F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Newbie here...how to change UJ light on F55 and coding??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 AM
mini_marcmarc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here...how to change UJ light on F55 and coding??

Hello everyone,
I am new and I would like to thank in advance for helping.
I have a 2016 Mini Cooper S 4 Doors. I don't know anything at all but I love the look of the UJ Led Tail light and I want to go ahead to do it myself. I think I have a normal (?) tail light that is not led. I heard that I need to code and do some conversion if I need to change my tail light. So here comes the questions...

First, what version of UJ tail light do I need to get (US or UK)? And what are the differences? (where do I get that light?) I found that Mini Seattle has them but not sure if that fit...
Second, how to I connect/install the lights if the original lights are not led. Do I need conversion kit or something?
Third, what is coding. How do I do that? What do I need to do so?

I looked up online for quite a few days and I found very confusing answers for my questions. So I really appreciate your help.
And I live in New York.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM
pillpusher84
2nd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_marcmarc
Hello everyone,
I am new and I would like to thank in advance for helping.
I have a 2016 Mini Cooper S 4 Doors. I don't know anything at all but I love the look of the UJ Led Tail light and I want to go ahead to do it myself. I think I have a normal (?) tail light that is not led. I heard that I need to code and do some conversion if I need to change my tail light. So here comes the questions...

First, what version of UJ tail light do I need to get (US or UK)? And what are the differences? (where do I get that light?) I found that Mini Seattle has them but not sure if that fit...
Second, how to I connect/install the lights if the original lights are not led. Do I need conversion kit or something?
Third, what is coding. How do I do that? What do I need to do so?

I looked up online for quite a few days and I found very confusing answers for my questions. So I really appreciate your help.
And I live in New York.
I am in central NJ and can do the coding for you ... just buy the US-spec one if you don't care about Rear Fog, buy the EU spec if you want rear fog and are replacing the headlight switch to gain this functionality. Coding will be required regardless.

The following users liked this post:
mini_marcmarc (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 PM
mini_marcmarc
Neutral
Originally Posted by pillpusher84
I am in central NJ and can do the coding for you ... just buy the US-spec one if you don't care about Rear Fog, buy the EU spec if you want rear fog and are replacing the headlight switch to gain this functionality. Coding will be required regardless.
Thank you! How much do you charge for that? I am saving up to get the lights as my birthday present in October. What’s rear fog? Thank you again!

Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM
pillpusher84
2nd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_marcmarc
Thank you! How much do you charge for that? I am saving up to get the lights as my birthday present in October. What’s rear fog? Thank you again!
you can make the drive out and I'll take care of it for you at no cost, or pickup a BMW ENET cable and i can do it over the internet. It will take 5 minutes ... I wont charge you anything. I have extensive BMW coding experience and own several BMWs as well as a 2015 Mini Cooper S Hardtop 4-door, which I have performed the UJ Tail retrofit as one of my first 5 mods

Rear Fogs ... please disregard ... had my BMW hat on .... the rear fogs are not part of the tail light assembly on the F55, and is a separate light on the rear bumper lower fascia, so doesn't matter.

I bought mine from ECS Tuning, under the following part numbers:

If I recall correctly, it will be important to take a look at the connector on the back of your existing tail lights to ensure that they will match the new UJ LED tails. You can do a VIN decoding on your vehicle to determine if your existing lights are LED if you are unsure.

www.mdecoder.com

If you have the LED Headlights, you should also have the LED tails.

The following 2 users liked this post by pillpusher84:
ECSTuning (07-15-2019), MMM (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM
mini_marcmarc
Neutral
Omg! Thank you! I can drive over but I need to make a day for that and save up some money first! Thank you again! I have the led head light so I guess I have the led tail too? I am so grateful! Thank you!

please pm me to exchange contact info.

thank you again!!!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts
I love the UJ tail lights too. I found these on eBay and the seller told me no programming is required. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173898836582?ul_noapp=true

Plug and Play install. Is he right? Why would his lights not need any programming?

Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelo
I love the UJ tail lights too. I found these on eBay and the seller told me no programming is required. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173898836582?ul_noapp=true

Plug and Play install. Is he right? Why would his lights not need any programming?
Looks like it comes with a control box/adapter. It's coming from Asia, it's going to take a month to get here.