North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 Forge Short Shifter Installed (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/338682-forge-short-shifter-installed.html)

Mini_Vinnie 05-07-2019 08:50 AM

Forge Short Shifter Installed

Im not going to lie, I was a little skeptical of Forge's claim of a 40% reduction is shifting but man, I was shocked. After I installed this, my shift knob doesn't even go outside the perimeter of the shift well.

It is a perfect compliment with my @CravenSpeed adjustable shifter. The Forge shifter goes in the engine bay, not the traditional shifter location.

https://myredmini.com/forge-short-shifter/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...fb3e6e94f2.jpg

02fanatic 05-07-2019 09:44 AM

That's great! I'd love to get rid of the stock long throw & sloppy shifter movement (it's just too loosey-goosey for my liking), but I can't bring myself to tearing into the stock shifter just yet!

Mini_Vinnie 05-07-2019 10:55 AM

I wish I would have known about this when I bought my Mini in 16 because I would have loved to have tried it first before I did the traditional short shifter

El-Grunto 05-07-2019 10:52 PM

Every time you post something new gets added to my parts list. And this looks like a real easy install as long as you have the pulling tool.

Mini_Vinnie 05-08-2019 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by El-Grunto (Post 4468329)
Every time you post something new gets added to my parts list. And this looks like a real easy install as long as you have the pulling tool.

HA!! Im glad to enable your addiction ;)

Yeah, with the pulling tool it was literally a 15 minute install.

vetsvette 05-08-2019 06:36 AM

I've often wondered if it would be worthwhile to add this mod if I already have the CS adjustable short shifter. Looks like I'll need to revisit this.

Mini_Vinnie 05-08-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4468359)
I've often wondered if it would be worthwhile to add this mod if I already have the CS adjustable short shifter. Looks like I'll need to revisit this.

I wish I was smart enough to have taken a before and after video/shot of the shifter position. I said it a few times, but I am amazed at how much of a difference it makes. Something so simple completely changed and already awesome setup I had and made it that much better.

ECSTuning 05-09-2019 09:01 AM

Nice! Congrats.

pjsjr13 05-09-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 02fanatic (Post 4468177)
That's great! I'd love to get rid of the stock long throw & sloppy shifter movement (it's just too loosey-goosey for my liking), but I can't bring myself to tearing into the stock shifter just yet!

Come on this is easy. Much easier than removing the console and stock shifter

Mini_Vinnie 05-09-2019 05:17 PM

Exactly! Very easy, and adjustable too

Juice84 05-13-2019 07:26 AM

So both, or just do the forge?

Mini_Vinnie 05-13-2019 07:52 AM

I asked myself that too.

The reason I did the CravenSpeed one was because I wasn't a big fan of how tall the stock setup was. The reduced throw was nice, but the main reson was to lower the shifter.

If that doesn't bother you then you could easily do the Forge shifter, set it to the smallest throw, and be more than happy

Juice84 05-14-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4469290)
I asked myself that too.

The reason I did the CravenSpeed one was because I wasn't a big fan of how tall the stock setup was. The reduced throw was nice, but the main reson was to lower the shifter.

If that doesn't bother you then you could easily do the Forge shifter, set it to the smallest throw, and be more than happy

The height is good for me, but I would like a weightier knob.

invaliduser 05-14-2019 01:58 PM

Twss

Manny Fonseca 05-19-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4468159)
Im not going to lie, I was a little skeptical of Forge's claim of a 40% reduction is shifting but man, I was shocked. After I installed this, my shift knob doesn't even go outside the perimeter of the shift well.

It is a perfect compliment with my @CravenSpeed adjustable shifter. The Forge shifter goes in the engine bay, not the traditional shifter location.

https://myredmini.com/forge-short-shifter/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...fb3e6e94f2.jpg

I just ordered this forge quick shifter for my 2016 Cooper S Are you still running it pretty much in the middle position? Sorry if I missed it but did you say how long installation took? Thanks. I'm really looking forward to a shorter, more precise feel on the Mini. EDIT: Ok I see you said it only took 15 mins. Awesome 👍

Mini_Vinnie 05-19-2019 05:27 PM

Yep, still in the middle setting. If anything its slightly close to the shorter side.

Make sure you have a pulling tool! It will go very quickly if you do. If not, it will take a week like mine originally did since I didn't have the tool and had to wait.

Manny Fonseca 05-19-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4470633)
Yep, still in the middle setting. If anything its slightly close to the shorter side.

Make sure you have a pulling tool! It will go very quickly if you do. If not, it will take a week like mine originally did since I didn't have the tool and had to wait.

Got it. Thanks! 👍

J_L 06-07-2019 05:04 PM

I did this mod last week. I already have the craven speed shifter and the new pro clip socket thing from them, and love those.

