F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Need some input on this JCW tune/exhaust

Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 PM
dashredder
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some input on this JCW tune/exhaust

Hello! Looking for some input / experience on a JCW tune with exhaust.

Just had a JCW exhaust / tune installed on my 17 Cooper S today. I'm wondering about the tune that was installed. I've read that the JCW tune for the S adds about 15 horsepower with a strong boost curve down low, which is not the same tune as is loaded in a factory JCW (or a factory JCW with the JCW exhaust for that matter).

I'm wondering about the tune that was loaded in my car. It seems the power initially comes on softer than it did when stock and it also seems the throttle curve is much flatter (compared to the stock which was sharper right from the start). Example - in stock Cooper S form, you make an easy right hand corner in second gear or third on a manual trans. Roll on the throttle easy and the boost lights up quick and is clearly felt. Not much throttle is needed to accomplish this. After the exhaust and tune, it seems the boost does not build as abruptly, like you can put your foot much farther into the pedal and still not feel that quick and strong rush like I did when it was stock.

It feels stronger than it did when stock, yet smoother and not quite as "fun" with the new feel out of the motor.

Has anyone gone from a Cooper S to the JCW exhaust/tune and noticed these same things? Is this how it should be or was your experience different?

Can one load a factory JCW tune onto the Cooper S instead of the Cooper S JCW/exhaust tune that "should" come with the exhaust kit?

Any other way to identify the tune that's in the car aside from plugging the car into a dealer's computer?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by dashredder; 12-14-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:46 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Other than reading the ECU, I don’t think there’s a way to tell unless they put a sticker on it or something that identifies the program that was loaded.
Thats really interesting, it seems odd that it feels less torquey and flatter, but still feels more powerful overall, am I getting you right? I honestly don’t know. I’ve never had a JCW tune.
The experience after getting my tune, though not the JCW, was day and night different. If you have questions about whether they installed the correct one.... well I would go back and find out what up. That could be normal for that remap. Hard to say from here. I think I would feel let down and consider going a different route, especially with the cost because you can’t get it without buying the exhaust too. For that kind of money, I would expect the car to feel stronger all around. Especially when you can get a bigger gain for less $ going with something like RPM from Mariokart. And put the rest of the $ into upgrades.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 03:01 PM
dashredder
1st Gear
Yes, I agree it is odd. After driving around a bit more, It's got to be the throttle position map that has changed. The tip in used to cause a strong surge of boost right off 0, where now it seems to me much more linear. Push the pedal further down to enact the same sort of power that was right off idle before with that boost spike. This creates the "feel" I'm noticing. Kind of like the difference between "sport" and "mid" mode switch, just not as obvious. The motor is stronger now, just seems to be a different delivery. I'll be continuing to evaluate.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:34 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I know this is a stupid question but are you putting the car in sport mode? I did not notice much in the default green mode, but the pop and burble and power are much more in sport mode.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:18 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dashredder
Yes, I agree it is odd. After driving around a bit more, It's got to be the throttle position map that has changed. The tip in used to cause a strong surge of boost right off 0, where now it seems to me much more linear. Push the pedal further down to enact the same sort of power that was right off idle before with that boost spike. This creates the "feel" I'm noticing. Kind of like the difference between "sport" and "mid" mode switch, just not as obvious. The motor is stronger now, just seems to be a different delivery. I'll be continuing to evaluate.
OK, I get what you mean now, that makes sense. The boost curve being more linear does make sense that you don’t have the same initial punch the power delivery is probably smoother and more even, or even a more progressive curve than before. Still without the initial spike.
Like I posted before, I don’t have any experience with he JCW tune. But my tune has a smoother progressive boost. Not a punch you in the face instant 20psi or more, but a smooth delivery that makes more boost the more foot you put in it up to 22psi that holds much longer than the factory S tune. I reckon you can basically control how much boost it’s calling for with your foot in much the same way, but at a lower psi of course. I don’t think Mini cranks the boost up much on the JCW tune, but again, I’m not familiar enough with it to know. I like the way the power is delivered this way more than with a huge wheel spinning boost spike. But I’m old and grumpy, ha ha.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:08 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
I did a JCW tune on my S a couple of years ago-the best Mod that I have done. Extremely happy with it. As previously said, you have to be in sport mode for it to be effective. I coded mine to start (and stay) in sport mode. I previously had a NM module-no comparison. You should have gotten a badge (with number) placed on the engine cover and a packet with paperwork (certs, etc.) with the tune. If you doubt it was done (or unsuccessfully) go to another dealer and have the key read-it should show up (my dealer prints mine out for me with each visit). If not, an online coder can also read the ECU, somebody like "code my car" who did my LCI light upgrade and few other things (he drives a BMW and "saw" mine). I still smile when I accelerate (even modestly) and the tune presses you into the seats.
PS-proper fuel helps (exhaust noise, etc.) and I only use Shell V-Power (91 at this altitude).

