F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Ddc

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:26 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Ddc

I am thinking about ordering a new MINI S. A little history. I bought an '08S with sports suspension and 17" wheels and changed out to non runflats at 10,000 miles. My second MINI S had a standard suspension and 16' wheels and was a much better driver on less than perfect roads. But, at 20,000 miles I switched to Michelin tires(non runflat) and the car became a wonderful riding car with no loss in handling. My third Mini S was a '15 S with '17" wheels and handled and rode great with the runflats. At 30,000 miles I switched to a Bridgestone all season tire and the car rode even better with, again no loss in handling.
Forward, I am going to buy a new '19 S or JCW and I would like to hear about the DDC suspension opinions. I don't auto cross or drive my car on a track. I have to mention that my current car is a '17 Cayman S. While I appreciate the wonderful performance of the Cayman, it is a horrible car to use on long trips. My old MINI's were a pleasure for my wife and I to drive ( we enjoyed MTTS '14).

Old 10-20-2018, 08:45 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm on my 3rd F56. First one a 2014 S std suspension, Second a 2016 S with DDC. I thought the DDC made the car twitchy and I went the normal route of swapping out the run flats. Now I have a 2019 JCW without the DDC and I'm really much happier even with only 1500 miles on the clock I felt an immediate difference in the car. I would seriously drive a mini both with and without. Good luck let us know what you think.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:20 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Jcw

Originally Posted by pjsjr13
I'm on my 3rd F56. First one a 2014 S std suspension, Second a 2016 S with DDC. I thought the DDC made the car twitchy and I went the normal route of swapping out the run flats. Now I have a 2019 JCW without the DDC and I'm really much happier even with only 1500 miles on the clock I felt an immediate difference in the car. I would seriously drive a mini both with and without. Good luck let us know what you think.
Are you comfortable on long trips?

Old 10-21-2018, 02:11 AM
j997tt
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
dpcompt - I have a 19 JCW HT and a ‘18 718 Cayman GTS with Sport PASM. I have the non-DDC sport suspension on the JCW and have logged almost 2000 miles on it as DD. Mixed highway and back road commute. To me, the JCW sport chassis rides similar to PASM sport setting (assuming you have PASM). A bit firm and bouncy but not terribly uncomfortable on the highway except where you have expansion joints and poor surfacing. Also, less overall road noise intrusion in the JCW compared to my GTS. In your situation, you might want to drive a new Mini with DDC to see it the behavior is better than you recall. Or get a Cooper S with the base, non-DDC suspension. Briefly had one of these (a MY 19 also) before upgrading to the JCW and I found it to be a fun car to drive and very comfortable on the road. Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:08 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Ddc?

Originally Posted by j997tt
dpcompt - I have a 19 JCW HT and a ‘18 718 Cayman GTS with Sport PASM. I have the non-DDC sport suspension on the JCW and have logged almost 2000 miles on it as DD. Mixed highway and back road commute. To me, the JCW sport chassis rides similar to PASM sport setting (assuming you have PASM). A bit firm and bouncy but not terribly uncomfortable on the highway except where you have expansion joints and poor surfacing. Also, less overall road noise intrusion in the JCW compared to my GTS. In your situation, you might want to drive a new Mini with DDC to see it the behavior is better than you recall. Or get a Cooper S with the base, non-DDC suspension. Briefly had one of these (a MY 19 also) before upgrading to the JCW and I found it to be a fun car to drive and very comfortable on the road. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. I really enjoy driving my Cayman, but when riding with a passenger on trips, the tire noise is really tiresome. I think before I order my next MINI, I am going to have to test the different options.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM
NinerfanWI
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I am thinking about ordering a new MINI S. A little history. I bought an '08S with sports suspension and 17" wheels and changed out to non runflats at 10,000 miles. My second MINI S had a standard suspension and 16' wheels and was a much better driver on less than perfect roads. But, at 20,000 miles I switched to Michelin tires(non runflat) and the car became a wonderful riding car with no loss in handling. My third Mini S was a '15 S with '17" wheels and handled and rode great with the runflats. At 30,000 miles I switched to a Bridgestone all season tire and the car rode even better with, again no loss in handling.
Forward, I am going to buy a new '19 S or JCW and I would like to hear about the DDC suspension opinions. I don't auto cross or drive my car on a track. I have to mention that my current car is a '17 Cayman S. While I appreciate the wonderful performance of the Cayman, it is a horrible car to use on long trips. My old MINI's were a pleasure for my wife and I to drive ( we enjoyed MTTS '14).
I have a 2019 JCW hardtop without the DDC. I had my dealer put non run flats on it before I took delivery. I had switched to on runflats on my 2012 when the runflats wore out, and decided I wouldn,t drive a MINI with runflats again. Ride without runflats is great, and the handling is, too. DDC was the last decision I made when I ordered my JCW, and I’m glad I didn’t order it.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Are you comfortable on long trips?
Long trips were never a problem in my first MCS or second with DDC, however between those 2 I did prefer the non DDC. The longest trip I have taken in the JCW to date has been about 200 miles without any discomfort. Good luck , let us know what you decide to do..

