F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Bad air smell

Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

You guys crack me up.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Craig Engel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 2014 MINI S (build date April 2014) suffers from the same odors detailed above. I spoke with our SA (Portland MINI) yesterday about the problem. SA told me that MINI has recognized that the current "fix" requiring the replacement of the A/C evaporator was not
working and the current service bulletin/campaign #SIB-64-02-14 has been suspended as of last week. Unknown when a new repair will be proposed/authorized. So we wait. The only positive is that fall is here and A/C use is minimal.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Well, good to know that they are aware, even though they don't have a fix. Going in next week to dealership to open a "Ticket" on our car (build date May 2015) so it will be on record and eligible for any upcoming adjustments/updates.

Looks like Fabreeze vent clips will have to do in he interim.

We still love our smelly little bugger

Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And back to the dealer we go again. Over the past couple of days the "smell" is back. Dealer said no open TSB's since I am suppose to have the latest "fix". What a PITA this is turning into.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:07 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
BMW/MINI closed the TSB as they could not find a permanent fix for the problem. Apparently they have one in the works which may solve the problem.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had appt. scheduled for the A/C/evaporator to be replaced. I called and cancelled the appt. based on that this is not the fix. I also do not want the car torn apart for no reason. Keep us posted also IF Mini finds a "fix." Not sure if dealer will alert me when the time comes.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:41 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by D.D.
Had appt. scheduled for the A/C/evaporator to be replaced. I called and cancelled the appt. based on that this is not the fix. I also do not want the car torn apart for no reason. Keep us posted also IF Mini finds a "fix." Not sure if dealer will alert me when the time comes.
Just so you know, there are two separate issues with the bad air smell. The first one was a design flaw to the AC evaporator. Water wasn't draining and mold would form. This produced a smell (dirty sweat socks) which continued to blow into the car as long as the AC was running. (issue was on F56 models built from inception until April of 2015- models after that date had the new redesigned Evaporator installed at the factory)

This issue was resolved with a redesigned evaporator and a TSB to dealerships to replace all defective Evaporators on those cars.

The second issue is occurring in cars with the new evaporators (from the factory or those replaced by the dealerships). This issue is a vinegar like smell coming from the AC vents only when the car is first started and then only for a few seconds. This is the issue BMW has no fix for yet.

Last edited by USA-RET; 10-27-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 PM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the clarification...........I have the Ceasar Salad syndrome going on. The vinegar smell only lasts for a few minutes and then dissapates. I really appreciate the info as I plan to wait for the fix and do not want to needlessly have the Mini pulled apart.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Just so you know, there are two separate issues with the bad air smell. The first one was a design flaw to the AC evaporator. Water wasn't draining and mold would form.
This issue was resolved with a redesigned evaporator and a TSB to dealerships to replace all defective Evaporators on those cars.
Believe it or not there are 3 issues at hand for 2014-early 2015 production vehicles in regards to the HVAC system:

1) The condensate drain line was not installed properly and/or became kinked which caused water to "bubble up" into the passenger side floor board.

(above happen to me within 3 hours of taking delivery -- took dealer 2 days to correct)

2) The original evaporator issue which has been discussed many times, the lining of it caused the build up mold producing the bad air smell for about 3-5 minutes once the A/C was turned on from a "cold" start. The fix to this was campaign # SIB-64-02-14; remove and replaced evaporator, replace micro filters, check drain fittings, recharge A/C system

(above happened to me, took dealer 4 months of waiting for the campaign to become available before it was addressed, and 3 days at the dealer to correct)

3) And now the new issues with the replaced evaporator which is causing a mold type smell (call it what you want, but it's mold/mildew) when the A/C is turned on from a "cold" start; the only difference this time is the smell does not seem to last as long, usually clearing out within a minute or so.

(above happening to me now, dealer has no solution, reported to MINI USA -- I should jump for joy, right?!? Maybe MINI USA will send me a free hat for my troubles)

My thoughts on #3 -- the smell will begin to last longer as this mold continues to grow.

The REAL problem with all of this is BMW/MINI does not have a solution. I am told there is no open TSB or campaign for this so the only option available is replacement of the cabin filters (which we all know won't fix the underlaying problem).