Old 12-15-2018, 04:40 AM
dashredder
1st Gear
Agreed that sport mode ramps up that throttle input quite a bit. It has the number and badge for the tune on it, there’s def a tune in it. Just changed the pedal feel for me quite a bit. It seems better the more I drive it, I’d say it’s more “refined” in the delivery. Like a well sorted gentleman’s tune you can finesse the drive with. Better after I put some miles on it. . Sport mode is def fun and the exhaust crackle is sweet. More like what I was expecting. I like it. I like character. It’s better, “but” it is more refined. I threw a few different tunes in my old Focus ST and they ramped up the boost hit really strong off zero. They felt like they were after maximizing the rip as fast as possible. This JCW tune adds solid power and better drivability, but it does so in a refined way instead of hittin it with a hammer, so to speak. It’s the kind of tune you get to keep your warranty with. And I like it more the more I drive it.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 AM
dashredder
1st Gear
Oh and yes, agreed that good gas is a must.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
You should also see an increase in the maximum readings on the "driving excitement gauges".

Old 12-15-2018, 07:34 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I noticed a performance boost immediately after the install. I know others have said that the more they drove their car's the stronger they felt. I think it may be the computer adjusting over time.

Since I've had the tune, I had to bring my car in for a mandatory computer update from Mini (was done w/ my oil service). When I got the car back, I thought that it felt weaker than before and was wondering if the update didn't erase my JCW update. As I continued to drive the car for a few days, that perceived loss of power seemed to return and it started running as strong as before, Now that could have been all in my mind, but it does fit with other's experiences regarding the tune getting stronger over time.

Hope this helps.

Additionally, for my driving style, I will take an "S" w/ the JCW tune of a full JCW any time. In a back to back test drive 2018 JCW vs. my 2015 S w/ a Tune, I and my salesman passenger agreed, my car seemed faster, and more responsive than the new JCW. All the extra torque coming lower in the RPM range makes a huge diff.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:51 PM
dashredder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
You should also see an increase in the maximum readings on the "driving excitement gauges".
That's there. The scale went up to 240 and the gauge reads about 210 or so under power.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:04 PM
dashredder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I noticed a performance boost immediately after the install. I know others have said that the more they drove their car's the stronger they felt. I think it may be the computer adjusting over time.

Since I've had the tune, I had to bring my car in for a mandatory computer update from Mini (was done w/ my oil service). When I got the car back, I thought that it felt weaker than before and was wondering if the update didn't erase my JCW update. As I continued to drive the car for a few days, that perceived loss of power seemed to return and it started running as strong as before, Now that could have been all in my mind, but it does fit with other's experiences regarding the tune getting stronger over time.

Hope this helps.