Old 10-21-2018, 07:34 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
I am going to Niello Mini tomorrow to test the different suspensions and the seats. It will be interesting. My '15S with the stock suspension was fine on long trips. I am thinking that I will end up with a "loaded" S with the JCW add on. But tomorrow I will find out. This will be my fourth Mini.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 AM
F56mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my S with base suspension and 16" wheels. Styling wise, 17" looks better but I run around mostly in a very pot holed urban environment so 16" works better for my needs. I am one of the few that likes the security of the run flats over all out performance. I have been curious over the years if there is any meaningful difference in ride quality or noise among run flat options.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by NinerfanWI

I have a 2019 JCW hardtop without the DDC. I had my dealer put non run flats on it before I took delivery. I had switched to on runflats on my 2012 when the runflats wore out, and decided I wouldn,t drive a MINI with runflats again. Ride without runflats is great, and the handling is, too. DDC was the last decision I made when I ordered my JCW, and I’m glad I didn’t order it.
I’m surprised your dealer would do that for you! We recently bought a ‘15 R60 Countryman S All4 and I didn’t like the stock 17” wheels & runflats. I bought the optional 18” Silver Fan Spoke Wheels and they wouldn’t install them on the car with non-runflats as it’s still under warranty. Soooo, I had Tire Rack drop ship the non-runflat 225/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires at the dealer for mounting on the new wheels and I picked up the new shoes when we picked up the car! They were fine with me doing it that way! lol! And what a wonderful improvement in ride quality and handling! I will never go with smaller wheels due to worry about potholes....the compromise is too great for my liking! 👍

Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Do what you can to get the runflats off your Mini as fast as you can.

Carry a patch kit or similar product and in a real pinch, you have mini roadside assistance

Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
I test drove a JCW with the sports suspension, and an "S" with the stock suspension. I preferred the stock suspension. For me the only upside of the JCW is the extra cooling and the brakes ( I will be purchasing the JCW upgrade kit). My first Mini, an '08 S with sports suspension and the JCW that I drove today felt similar. I am buying this car to use as a daily driver and for travel. The handling with the stock suspension is pretty good. Maybe I would have to trail brake a little more , but for the improvement in ride, it's worth it. I would be spending an extra $4000+ for a JCW. Now, if I could get a JCW with the stock suspension, I might consider.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM
j997tt
2nd Gear
Based upon your needs and first post, I’d say you made the right choice. The only real weak link in the S from my brief experience is the braking system but you’re upgrading to the JCW front big brakes so that’s a non- issue. Enjoy your new car.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:32 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Mini has changed the way you order options. I get that they're more efficient in offering packages, instead of being able to customize your MINI. It's not going stop me from buying one and the new system has allowed MINI to keep costs down. But, when I was looking at buying my Cayman, I was considering a JCW. At the time, Spring of '16, I could buy a JCW with the standard suspension. I don't think I can now. I think I might be ok with the DDC suspension. Just a rant.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 AM
j997tt
2nd Gear
As far as I know you cannot order a JCW HT with the base suspension. It’s either SS or DDC. I like the SS as I noted above plus I can fit the JCW Pro coilover kit (or another type) without complications. That’s my plan next year.

Another option in between a JCW and base S might be a base S with the standard chassis and add the JCW tuning kit if you want more power and the valved exhaust. That’s what I did to my 19 S and it was a hoot. But you are going to need better brakes...

Again, good luck.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Are the spring rates for the JCW DDC suspension the same as the rates for the Base DDC suspension?

Old 10-23-2018, 05:03 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Are the spring rates for the JCW DDC suspension the same as the rates for the Base DDC suspension?
I think you should ask your MINI Motoring Advisor the questions you have! You might get a good one that has a lot of knowledge...you’ll know rather quickly how knowledgeable he/she is.

