F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Gollum III - well mebbe a teeny bit of stinkin' powah?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cmt52663
Gollum III is such a different car than his predecessors. Same lineage, different personality - different rhythms.

This is the first turbocharged car I've ever owned, and that matters.

The good news is that the tiny whistle spikes below 2,000 rpm, and the power from 2,500 to 5,000 is very good indeed. Driving therefore can become a grand touring waltz as opposed to the slightly nervous humming of the H Street car. In 4th gear that rev range covers a lot of ground.

But I am still trying to figure out how to change up quickly without the car stumbling a little, apparently coming off the boost momentarily. I am not inclined to be mechanically cruel, so the "two tenths" shift with accompanying 2nd gear wheelspin is not part of my repertoire.

A two second shift - lazily double clutching while listening to the revs fall from 4,800 to 2,500 - seems to work best. Rolling off the throttle as I leave 1st, and rolling back in as 2nd ultimately appears produces a lovely smooth change with an instant rush of power in the next gear.

Not exactly a racing change, but easy on the shiny parts and aesthetically pleasing.

Steering input too seems to want to be just a little smoother, as without the stiff damping of the previous car's Koni yellows I find it slightly easier to unbalance the chassis in transitions.

On the street, the car is vastly better than the R56 - faster, smoother, and amazingly long legged on the highway.

On the course I need to see ahead and be smooth - G Street and H Street are different.

Cheers,

Charlie
no lift shift!!

i was autoxing an evo for a long time before this, lfb was hugely important to keep the boost up while braking as well. may be less of an issue for today's turbocharged cars, with much less lag overall

Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, you really have to take your time shifting to get a smooth transition.

How much did those knuckles run you, if I might ask? They give you a set amount of negative camber in the front? That could come in very handy.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
-1 degrees of camber out front, for rather a large sum. the parts were > $350/side and the labor was not trivial either. about $1,200 all up.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Ouch. Well they might still be worth it depending on how much adjustment you can get out of a camber plate. Thanks

Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Charlie, another suggestion on shifting. I don't lift my foot off the gas very much and only let the revs drop a little. I also don't go to the floor with the clutch; I start to shift about 2/3s to 3/4s the way down. Shifting is done with a flick of the wrist. This seems to work well in my R56 S.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
I stopped by Mini of PEabody for a new owners meet, and parked next to a car that looked very familiar indeed. Would anyone care to purchase a great little R56?

The Koni Yellows and the bar are still on it, and it still handles like a dream and goes like a little train!

But - no regrets, Gollum III was a good decision and G Street is my new hunting ground.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-10-2014, 05:30 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I heard that the old green one was raced around a bit. Maybe people are scared away....

Either that or they don't know MINI math:

Holies + Yellows = Fun

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new partner and not regretting the purchase.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-15-2014, 04:23 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Racing again...

Sunday was the 9th event of the New England Solo calendar this year, and last minute registrations bolstered the attendance to 153 drivers in the last few days prior to the deadline.

We welcomed back our adventurous and talented members from their trek to Lincoln Nebraska including several new National Champions, and celebrated their efforts. This year saw the first trophy in A Modified by a female driver, with our Stacy Strout beating many of the gentlemen in this gunfighter class, using Bill Goodale's venerable scratch built winged monster.

The G Street class was very well attended, with nine drivers composing the field which featured the Warren Barck / Nick Finn battle, Barbara Seeger running her brand new Focus, and of course my own upstart incursion with the F56 Gollum.

The previous event at Devens had left me a bit unhappy with my performance, but I discounted the experience as many factors (such as grief, sleep, and frazzled nerves) hampered my attention. This time I was happier, well rested, and welcomed the challenge with no excuses.

Opening runs however showed that I had my work cut out for me, as Warren took his 2.5 Impreza RS to a fast time right away, setting a 57.8 against my 58.8, and setting the tone for the event.

I then started pushing harder on the pedals, and twisting harder at the wheel, and thus went slower in the remaining two morning runs - with a 59.2, and then a dirty 59 flat. Warren did not improve, so going into afternoon runs I still had to find a second to climb out of 2nd place for the class.

Mind you I was arguing with the car, not dancing. WIth Gollum II I had learned how to dance, but the lessons and habits do not translate directly to this new model.

For one thing, there is less sound, fewer revs, and more power. For another, the on/off throttle transitions that I used in the R56 to plant the front end and slide the rear do not behave the same way in the F56.

With 1k less revs due to gearing, I needed to us a dab of brakes in addition to feathering the throttle in many places where the R56 would just duck its nose and go. The greater power compounded this need, as despite the quiet engine note, this car accelerates much more briskly then its predecessor.

