F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Carbotech 1521 install question (F56)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech 1521 install question (F56)

Hey guys,
For my 2014 Mini Hatch "S" F56.
I bought Carbotech pads (CTF56) for the front a month ago. Haven't had time to install so dropped it at a local garage.
Got a call from the garage about missing hardware:
1) the original pads have a metal spring-clip that snaps on to the tab that slides into the caliper. The clip is "C" or "L" shape and is used to adjust the width of the tab for a tighter fit into the caliper. The Carbotechs have wider tabs with no way to attach the spring-clip, so the Carbotechs have a "one size" tab, which the garage says they feel are more loose than they would like to see.

2) needs shims/backing plate (which garage guy says can't transfer from originals).

Does this sound like anyone else's experience?
Thanks!

Last edited by cdninsw; 01-21-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: adjusted item #1
Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Interesting, shims meaning the backing plate?

Looking at the pictures online and at the stock pads, it really doesn't look like those side attachments points are long enough.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Interesting, shims meaning the backing plate?

Looking at the pictures online and at the stock pads, it really doesn't look like those side attachments points are long enough.
Hey Mini_Vinnie, Yep, I believe he is talking about the backing plate (I opened the box but didn't pull them out before dropping off at garage).

I've found most sites have a disclaimer that item displayed may not be the exact model selected. Even the Carbotech site picture doesn't change when you change pad # for the same car model so I didn't try to compare the two. The garage tech says the pad fits, but it has the two issues I mentioned above. The pad model # is correct based on the Carbotech site & the OutMotoring site where I bought it.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Mini_Vinnie
That is weird. Maybe call CarboTech to see if they even offer that. Ive seen pads without backing plates and they installed fine

Old 01-21-2019, 11:56 AM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
That is weird. Maybe call CarboTech to see if they even offer that. Ive seen pads without backing plates and they installed fine
Good call. I'll be contacting Carbotech but thought I'd check with someone who already went through this install & what they learned.
(I also have to update my original post a bit on the one of the issues.)

I like your post on the Forge hard tube (intake to turbo). I've been wanting to do that.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by cdninsw
Good call. I'll be contacting Carbotech but thought I'd check with someone who already went through this install & what they learned.
(I also have to update my original post a bit on the one of the issues.)

I like your post on the Forge hard tube (intake to turbo). I've been wanting to do that.
Thanks man! Its amazing how hard Mini tries to restrict air flow!

Good luck with the brakes, keep us updated

Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM
cdninsw
1st Gear
Ok, Carbotech (Mike Puskar, Jr) was quick to reply & answer a couple follow-up questions.

The short answer:
The CarboTech 1521 for MINI do not require any additional parts/hardware. Pull out the old pads, install the 1521 pads, enjoy.
I'll be doing that myself probably some weekend in February. I also have new rotors to install but I believe I need to new brake sensor(s) as well.

The slightly longer answer:
The tabs on the Carbotech (which slide into the calipers) are wider than stock so do not require the spring-clip which is used with the narrower tabs of the stock pads.
An additional backing plate is not required for the Carbotech 1521's. The pad material is also thicker than stock so the entire pad is not thinner than a stock pad that has an attached backing plate.

Bed-in procedure for the 1521 pads is to put them on a new/clean rotor surface and drive them normally on the street for the first 300 miles. This is different than the bed-in for the AX & XP pads.

So there you go.
Thanks.

Last edited by cdninsw; 01-22-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: clearify
Old 01-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Wham, bam.

Great customer service!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Waiting to hear how well these work and if they would be worth the extra cash for an everyday driver.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
They are amazing! I upgraded to the Carbotech "Bobcats" for at least a year, and I have loved every minute of it, stopping capabilities are on point, but it is true that they are a different kind of grippy, because they are not touchy like stock pads. They are very linear. I would recommend them to anyone.

Regarding installation. (even though this is redundant)

1: My pads' tabs were actually slightly too thick and I had to file them down slightly, be prepared to do that. I then just added some anti-squeal to those points.

2. No backing plates needed,

This is pretty much to say that Carbotech is steering you in the right direction.