At this point I am not in anyway thrilled with BMW/MINI's response. I love my MINI, this being my 2nd, however, the excuses and trips to the dealer are becoming old at this point for something which should have been fixed long ago.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:21 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperB
Believe it or not there are 3 issues at hand for 2014-early 2015 production vehicles in regards to the HVAC system:

1) The condensate drain line was not installed properly and/or became kinked which caused water to "bubble up" into the passenger side floor board.

(above happen to me within 3 hours of taking delivery -- took dealer 2 days to correct)

2) The original evaporator issue which has been discussed many times, the lining of it caused the build up mold producing the bad air smell for about 3-5 minutes once the A/C was turned on from a "cold" start. The fix to this was campaign # SIB-64-02-14; remove and replaced evaporator, replace micro filters, check drain fittings, recharge A/C system

(above happened to me, took dealer 4 months of waiting for the campaign to become available before it was addressed, and 3 days at the dealer to correct)

3) And now the new issues with the replaced evaporator which is causing a mold type smell (call it what you want, but it's mold/mildew) when the A/C is turned on from a "cold" start; the only difference this time is the smell does not seem to last as long, usually clearing out within a minute or so.

(above happening to me now, dealer has no solution, reported to MINI USA -- I should jump for joy, right?!? Maybe MINI USA will send me a free hat for my troubles)

My thoughts on #3 -- the smell will begin to last longer as this mold continues to grow.

The REAL problem with all of this is BMW/MINI does not have a solution. I am told there is no open TSB or campaign for this so the only option available is replacement of the cabin filters (which we all know won't fix the underlaying problem).

At this point I am not in anyway thrilled with BMW/MINI's response. I love my MINI, this being my 2nd, however, the excuses and trips to the dealer are becoming old at this point for something which should have been fixed long ago.
Mine was May 15 production so the Evaporator was the redesigned model. I had the kinked line and water in the passenger compartment also..Now have the same short duration smell on cold start. Thankfully it lasts only a short time and does not recur during the days driving when motor is started and stopped throughout the day. Only Morning start-up.

I have faith that the problem will be resolved. It has to be associated with the drain and the condensation forming on other parts of the evaporator not getting to the drain. Since we can put men into space and Challenger Deep they can surely resolve this issue. (hopefully)

Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Next dealer appt scheduled for tomorrow. I hate to be this way but I will continue to take it in for the same problem until MINI comes up with a solution. I didn't pay $32,000 for my vehicle to smell like mold when I turn on the A/C.

I'm sure I'll once again get: we replaced the cabin filters and reported the issue to MINI, nothing more we can do at the moment.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Quick update -- car is still at the dealer. They honestly don't know what is causing the smell and as already mentioned can't replace the evaporator again as that campaign has been suspended by MINI USA. Dealer claims to be in contact with the field engineers and last response was an engineer was heading to them to look into the issue. We shall see what comes of this.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
The smell in our 2014 S hardtop has become unbearable

Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Quick update -- car is still at the dealer. They honestly don't know what is causing the smell and as already mentioned can't replace the evaporator again as that campaign has been suspended by MINI USA. Dealer claims to be in contact with the field engineers and last response was an engineer was heading to them to look into the issue. We shall see what comes of this.
MINI/BMW knows of the unresolved problem (reason the pulled the TSB since it didn't remedy the issue completely). Obviously the problem goes deeper than just the evaporator. It's going to be like trying find a roof leak from the inside of a house (nearly impossible). New cars are fine, then after a while they develop a smell on start up. Don't know how they are going to find the problem without observing operation from the inside.

On the positive, the smell after the evaporator fix is a temporary one and only on start up. The Negative, no way this should even be happening in a car that can cost upwards of $40K.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:49 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
MINI/BMW knows of the unresolved problem (reason the pulled the TSB since it didn't remedy the issue completely)....

On the positive, the smell after the evaporator fix is a temporary one and only on start up. The Negative, no way this should even be happening in a car that can cost upwards of $40K.
Agree! That's my primary issue with MINI USA, not the dealer. The dealer is trying everything possible while not keeping the vehicle "excessive" amounts of time. The dealer and MINI USA know they can't keep the vehicle for an extended period of time as it counts towards days out of service for the same/repeat issue which opens a new can or worms for them.

Latest update from the dealer and a field engineer: Check and replace all drain fittings, clean the evaporator with a tool/chemical, replace cabin filters.

I flat out told the dealer this will be a "band-aid/temporary" fix -- you and I both know this. While the dealer would not say 100% yes -- you could tell they took this solution with a "grain of salt".

