F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 Oil Change Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked 2 Local walmart for oil.
Cant find any 5w30 that is approved by BMW Longlife 01
The ONLY Jug i found that was approved is the Castrol European Formula 0W40 or 30. Dont rememebr which one, can the F56 take anything other than 5W30?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 AM
jtoddpaul
1st Gear
I order all of my oil online for the Mini and get exactly what I want; ECS Tuning offers a great deal and fast shipping.

However, according to the Mini Owner's Manual:
Viscosity grades for engine oils - When selecting an engine oil, ensure that the engine oil belongs to one of the viscosity grades SAE 0W-40, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-40, and
SAE 5W-30 or malfunctions or engine damage may occur. The engine oil quality is critical for the life of the engine.
Approved oil types - You can add oils with the following specifications:
Gasoline engine:
BMW Longlife-01 BMW Longlife-01 FE
Additional information about the approved types of oils can be requested from the service center. Alternative oil types If the approved engine oils are not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an oil with the following specification can be added: Gasoline engine API SM or superior grade specification
Engine oil change: The vehicle manufacturer recommends that you let the service center change the motor oil. Mini recommends Castrol.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtoddpaul
Honestly, I'm just going to continue using the two access panels when performing future oil changes. No doubt, the access you get inside these panels isn't that great; the oil drain plug access is fine, access to the oil filter is a bit more cumbersome, but doable.

Thanks for the above info!

I decided to do my first oil change past weekend at 2700 miles on my a-month-old MCS using the two access panels AFTER reading the above.
I gave a brief thought about removing the complete panel (like I have to on my Mustang 5.0 w/ no access panel), but determined it was a bit too much PIA.

IMO, the two panels are more than adequate for accesing the crankcase oil drain plug and oil filter.
Wait! Those 2 panels are exactly what they are desingned for!

Last edited by Chazman; 11-03-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fenderpicks
I checked 2 Local walmart for oil.
Cant find any 5w30 that is approved by BMW Longlife 01
I used Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W-30 with API rating of SN which is specifically designed for turborcharged egniner accroding to Mobil website.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
jtoddpaul - Thanks for the nice words.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-25-2014, 04:38 PM
kellmark
1st Gear
just a thought on oil changes. For those of you that want to change your own oil and save money or just enjoy doing it, more power to you. But I suggest that you find an effective way of documenting it regarding the date and the type of oil, etc. Maybe a video tape of the process with the receipt of the oil, etc.?

The reason I don't do this is because of the nature of the Mini. It is critical that oil be changed and properly done. That is why I go to the dealer, even if I have to pay more.

I have a 2007 R56S, which is low mileage and not driven hard. It is my weekend car. But I change the oil every 5K miles at the dealer, no matter what.

I happened to be at the dealer the other day, when I heard about an owner who had an engine failure, and claimed the cost with Mini. But they could not show that the oil had been changed over a period of 27,000 miles, even though they claimed that they had. I doubt that they will get Mini to pay for much, if anything.

These cars are high performance cars, and they can have issues They have to be maintained well. But there also has to be proof that they were maintained. That is why I go to the dealer. My car is long out of warranty, but if a defect shows up like a timing chain issue, etc; they said they would have my back, if I keep changing the oil like I have. It is worth it to me.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:56 PM
jtoddpaul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kellmark
just a thought on oil changes. For those of you that want to change your own oil and save money or just enjoy doing it, more power to you. But I suggest that you find an effective way of documenting it regarding the date and the type of oil, etc. Maybe a video tape of the process with the receipt of the oil, etc.?

The reason I don't do this is because of the nature of the Mini. It is critical that oil be changed and properly done. That is why I go to the dealer, even if I have to pay more.

I have a 2007 R56S, which is low mileage and not driven hard. It is my weekend car. But I change the oil every 5K miles at the dealer, no matter what.

I happened to be at the dealer the other day, when I heard about an owner who had an engine failure, and claimed the cost with Mini. But they could not show that the oil had been changed over a period of 27,000 miles, even though they claimed that they had. I doubt that they will get Mini to pay for much, if anything.