So in the afternoon, with determination to stop over-driving the latter part of the course, I went back to work with a 58.6 versus Warren's dirty 57.9. It was better, but not good enough, so I had an inspiration.

For my 2nd afternoon run I asked Grant Reeve to join my in the passenger seat and give me some advice on my driving. Grant is a quiet New Zealander with immense talent who has startled many National level drivers in the last few years as he and his frequent co-driver Stephanie have made their mark with Grant's Z06, smooth lines, and fast times.

Grant took a ride, after observing to me as we headed to the line that this course absolutely demanded that I wrap the car around many elements to get to the back side, in order to avoid becoming late in the technical sections.

That statement alone helped, and with Grant along for the ride I went out and ran a 58.4. Then I sat and listened attentively as Grant gave me some of the clearest and most effective coaching I've ever heard.

With his advice in mind, my final run was .5 seconds faster, and within a tenth of Warren's fast first run (which he never repeated all day). Most importantly, during those last two runs I stopped arguing with Gollum, and started to feel the rhythm that the car accepted - the result was a huge grin for me, and a breakthrough in my learning process.

I did however, nail a cone on that last run (that was not part of Grant's advice) so Warren beat me again by .6 on the day.

But it was fun, and the learning I gained during the day gives me confidence that Gollum III and I will be able to hold our own during the seasons to come.

I am blessed to run with such stalwart competition, and also to be surrounded by some of the best drivers in the country - including in this case some damned fine coaching.

Between Mark Daddio and Grant Reeve, one simply cannot avoid getting faster - thanks gentlemen!

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-15-2014, 03:32 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds fantastic Charlie. Thanks for bringing the rest of us along for the ride!

Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Sounds like you are still learning the car and maybe the track too. But your times improved and the other guys' didn't. Screw the cone hit!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Isn't great when a plan comes together

Glad to hear things are going well with you and your car.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
new wheels

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
5 bolt pattern for wheels now? So none of the wheels out there will be interchangeable with the new MINI. Sorry, heavier, larger, and now other changes. Not sure this new MINI is staying in the spirit that MINIs were to be.

Not your fault, I know. I am sure you will over-enjoy your new purchase and looking forward to hearing how the new found torque benefits your endeavors
I read that the F56 wheels are lighter and stronger

Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Don't switch horses in mid-stream is good advice, at least for those who like to stay dry. There was another version of that quip around in the seventies that was quite a bit less polite - something to do with President Nixon as I recall.

But I did, and thus I have the privilege of accruing points in both H Street (currently 3rd for the season) and G Street (presently fourth). Not sure I can combine those for better effect, but so be it.

I do like it when a plan comes together!

The next event is the Stirling Moss Trophy, and I shall be in India. Following that we've the Team Challenge to close out the season, and that should be good fun.

Back to waiting, and driving politely...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I read that the F56 wheels are lighter and stronger
Sorry, I was referring to the car not the wheels. My mistake.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
F56

Is the EDLC standard on the F56 justa?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:28 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
Is the EDLC standard on the F56 justa?
Yes it is. No longer a specific item on the configurator, what was called "DTC" in the Gen 2 Coopers is baked in, and cannot be switched off.

That is good, as my startup drill from long habit includes press & hold on the DSC switch for > 3 seconds. That turns off all the nannies (including the automatic rev matching) but leaves that electronic diff active.

Gollum III has give me zero wheelspin issues. Launches well, and exits the tight corners well.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
good business practices, and good people - Tire Rack

Dear Reader,

Earlier in this thread you might have noted that I purchased a package from TIre Rack for Gollum, including Toyo R1R tires, Sparco Asiento Garo wheels, and TPMS sensors - all mounted, balanced, and ready to bolt on.

The wheels and tires are great - the TPMS sensors however were not recognized by the new F56 systems.

So Meghan at Tire Rack graciously agreed to accept a return and send another set of sensors.

We went through the drill (at Mini of Peabody) of swapping out the old sensors, and installing the 2nd set. The original set was RMA'd to Tire Rack, and they credited my account accordingly.

The 2nd set however does not work either.

So we've tried every form of reset known to Mini, and compared part numbers between the MoP parts department and TR (these are apparently sourced from VDO by the way) and at present we are at an impasse.

The point however, is that Tire Rack has not balked, or hesitated, or in any way made this my problem. They are behaving in an exemplary manner, and ultimately we will sort this out.

But in the mean time, they are good folks with whom to do business.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-27-2014, 06:45 PM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on the Schroth harness... Super easy install and really keeps me planted as long as I don't want to reach anything very far away!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:29 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Returning from two weeks in the UK and India, I am freshly reminded of how much fun this F56 really is. As I slow my shifts, stop arguing with the slow RPM changes that characterize the new power plant, and enjoy the significant flat torque from 2-5k the car is truly a delight.