The question is how long until it comes back? And what tool is needed to spray a can of solvent into the evaporator, come on MINI USA you gotta do better spinning this -- at least make it sound realistic. Come up with a TSB with fancy wording for "we don't know what else to do, lets spray some chemicals and air freshener in there and hope for the best". Call it TSB # operationstinky007

Old 11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
We can always hang a Fabreeze car vent freshener on the vent (pumpkin for fall, evergreen or peppermint for Christmas, Wintergreen for winter, Floral for Spring, and perspiration for Summer)

Agreed, the proposed fix of flushing the Evaporator and Cabin Filter replacement isn't likely to remedy the underlying problem. Somewhere moisture is collecting and mildewing or the coating used in the evaporator drain network is causing the smell over time when exposed to moisture.

With the vinegar smell I'm getting (rather than the continuing mildew/moldy smell from the old evaporator) I'm leaning towards a chemical reaction somewhere in the drain system that is causing the issue.

Above my pay-grade to figure it our.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
MES11
2nd Gear
I just started getting the smell in my 2015 JCW. It was built in June and delivered in July. It only happens after the car's been sitting for a while and goes away mostly after a couple minutes. Not planning on doing anything at this point. Not unless it gets worse.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:55 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MES11
I just started getting the smell in my 2015 JCW. It was built in June and delivered in July. It only happens after the car's been sitting for a while and goes away mostly after a couple minutes. Not planning on doing anything at this point. Not unless it gets worse.
Oh, it will.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 AM
leftywayn
1st Gear
Does every mini Hardtop have this problem ?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was wondering how this overlaps with the sunroof. Sun kills!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:56 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by leftywayn
Does every mini Hardtop have this problem ?
Good question. It would appear the answer is no. I have yet to come across this issue with later 2015 production date vehicles, at least not that I can find on public forums.

However, this issue is not immediate (regarding the smell) and it follows a pattern of a brief smell upon A/C turn-on (lasting at on-sent a couple seconds) and becomes worse and longer lasting over time. If you have a noticeable smell it will become worse over time as the mold spores multiply and grow (sounds yummy, huh? )

Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 AM
leftywayn
1st Gear
Good question. It would appear the answer is no. I have yet to come across this issue with later 2015 production date vehicles, at least not that I can find on public forums.

However, this issue is not immediate (regarding the smell) and it follows a pattern of a brief smell upon A/C turn-on (lasting at on-sent a couple seconds) and becomes worse and longer lasting over time. If you have a noticeable smell it will become worse over time as the mold spores multiply and grow (sounds yummy, huh? )
I have yet to take delivery of my MCS, but this is certainly alarming. I hope they've engineered a resolution on newer built copies.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Seems to affect only the F56 cars.

Mine is a newer production (May 2015) with the corrected Evaporator (1st Evaporator design correction) installed at the factory during production.

I had a kinked drain line which flooded the passenger side foot-well and that issue was corrected at the dealership - mine was not the only MCS coming in for this warranty work either).

The "vinegar smell" developed after the kinked drain line was corrected. Seems the vinegar smell on start up is now cropping up in many of the MCS cars regardless of the build date or whether a new evaporator is/was installed.

Guess most have it but many drivers are likely ignoring it or have impaired "sniffers".

Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi-De-Ho
1st Gear
My F56 was built April 1, 2015. I ran the AC throughout the summer, but I have not had air quality problems after driving about 4000 miles.

Geographic location/climate likely plays a role as well. It looks like many cars with problems are in Florida or Georgia (though I am in Tennessee and it gets very humid here as well).

Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
You may have a point and it's worse based on location/climate and actual A/C usage. That said, this does not excuse MINI from solving this problem once and for all.

Maybe a link to automatic climate control as well -- when in this mode (I use it 99% of the time) unless your asking for heat at full blast I believe the A/C is on regardless of thermostat setting to help dehumidify the vehicle. I could be wrong but even on cooler mornings here in Georgia right now with a thermostat setting at 70/72 my A/C cycles on and off during my commute.

It also has something to do with the vehicle sitting & not running. I only find the smell bad (open the window type bad) in the mornings upon initial startup, thus after it's been garaged for the night (10-12 hours). Once it's been running for a couple minutes the smell is gone and when re-starting the vehicle later in the day (lunch time, errands, leaving work) the smell it not present.

Still in the loaner -- no more news back from the dealer as of yet, been 6 days going on a full week tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Bad air smell