These cars are high performance cars, and they can have issues They have to be maintained well. But there also has to be proof that they were maintained. That is why I go to the dealer. My car is long out of warranty, but if a defect shows up like a timing chain issue, etc; they said they would have my back, if I keep changing the oil like I have. It is worth it to me.
I own a 2000 Porsche 911. I change my own oil in that vehicle. There aren't many more "high performance" vehicles than made by Porsche that are in the somewhat affordable range. I will NEVER buy that you have to take your car to a dealer to get your vehicle maintaned well. That's just simply drinking the kool-aid! They are sales and marketing franchises that make you feel like you are spending your money wisely. You aren't!

To each his own however.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 PM
kellmark
1st Gear
I never said you shouldn't change your own oil. I said more power to you if you do so. But I also said that there are good reasons to document it well in case you have a component fail that might be covered by the manufacturer if you have done all of the recommended maintenance.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
The reason I don't do this is because of the nature of the Mini. It is critical that oil be changed and properly done.
True.
But also true for today's many cars if not all (with internal combustion engine that uses oil).

That is why I go to the dealer
Completely opposite here.
That is why I do it myself .

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Approved oil types
BMW Longlife-01 BMW Longlife-01 FE
Mini recommends Castrol.
Does anyone know if above oil is whether API SM or SN rated?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
UPDATE: The amount of oil used in the F56 MCS is actually 5L (5.3 quarts)
Similar result seen after my oil change.

I added only 5 qts and the dash indicated 97% full.
So, I'm guessing 5.3 qts would make 100% or little higher (dunno).
Would the electronic dip stick indicate higher than 100% on the dash if added too much?
For example, if someone puts in 6 qts total, would it indicate something like 118%?

I'm still at 97% right now after driving about 100 miles.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chazman
Does anyone know if above oil is whether API SM or SN rated?
Sheet I found indicates 0W30 is CF; the 0W40 and 5W40 are SN/CF; and the 5W30 is SL/CF.

The 5W30 is not rated LL01, all the rest are.

Only the 0W30 carries the A3/B3 rating.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:45 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Indy

I take the used oil to Autozone. They take back pretty much everything (except hydraulic fluid), including old parts like rotors. I'm sure the other parts chains offer the same service. I've been taking care of my own vehicles for some time now. If nothing else, it's a great way to "know" what's going on with your car, and I have the confidence it's done right. I have a European shop that I have a great relationship with; if I'm not confident about what I need to do, I'll take my cars there. I've never been a fan of dealerships for several reasons.
Its great to have a shop that you can trust, whether an Indy or a dealer.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 PM
BRP27
1st Gear
Newby Question

I have a 2015 Mini Cooper Hardtop S. I live 150 miles from the nearest dealer and will be doing the oil changes.

Can the Service Interval Light (SIL) be reset by other than Mini and what is the procedure.

Last edited by BRP27; 10-19-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: It is a F56
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
$49.99 @ the dealer.......in and out in 45minutes or less.
OEM oil, filter, and the peace of mind it is done correctly.

Ever hear of the guy who drove off to work the next day and droped the oil out a loose plug or filter?
Cost him a new engine, and for saving very little cash.......Nightmare!?!?!?

I hear and see PEEPS talk about the dealers like they have a virus or something.
Don't understand the inability to have a good relationship with the dealer whom sold you the car to start with. But I guess it happens.

They pay for the 1 year/10,000k
I pay for the 6 month/5,000k

Great trade off, yes?

Motor On Guys n Gals
I like your logic. I will be doing the same thing. I don't have the time to mess around with oil changes. Don't want the potential oil mess on my garage floor (it happens!). Don't want to be bothered taking the used oil to someone who will take it. I don't mind spending $50. for a 6-month oil filter/oil change followed by the dealer footing the bill at the 12-month mark. Motor on!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Conrad_Thomaier
Are you going to get your oil analyzed? I'd be interested in comparing the results to the results from the guy that changed his oil at 1000 miles.
Quite frankly, I'm not that interested enough to get the oil analyzed. It would be great to know the results, but either way, it won't change anything for me. One thing of interest that I noticed was how much lighter in color the Mini Synthetic 5W-30 appears to be right out of the bottle. Plus how much darker the oil is coming out of the vehicle (although my understanding of synthetic oils is that this is normal as they contain lots of detergents and additives that keeps the engine clean and pulls much of the moisture out of the system).
There's nothing one can really tell by the color or smell of used oil. If the engine isn't functioning properly, early oil changes can help but will not prevent eventual damage. A properly functioning engine can have better oil condition at 10k than a faulty one at 5k change interval.

