North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 Mini Cooper S 2016 2-Door in snow (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/338064-mini-cooper-s-2016-2-door-in-snow.html)

BobHMini 04-17-2019 01:55 PM

Mini Cooper S 2016 2-Door in snow

Good Afternoon,
I am thinking about purchasing a 2016 Mini Cooper S 2-Door. I live in central New Hampshire where snow is an issue. How do the minis handle in the snow?

Thank you,
Bob

colinmini 04-17-2019 02:55 PM

Bridgestone Blizzak tires!

I run tall skinny Bridgestone Blizzaks and our MINI does pretty darn good in out Northeast Ohio snow.

Minidogger 04-17-2019 05:31 PM

One thing that we notice is how easily the windows fog up in cold weather. We parked our MINI during the hard core winter, so wasn't a big issue. Just something to consider if you drive a lot during winter.

Minnie.the.Moocher 04-17-2019 08:01 PM

We don't get a lot of snow, however I much prefer the Countryman in the snow. I've driven the 4 door with snow tires and it was fine. My F56 stays indoors during snow.

Digitys 04-21-2019 07:14 PM

Snow

I’m in concord NH and have had many minis, I actually prefer my r56 in the winter over my 4x4 pickup during snow. Snow tires are cheap and make it absolutely incredible in the snow.

cyberlunacy 04-28-2019 05:58 PM

Iowa here, 2013 S
mines a stick though and this may make a huge difference along with turning off traction control otherwise once you start slipping you can put your foot to the floor and the car just creeps, like dangerously slow.
i have Bridgestone weather ready all the way around, brand new, and I love the mini in winter, bets front wheel drive I have had for winter next to my old 2000 Accord.

Shotgun_banjo 04-29-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by BobHMini (Post 4464118)
Good Afternoon,
I am thinking about purchasing a 2016 Mini Cooper S 2-Door. I live in central New Hampshire where snow is an issue. How do the minis handle in the snow?

Thank you,
Bob

I drove my Justa from Vancouver to Seattle the morning after a 8" snow dump. The highway was not plowed, I see rigs on the side, SUVs spinning tires on the highway and can't get up on ramps. Me? Just cruising on the highway without a care in the world. When I got into the US border the border officer looked at me and told me "how the hell did you get here?". I have blizzacks on my Justa and it drove awesome! well better than my ML350 with winter tires actually.

carwhisperer 05-06-2019 11:02 AM

I just made it through a legendary winter at 4000 feet elevation in the Sierra Nevadas with a 2007 manny tranny justamini. I bought some spike spiders and used them multiple times. It was very dicey at times. Our terrain is hilly and starting on a steep hill with the spiders was really difficult at times because 1st gear isn't really low enough. Sometimes the engine barely had enough power to move the car even when massively slipping the clutch. I think I put 20K miles worth of wear on the poor little guy in 45 days. Some of our storms produced 18 inches of snow. I was very tempted to buy an Audi TT or a Cherokee multiple times but I made it. I was late for work 1/2 day twice. If I had a Cherokee I would have made it. But overall I'm happy I didn't get a different car.

Kyle Parent 05-07-2019 07:10 AM

I live in Upstate New York and have driven my Mini Cooper S Four Door with All Season's through two winters now. Zero Issues.

ECSTuning 05-09-2019 09:04 AM

I would get snow tires if you are going to take it in heavy snow, had them on both my MINIs before, no probelms. Get dedicated snow wheel, saves the stock ones from pot holes.

16" wheels options: https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-...ls/OEM_Alloys/

WildMini 05-09-2019 04:32 PM

I’ve owned and driven both an f55 and f56 in a Manitoba winter and they are great in the snow and even better on the icy stuff. I laugh at my coworkers who believe that they need a big SUV in order to get to work when we have a snowstorm. I’ve driven through at least 6” of snow without problems. Just make sure you get great snow tires. I’ve run both blizzards and Michelin’s X-Ice and both are great, with the blizzacks having the edge in deep snow and really cold weather.