Additionally, for my driving style, I will take an "S" w/ the JCW tune of a full JCW any time. In a back to back test drive 2018 JCW vs. my 2015 S w/ a Tune, I and my salesman passenger agreed, my car seemed faster, and more responsive than the new JCW. All the extra torque coming lower in the RPM range makes a huge diff.
This may be exactly what I've experienced. Mine seems to become stronger the more I drive it. They difference in feel is obvious when comparing the first night to today. I know the software was updated during the install. My car seems to be getting stronger and is clearly more powerful than it was initially. I had an 06 330i that I put a Berger tuning box into. You needed to drive the car a few miles before the tune began to work properly and they let you know that up front. My ST was literally flash n play. This car must need a bit to adjust to the tune after the software update/flash. I also prefer the heavy bottom/midrange power on the car, and I've also read the same thing from a few others who thought their JCT tuned S felt faster when driving around than a factory JCW because of the power curve. I've never driven a factory JCW, but the thing that sold me on this car was the grin factor. The thing just rips and it puts a smile on your face even when zipping around the neighborhood at the speed limit.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:05 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dashredder
Oh and yes, agreed that good gas is a must.
Absolutely. I even run a about a 20% mix with E85 to up the octane a bit to around 95 or 96. We have 93 octane premium up here.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
You also may want to consider running with the exhaust valve "open." It is more responsive IMO, less back pressure. There are many threads on how to leave it open always without the transmitter function. At first thought I would get a ticket, but after pulling up next to a Harley at a stop light, my concerns evaporated. Had a cop follow me from a stoplight (6 lane road, 45mph)-just took it easy with the revs when shifting, no worries.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:34 PM
dashredder
1st Gear
Ok, update after a tank of gas:

This is what I was looking for. The car is stronger across the tach, the throttle response has improved over what it was when stock, and the seat of the pants feel has become even better. THIS is now how I wanted it in the first place. I'm now a very happy motorist with this JCW tune/exhaust - and I don't think the whole thing was all in my head .

This is far better than it initially was. Perhaps it was the update prior to the tune flash, but something caused the car to have to "re-learn" itself or something similar to what happened when I put a tune in my old BMW 330i. After a tank, it's running primo and that 2nd or 3rd gear roll on out of a corner is strong and in just the right place on the gas pedal. I can still finesse the manual trans but now I have even more grin inducing grunt to keep me looking for ways to lengthen my drive.

The car performs the way I was hoping it would when I bought the tune/exhaust combo and the exhaust sounds AWESOME. Watching a few of those videos on Youtube with that exhaust led me to the dealer in the first place, and those videos were right on. This is an absolutely ridiculously fun car to drive. LOVE IT!

Old 12-18-2018, 02:39 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Good deal, I’m glad to hear that you are happy with it now. Sounds like it’s the way I would’ve expected now.
Also, I think with any ECU remap or dealer update, it will reset the adaptations. So yes, the car does need time to relearn.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:44 PM
dashredder
1st Gear
Ah - and as far as the exhaust goes... I very much enjoy the sound. ZERO droning (which I absolutely hate) and a good, sporty, deep and appropriate sound with the valve closed. I'd go so far as to say that it's quieter in the cabin that it was with the stock exhaust. Strange, but the sound perception is different that the stock exhaust; more raspy and you can hear the boost spool more, yet it seems to have less cabin tone with more motor detail audible. Open the valve and it has considerably more rasp and motor detail. It is not a fart can by any means, which is a very good thing. It sounds awesome and I do not think it will ever be a problem if you are reasonable with it in public. The sound is fitting to a small sports car, fitting to a Mini Cooper. It rips and it makes you want to listen to it, but you are not like "Whoa that's soooo loud." More like "hell yes that sounds killer!" Like an angry hornets nest . Sport mode adds even more to the whole package, including lots of crackles. Leave it in Mid and it is still good, just less angry. It seems quieter than just about any aftermarket exhaust I can think of, which is also a good thing.

In all: GREAT MOD!!!

Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Glad to hear the car meets your expectations. Have fun with it.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:09 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Amen.