Install was very easy, would have been maybe 30 min if I had no issues, which wasn't the case. I didn't need a puller. My car is a 2014, but I live in temperate So Cal, so maybe that helped. Pin came out easily with their tool. Then just pulling up, twisting, rocking, and the old one came off. The issue I had was that I broke the shift linkage end link thing. The white circle in Vinnie's pic, although it's black in my car. It's made of two pieces of plastic that nest together, and when together hold onto the linkage. In the center of the plastic is a little bushing that holds onto the ball end of the transmission shift apparatus arm. So while trying to pop the linkage off the arm, one of the pieces broke. I got it all back together just fine with some stainless exhaust-wrap ties. In fact, it feels better than new- tighter grip on the ball. I noticed the other linkage still has quite a bit of slop. I'm toying with ideas on how to eliminate all that slop. Something like this would be perfect, but unfortunately it's a different size than our cars use. Anyone run a machine shop? =)

https://roninfactory.com/products/fo...-cable-bushing

Or I wonder if the entire cables can be replaced with something better... Maybe can be had from CAE or Colorworks separately from their beautiful, expensive shifters. Hm.

Anyway back on topic. Started out at about the 40% position from stock. Shifts were super short, but required too much leverage. Seemed ok in gears 3-6. But especially around R, 1, 2, it too too much effort getting into and out of gear. Really almost had to whack the knob. Tried going longer on the short shifter end, but I didn't care for the taller height, and it just didn't feel quite right. Leverage was more, but it seemed sloppy. Maybe my imagination though. So went back and took out the airbox again, went to around 30% position. Still too tough. Went to 10%... ahhh this is nice. Although hardly any shorter throw. Also realized I should have maybe filed down the locking nut on the arm, it's a bit tight fit- had to unscrew the thing nearly all the way out before I could slide the adjuster. Just that much more effort to make adjustments.

So the mod was probably a waste of effort for me unfortunately. I'm not going to take it out, but I wouldn't do it again. The Craven shifter was quite good enough. I do think that if there is a way to make the shift linkages more solid, a shorter throw might work fine.

MikeMJCW 06-12-2019 05:33 AM

Looks like the Craven shortens the shaft (knob height) and the Forge addressed the throw. I never had luck with short shifters (VW's/ Acura RSX). The shifter would always grind or I could never get the timing right.
Vinnie could you take a pic of the original part? I'm wondering if your on shortest setting does the longest match the factory?

Mini_Vinnie 06-12-2019 07:05 AM

Here you go! - https://i.imgur.com/nj3LC19.jpg

MikeMJCW 06-12-2019 07:24 AM

Thanks, that looks to be 3 times the length of the forge (oriented differently). Your not having any issues at all? My previous shifter mods resulted in having to hesitate between gears (or grind) which defeats the purpose.

Mini_Vinnie 06-12-2019 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMJCW (Post 4475501)
Thanks, that looks to be 3 times the length of the forge (oriented differently). Your not having any issues at all? My previous shifter mods resulted in having to hesitate between gears (or grind) which defeats the purpose.

Yeah, I wish I was smart enough to put them side by side but I was so excited after the stock one came off I just installed it.

Initially, I set it at the shortest throw and it was binding up somewhere and making shifting hard. I think that white end link on the stock cable was the issue, it was hitting the shifter mount.

Once I moved it to the middle on the Forge shifter it was perfect. I havent had any issues since I installed it.

J_L 06-12-2019 11:29 AM

I didn't take a pic, but I eyeballed the Forge next to the OEM part- at longest throw, Forge is the same length as OEM. I believe that the Craven shifter is also the same as OEM at longest throw, but can't recall ever checking that myself.

The Craven works by lengthening the arm below the shifter pivot point. So the throw is indeed shorter. It also happens to lower the shift knob at the same time- whether you think that's a good thing or not is a matter of taste I guess. Personally I like the knob lower.

Forge is an easier install.

Craven is easier to adjust. Done from driver's seat, with no tools. Takes 10 seconds.

Forge is cheaper.

Craven you will want to switch out to their Pro Clip at the same time, which maybe gives a tighter / smoother shift than the stock clip. Not sure. I can say that my shifts are super smooth now with the Craven + Pro Clip. What I don't know is if it would be equal with the Forge kit only, with the in-car components left stock.

Hope that helps!

J_L 06-12-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMJCW (Post 4475501)

You might be looking at it wrong- the long arm at the 6 o'clock position in the pic isn't a lever. I guess it's just a counterweight. The Forge item eliminates it.

cooper48 06-12-2019 01:04 PM

My preference would be for the interior to look factory. Can the Forge unit be used with a stock stick (2004)?