F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 MINI has downshift rev match manual transmission!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During my test drives where I drove 2 manuals, whenever I downshifted the revs were matched. One time in the middle of a shift from 3rd to 2nd, I put it in gear, kept the clutch down and heard the engine rev up which was pretty cool. I think it's unmistakable when it happens. I had traction control enabled (never messed with it, never saw the point).

If yours isn't doing that then I think there is a problem.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
Yea that is what im concerned about, something is not right!!
On top of that the unit that i test drove had the headup display, sales told me it was standard for all Mini.

I didnt notice mine did not have that until the day after i took delivery

Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
DeepBlueMCS
1st Gear
You should be able to tell that it is rev matching. I will say that as for sound, it is not as prominent in standard or green mode. You really hear the rev matches when in sport mode. If you have been driving a manual for a while you should be able to tell the difference. When downshifting into a lower gear at speed you would feel it in the clutch and you would definitely have some engine breaking. I found out about the rev matching the hard way. I went to stop quickly and downshifted to allow the engine to assist in the breaking process. Boy was I surprised when the engine rev matched and didn't assist with my breaking at all. I had to apply my breaks much harder and almost ran into the car in front of me.

You might try holding down the traction control button for 10 seconds as someone else mentioned. This will disable the rev matching. Then go out and perform a downshift. You should be able to tell the difference.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
I've also yet to notice it rev-match first gear.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fenderpicks
On top of that the unit that i test drove had the headup display, sales told me it was standard for all Mini.
Not that I'm aware of. I had to pay for mine and no car on the lot had one so unless something drastic changed, they are not standard.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kinetic89
I've also yet to notice it rev-match first gear.
It will not rev match into first as you should not be downshifting into first at any significant speed.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea that is what im concerned about, something is not right!!

I didnt notice mine did not have that until the day after i took delivery
Yea that is definitely not true on the HUD. If your MA told you it was standard and you were expecting it, I'd say you're owed something. It's a $500 stand alone option, or part of the Wired Upgrade package.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
Sales guy just said, most customers are familiar with what comes with what, as they are all individual packages. Because most people custom built their Mini on the website. -_-

Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Mini Darkness
1st Gear
Originally Posted by David Cottrell
Can anybody with a US spec manual f56 comment on this. I test drove the S and it had it so I assume they all have it.
I drove mine home two weeks ago (F56 manual S) that has rev match listed as a standard feature item on the window sticker. I was skeptical until I drove the car.....it is fantastic. I wish my weekend ride had rev match.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
So the rev matching is only when u are down shifting???

Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Mini Darkness
1st Gear
So the rev matching is only when u are down shifting???
I have only noticed the rev match during down shifting so far.......I have been up shifting at less than 4500 rpm per the break in procedure. Only 900 more miles until I can have some real acceleration excitement.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
How many miles did the manual call for breaking in?
I thought 500 miles?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM
DeepBlueMCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Darkness
I have only noticed the rev match during down shifting so far.......I have been up shifting at less than 4500 rpm per the break in procedure. Only 900 more miles until I can have some real acceleration excitement.
There will not be a rev match on an up shift since the rpms will naturally drop between gears and there is no reason for the ecu to apply rpms. On the downshift, depending on the speed and gear that you downshift too, the ecu will apply rpm (rev match) to match the rpm for that gear and speed for a smooth shift.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM
DeepBlueMCS
1st Gear
How many miles did the manual call for breaking in?
I thought 500 miles?
I believe the manual says 1200 miles for break in period and not over 4000 rpm's.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM
DeepBlueMCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by David Cottrell
It will not rev match into first as you should not be downshifting into first at any significant speed.
I actually found an instance were a rev match to first will happen. When slowing to a stop, if you downshift to second but don't release the clutch and then shift down to first the car will rev match. For obvious reasons don't try this at higher speeds.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:36 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I love my rev matching, but there are times where it is not desirable. Like everyday casual driving. I wish they provided a simple disable switch for it, so that you could use it or not use it on the fly.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
The 370Z rev-matches on up- and downshifts and it makes it all but impossible to not get every shift perfect in terms of clutch engagement. Nothing a well-skilled driver couldn't do on his or her own, but great for the OCD crowd

Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
The 370Z rev-matches on up- and downshifts and it makes it all but impossible to not get every shift perfect in terms of clutch engagement. Nothing a well-skilled driver couldn't do on his or her own, but great for the OCD crowd
Has to greatly increase the service life of the transmission's synchronizers.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I love my rev matching, but there are times where it is not desirable. Like everyday casual driving. I wish they provided a simple disable switch for it, so that you could use it or not use it on the fly.
I'm curious, under which circumstances would you want to disable it? To me that's like saying you'd like a switch to disable power brakes. They make driving better, why disable them? I am definitely missing something.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSz

I'm curious, under which circumstances would you want to disable it? To me that's like saying you'd like a switch to disable power brakes. They make driving better, why disable them? I am definitely missing something.
I've been fairly used to using the downshifting as a way to slow doesn't the car as opposed to using up the pads. For some of those people, the Rev match can frustrate them. I'm just now getting used to just braking myself.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:44 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
I've been fairly used to using the downshifting as a way to slow doesn't the car as opposed to using up the pads. For some of those people, the Rev match can frustrate them. I'm just now getting used to just braking myself.

Brake pads are cheaper than clutches and transmission fixes. People who do proper downshifting while braking use heel-and-toe to rev-match, so your MINI is helping you out. Probably saves them some warranty expenses, too.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by torpeau

Brake pads are cheaper than clutches and transmission fixes. People who do proper downshifting while braking use heel-and-toe to rev-match, so your MINI is helping you out. Probably saves them some warranty expenses, too.
I'm aware of what you're saying. I'm responding as to why people may be against it now. It's a new feature that people will get used to. I love it personally.
Just like those that hate the auto start stop. I love it. Some people just need to get used to it.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I've got no issue with the rev-matching. In fact, I think it's brilliant. However, after being f-ed over at least 7 times due to the start-stop causing me to stall at the worse possible times, each time, it's now off until they issue a software fix for it. I loved it when it worked, but it's not worth the embarrassment (best-case) and danger (worst-case) it's put me in. It happens when it's trying to shut down, just as you want to go (e.g. at a red light or stop sign).

Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 PM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
Gotcha. Thanks. I wasn't judging, just curious.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
MarcoPolo says: "I've been fairly used to using the downshifting as a way to slow doesn't the car as opposed to using up the pads."

Brake pads are much cheaper than clutches and trannies.
Use your brakes.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 MINI has downshift rev match manual transmission!!