North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 suspension issue (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/338025-suspension-issue.html)

jcraff3 04-16-2019 11:15 AM

suspension issue

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE REPLY

I know there is a few threads about noises after coilover installs and been trying to read through them but I have an issue with multiple diagnoses from people wasting my time.

*I have also recently replaced the front OEM top hats after being told a bearing was broken and still get noise... So lets run through this shall we?
1. coilovers installed
2. height adjusted and pre-load on spring set to .25" as recommended
3. everything is tight, rides fine, turns fine, reacts to bumps etc fine
4. slight single clank noise coming from right passenger as I do slow turns from stop only, ie. into reverse and wheel turned or turning sharp turn from stop
5.* i also noticed that my right side is 3mm lower than the left, maybe it is a height thing that will fix itself when i re-adjust?
I was first told the spring was binding and releasing which made sense, the noise sounds like a quick little pop of two rods hitting. So I lifted the car and re-did pre-load, felt spring tension, everything but still has noiseI can not replicate noise while car is in the air, pressure and weight needs to be on vehicle.*So then I was told possibly it is a bad control arm. But looking at it, it seems intact and good unless something is happening that I cannot seeIf it is by chance the spring binding, I know I can add more pre-load but I am considering that to be last resort as I do not want to continue tightening up my front end without using the damper control.

Does anybody have a solution or know what is going on?

J_L 04-17-2019 12:02 PM

My car makes a kind of pop sound from the front as well, after installing power flex bushings in the front LCAs. At very low speeds / hard wheel turn, like when parking. Can't tell if the sound is from the bushings, or from the springs now that there is less play in the bushings. Are you on the original bushings?

What coilovers?

I'd like to try adding some kind of cable wrap or spring dampeners to my springs, see if that quiets it. Although I don't think there is any room between the springs and seats. Or maybe axle grease? Hm.

jcraff3 04-17-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by J_L (Post 4464089)
My car makes a kind of pop sound from the front as well, after installing power flex bushings in the front LCAs. At very low speeds / hard wheel turn, like when parking. Can't tell if the sound is from the bushings, or from the springs now that there is less play in the bushings. Are you on the original bushings?

What coilovers?

I'd like to try adding some kind of cable wrap or spring dampeners to my springs, see if that quiets it. Although I don't think there is any room between the springs and seats. Or maybe axle grease? Hm.

i should be on original bushings yes, and according to some other feeds i was told it is a natural sound after coilover install and looking into redesign but nothing out for the car yet from the control arm, i guess..

i am on silvers coilovers, haven't done full measurement because i didn't care, just wanted a certain look but should be about 2-2.5" drop in front and 2"ish drop in rear

a spring dampener shouldn't be needed as that is for compression of the spring itself and from my own findings and reports and people etc it should not be a spring issue. and a typical modded mini shouldn't be running hard enough to need protection on the spring. i'd love to lift the car and have it under pressure to actually see what is going on, seems it may just be a collision of parts tapping one another. HOWEVER as mentioned above, my right front is making the noise and my right front is 3mm lower than the rest of the car.. more than likely that is the issue. car geometry at it's current state

J_L 04-17-2019 12:23 PM

Right, could be the ride height- that's pretty dang low. The German brands list the range of acceptable ride height. Not sure if that's a TUV thing, or based on engineering. But I'd guess either way, going outside of that has consequences. Axles suffer, for one... that could also be the source of your noise, and an expensive one to fix.

In my case, I think the noise could be from my height (not that low, like -1.25"), and from the angle on the suspension that the camber bushings created. The struts now are an extra degree or so off-angle from the top hats. So yeah, changing stuff changes stuff... Might very well be just a side effect of coilovers in general.

Or, maybe it's the Silvers. Not knocking them, maybe they're great. But I've never heard of them. Which is not saying a lot... just that brands like H&R, Bilstein, Koni have decades of experience with this stuff.

I would raise it all up an inch, and see what happens. Easy to do.

jcraff3 04-17-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by J_L (Post 4464094)
Right, could be the ride height- that's pretty dang low. The German brands list the range of acceptable ride height. Not sure if that's a TUV thing, or based on engineering. But I'd guess either way, going outside of that has consequences. Axles suffer, for one... that could also be the source of your noise, and an expensive one to fix.

In my case, I think the noise could be from my height (not that low, like -1.25"), and from the angle on the suspension that the camber bushings created. The struts now are an extra degree or so off-angle from the top hats. So yeah, changing stuff changes stuff... Might very well be just a side effect of coilovers in general.

Or, maybe it's the Silvers. Not knocking them, maybe they're great. But I've never heard of them. Which is not saying a lot... just that brands like H&R, Bilstein, Koni have decades of experience with this stuff.

I would raise it all up an inch, and see what happens. Easy to do.

i checked into it and so far i am good and i clear all speed bumps all that, recommendations are also to make sure they aren't held liable for anything but also there is a geometrical vibration that you get when passing the 1.25' which is natural and not harmful am thinking it is a side effect and once the height is evened out it will just about go away. or something breaks who knows lol i did investigate if it was silvers or not and they just like every other company make the exact same thing as the rest so i thankfully found out it is not them. silvers mostly deal with ford and mazda that's why. never raising an inch! haha i'll first start with evening it and see how it goes. i'll try to update this thread later this week