something. i was looking at the jcw pro kit, that looks pretty sweet. i will probably stay with stock for the moment, i am not planning in tracking this car yet so no reason to make it too stiff. my e30 will be just fine for that i am probably going to get spacers if i stick with the stock 17's, the 215's sound good.

ill check out racechip, thanks!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:31 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks! yeah i didnt see the wire running to the struts so that was my tip off, but wanted to be sure i wasnt missing something. i was looking at the jcw pro kit, that looks pretty sweet. i will probably stay with stock for the moment, i am not planning in tracking this car yet so no reason to make it too stiff. my e30 will be just fine for that i am probably going to get spacers if i stick with the stock 17's, the 215's sound good.

ill check out racechip, thanks!

The Jcw suspension is very plush on 215/40/18s and not anything even near stiff, on a 215/45/17 it would ride as plush as a caddilac and corner like a mini.

5 or maybe a 10mm spacer if you plan to run 215s.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
The Jcw suspension is very plush on 215/40/18s and not anything even near stiff, on a 215/45/17 it would ride as plush as a caddilac and corner like a mini.

5 or maybe a 10mm spacer if you plan to run 215s.
thanks!

just ordered a full clear bra, protection first!

Old 09-14-2015, 07:00 PM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
thanks!

just ordered a full clear bra, protection first!
Yeah I get mine on Wednesday too.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Carwash
1st Gear
Where are you getting your bra from?
From Columbus and interested in finding out who to use...

Old 09-14-2015, 07:50 PM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Carwash
Where are you getting your bra from?
From Columbus and interested in finding out who to use...
Dealer, they have a guy that comes in and does the invisishield. Custom to the car and fitted to line up with gaps and corners.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM
caiken
2nd Gear
Hello From Another new mini owner

Originally Posted by LordWinslow
Yeah I get mine on Wednesday too.
Love my clear bra. Wish I had gone for the entire hood. Mini paint sucks.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 PM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by caiken
Love my clear bra. Wish I had gone for the entire hood. Mini paint sucks.
I got an acrylic sprayed on the whole car, can't remember off the top of my head what it was called. But it was another paint protection.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
i ordered mine from invisiblemask. they sell all sorts of different sized kits and pieces. i also have a roll of the 3m stuff that i cut to fit as needed.

all new car paints suck, this is part of the efficient way they are sprayed on, the manufacturers use as little paint and clear as possible. this is why we have such bad orange peel and why things chip so easy. in just under 3 weeks i already have a small chip in the front bumper.

oh an my car had to back in the shop today, horrible squealing, maybe belts??? took a video, of course when i took it in it didn't make any noise

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1573.MOV (2.38 MB, 40 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Congrats, I think i spotted and E30 325is also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 AM
atlantaorange
2nd Gear
yep, my other 2 rides are an 89 325is and an 85 euro 635

i have barely driven either since i picked up the mini....

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
yep, my other 2 rides are an 89 325is and an 85 euro 635

i have barely driven either since i picked up the mini....
Nice, looks like real alpina e30 wheels The MINI is really fun, you will get lots of looks, I came from an e30 convertible and an E34.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
yep, my other 2 rides are an 89 325is and an 85 euro 635 i have barely driven either since i picked up the mini....
I had both of those BMW 's , not the same year but close enough. Wish I still had one of them.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I had a 1988 325is same color as yours, same color seats too. Paid $26k for it new. I remember I put a CD changer in it when they were new! Best car I ever had until I got my 2007 MCS. Congrats on the new Mini.