Now I just have to stop driving on the wrong side of the road!

Cheers all,

Charlie

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by cmt52663
Returning from two weeks in the UK and India, I am freshly reminded of how much fun this F56 really is. As I slow my shifts, stop arguing with the slow RPM changes that characterize the new power plant, and enjoy the significant flat torque from 2-5k the car is truly a delight.

Now I just have to stop driving on the wrong side of the road!

Cheers all,

Charlie
Just pretend that those "other things" in the road are cones and you will do just fine...

Welcome back and glad the car is as good as you remembered.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Last event cometh - hee hee...

The Team Challenge comes this Sunday, and there ends the season. Forecast is fair and 60 degrees, so we hopefully shall be blessed on the weather front.

I do so look forward to playing with cones...

Cheers all,

Charlie

Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
The Last Hurrah - 2014 G Street Season

The final event in the SCCA New England Region calendar is the "Team Challenge" - a non-points, costumed free for all where anyone who is not having fun may be remanded for counseling.

The weather cooperated bringing us a cool (50-55) and slightly windy day that threatened rain but never delivered. We had a surprisingly good turnout, and a very entertaining course (half of which was designed by PZ, and the other half by PJ).

And I had a last-minute co-driver for Gollum!

Enter Brian Kuehl, who was runner-up at the Lincoln Finals in Street Modififed Front Wheel Driver (SMF) behind Andy Hollis, and is the 2014 Pro Solo outright winner in the same class. Normally Brian drives an obscenely fast electric blue Honda CRX with front tires that are wider than Texas and about 400 HP.

Brian is a delightful, funny, low key man who brought his considerable talents to the event as part of "Team Ninja Turtles", and thus was sporting a Michelangelo hoodie complete with a green six-pack and mask.

This did not prevent him from giving me a driving lesson in my own car, and sparking a great day of back and forth competition that ultimately left him in the 11th overall PAX position.

The bidding opened with two initial morning runs - he finding the car very much to his liking (Quote: "this is the best Mini I have ever driven") and I being a bit intimidated by the company.

So of course when I noticed that he was well over a second quicker than I there was no alternative but to ask him to permit me into the passenger seat for the 2nd run, which was bloody brilliant.

Folks, never hesitate to put a faster driver in your own left-hand seat, as there is no better education available.

And on the 3rd morning run, I picked up 1.8 seconds - and thus we went into the afternoon with Brian in the lead by .034 secs.

I was grinning so much on that improvement I was tempted to rest on my laurels, and pretty sure I could do no better, but when the afternoon runs came around off we went again, with me wondering just how damned fast Brian could really go in the 3rd Gen Justa.

Two runs later we had both gone faster, leaving the rest of G Street well behind, dipping into the 59 second range, and with Brian still leading albeit only by .029.

And then of course Brian turned up the wick even more!

When the dust had cleared, Brian had pedaled Gollum into the 58 second range, and I had reached deep into my modest reserves and reached a 59.080, which was a heroic performance on my part and still .198 off the extraordinary pace of my distinguished compadre.

The combination of a PAX 14th performance, and the lessons learned, and Brian's glowing praise of Gollum leave me with a warm feeling that will sustain me over the cold hard winter, and ensure that I look forward to the 2015 season.

Note: Brian attached his GoPro to Gollum (both inside and out) so hopefully later this week I shall be able to add some URLs to this account for your viewing pleasure.

I am of course greatly indebted to Brian, and to the whole darned NER group for what has turned out to be an epic year in the sport. Thank you all very much,

Charlie

Event Results are HERE.

Here is the entirety of the Ninja Turtles - Brian at the right...

Last edited by cmt52663; 10-27-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Cheers.
Glad to hear the praise of Gollum III

Old 10-27-2014, 04:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
That is too cool Charlie. I would love to do that track thing myself. I bet the Justa is a blast. The course is at an airport no less!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:23 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
from Brian Kuehl - with thanks

I hope that Brian does not mind my adding this email I just received to the little Gollum Blog. I doubt it...

Charlie,

Just wanted to say thank you! It was truly a pleasure driving with you. That was a fantastic battle, and seriously the most fun I had all season at a local event.

Here are videos of our best runs, as well as a side-by-side. I can upload your fastest morning run with the roof cam if you'd like, mine was not captured, but my third run was.

My best:

Your best:

Comparison:

That 3-pot Cooper is a fantastic little car! The thing really rewards silky-smooth driving, something I am not always the best at, but I welcomed the challenge . I think with some good prep that car might be able to stick it to the FoST overdog. I may have to talk to you about getting another taste of some GS action when next season approaches

Regards,
Brian Kuehl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Gollum III - well mebbe a teeny bit of stinkin' powah?