Oil analysis shows more than metal wear, it gives you an idea about filtration integrity, presence of antifreeze (faulty head gasket), fuel dilution (faulty injectors), water (moisture), viscosity, insolubles, flash point, remaining Base number and the strength of the additive package. These things aren't measurable by the human eye and nose.

IMO, early oil changes, without data to back up its benefits, has more of a placebo effect. It's like using expensive dietary supplements without relying on blood tests to find out if the body actually absorbs them.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:59 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
They pay for the 1 year/10,000k
I pay for the 6 month/5,000k
I also plan on getting my oil changed as above.

I was curious: would the Conditions based service indicators change (date or mileage for service) if oil was changed more often?

Since MINI pays for the service when the indicators dictate service be performed, I was concerned that I'd be receiving fewer MINI paid for services by going the above route.

FYI, I had the oil changed at around 1000 mi (post break in), and I plan on having it changed again at 5000 mi (paid for by me), then MINI at 10K or when the service indicators dictate, then at 15K (paid for by me), etc...

Has anyone located a service milestone's list (ie. mileage, and the services to be performed?) I can't seem to locate any such document for the F56 apart from "look at the conditions based indicators", which doesn't tell the user anything.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:15 PM
ferrarimanf355
1st Gear
This is what I'm leaning towards, BRG with the white roof and mirrors.

Does anyone have an idea on what the maintenance program extension costs? I'm thinking about that too.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
Classic color combo.

I didn't get it, but my dealer's extended warranty was almost $2,900. Extended maintenance was about $1,800.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
ferrarimanf355
1st Gear
Hm, going to have to think this one over. Hopefully I can find employee pricing or something of the sort to save some money and put it back into the extended maintenance.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Here are some more info for F56 Justa. I found a PDF file from MINI somewhere while searching technical specs some time ago.

F56/F56S:
Engine oil 4.25 L (4.49 US Qt) / 5.0 L (5.28 US Qt)
Coolant 5.3 L (1.4 Gal) / 5.8 L (1.53 Gal)
Fuel tank 40 L (10.56 Gal) / 44 L (11.62 Gal)

Some other noticeables:
Battery capacity 70 Ah vs 80 Ah. I'm guessing the starter motor requires more power for the 4 cylinder.
Drag coefficient 0.28 vs 0.31, along with slightly larger surface area for F56S. Might be from the chin and fake air intake on the hood?
Transmission oil really says "lifetime" fluid. I would drain and fill on 60K at the latest.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The_new_MINI_EN.pdf (344.4 KB, 353 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 11:11 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BRP27
I have a 2015 Mini Cooper Hardtop S. I live 150 miles from the nearest dealer and will be doing the oil changes.
Can the Service Interval Light (SIL) be reset by other than Mini and what is the procedure.
Yes I just reset mine the other day because the Scottsdale Mini dealership forgot to reset mine a few weeks ago: Press both buttons on the tach (trip reset button on right and guage/moodlighting intensity on left in my car) for several seconds. Menu on screen straight ahead (not center screen) shows oil can, front brakes, rear brakes. Push center stalk to highlight the one you want to reset, then press/hold center stalk button until something happens. Remember I don't have the same car as you, but it might work the same.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
Drag coefficient 0.28 vs 0.31, along with slightly larger surface area for F56S.
Might be from the chin and fake air intake on the hood?
My F56S doesn't have anything on the hood?

Originally Posted by hp79
Transmission oil really says "lifetime" fluid. I would drain and fill on 60K at the latest.
Let us know if you know how.
I couldn't find the drain nor the fill location on mine.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 PM
hp79
4th Gear

Let us know if you know how.
I couldn't find the drain nor the fill location on mine.
You don't have that fake air intake? I'm talking about the hole that is actually blocked. The lower drag coefficient might also be from the shape of the rear butt.

I'm pretty sure somebody will figure out the ATF drain and fill later on. They put it in so there's got to be a way in.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Uh, every pic I've seen of an MCS there's a hood scoop (fake evidently). Just scroll up a few posts to #32, you'll see a white car with one in their sig between the stripes above the Mini emblem.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 F56 Oil Change Procedures