I want to add, the sport suspension is what I have on my '15 JCW...no DDC. It is NOT harsh in my opinion....I think too many are quick to write it off for want of a smoother ride. If you get a JCW why detract from the sportiness you get with the stock sport suspension? The DDC will soften the ride and be around 90% of the firmness of the sport suspension if DDC is set to firm, or if set to soft it is quite compliant based on what others have said. I personally would not go for a standard suspension on the JCW even if it were still offered. But, to each their own. FWIW, I have a horrible back and my JCW is awesome, if nothing else the seats are some of the best I've ever had....I have the suede/dinamica JCW sport seats. You used to be able to get non-sport seats in the JCW too...I'm not sure you can still do that with the current configurator.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by 02fanatic; 10-23-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added comment about sport suspension & seats
Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Well, I finally made the decision. An "S" hardtop, iconic, stock suspension, with the JCW tuning kit. While I would love to have the big brakes, I don't need them. I have had three Minis and put over 40k miles and never had to have any brake work done. My current car, a Porsche Cayman has maybe the best handling of any car other than exotics. But the road noise makes the car a terrible trip car. My Minis were always enjoyed by myself and my wife. And by the way, my other car is a '17 Audi S6, so I am not wanting for horsepower.
Over the years, the MINI has improved tremendously. There are some who think it has lost some of it's raw nature. So be it.. But the "F" series outperforms the R56 and R53 in every way.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:36 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
The other thing that I forgot to say is thanks for all of your replies. I read everyone of them and took them into consideration when making my decision.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 AM
j997tt
2nd Gear
Precisely the spec of my former iconic level 19 S. JCW tune is great. Chassis good. Brakes subjective. Being a 718 owner I would be interested in your take on the stock S brakes. Congratulations and enjoy. What color did you choose?

Old 10-24-2018, 02:48 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Brakes

Originally Posted by j997tt
Precisely the spec of my former iconic level 19 S. JCW tune is great. Chassis good. Brakes subjective. Being a 718 owner I would be interested in your take on the stock S brakes. Congratulations and enjoy. What color did you choose?
I had a '15 S before I bought the 718 S and I thought they were fine for me. I don't track or autocross. I am sure if I competed I would end up upgrading the front brakes. But, for a daily driver, they're fine for me. I am easy on brakes. My Cayman brakes were at 80% at 19,000 miles. At 66yo, I am pretty conservative. I like having the reserve power but will hardly ever use it. I will miss driving the Cayman, but the tire noise makes the car a pain on long trips when I have a passenger. I also won't miss the ridiculously, expensive maintenance. For my driving, I just couldn't justify the added cost of the JCW. The dealer gave me a break on the JCW tune and a decent discount on the car ( S with Iconic, black lounge leather ) that is still thousands less than a lessor equipped JCW. Forgot to mention, Lapisluxury Blue, white top and mirrors, and white hood stripes.

Last edited by dpcompt; 10-27-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: change
Old 10-24-2018, 04:55 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
BRAKES: No mention of transmission.
My opinion and my experiences (worth what you pay for it "$0"). Still have 2 out of 3 MINIS. With the manual transmissions, brakes last (for us) over 50,000. We live in the mountains and about 50% in town driving. If I lived and drove in a metro (which we have), auto. If I were to go with an automatic, I would go with the JCW or "S" with JCW brake upgrade. The concept and practice between the two is totally different. Took the MINI motoring school and they use auto JCW's. The differences between auto and my manuals was quite evident. The auto maybe "quicker" on the track and "maybe" the autocross, but on the ice, snow, and mountain roads I still prefer the manual. Both "systems" are excellent, it is just personal experience/preference.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:50 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
auto vs manual

Originally Posted by SFMCS
BRAKES: No mention of transmission.
My opinion and my experiences (worth what you pay for it "$0"). Still have 2 out of 3 MINIS. With the manual transmissions, brakes last (for us) over 50,000. We live in the mountains and about 50% in town driving. If I lived and drove in a metro (which we have), auto. If I were to go with an automatic, I would go with the JCW or "S" with JCW brake upgrade. The concept and practice between the two is totally different. Took the MINI motoring school and they use auto JCW's. The differences between auto and my manuals was quite evident. The auto maybe "quicker" on the track and "maybe" the autocross, but on the ice, snow, and mountain roads I still prefer the manual. Both "systems" are excellent, it is just personal experience/preference.
I have decided after years of owning manual transmissions, that the new autos are far superior for my driving needs. As far a wearing out brakes , I was at 50% on my '15 S (auto) at 40,000 miles. I owned it for 30 months. I found with my Cayman's PDK that if you're relying on engine braking, you usually have to downshift at least 2 gears. It was the same with my MINI. Fifth and sixth gears were very high and at 55-60 mph, fourth gear would slow it down. Also, the MINI Aisin auto is very durable. I believe it is a Toyota transmission.
I think the manual vs. auto is more about personal preference than anything else.
Now, I have the 2-3 month wait. I'll just sit back and enjoy the Cayman.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:20 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
It is difficult to shift a manual, tires squealing into a corner with a guardrail looming, trying to check the cone marker at the apex...the MINI auto trans (in sport shift) was excellent, even without paddles. I prefer to have both hands on the steering wheel... On the other hand, the rev matching in the MINI manual is excellent. It is personal and environmental. Hope your wait is not too long.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:34 PM
j997tt
2nd Gear
I think you will be very happy with your S with JCW add ons. The brakes will be fine around town. My JCW is sport auto and, while not close to Porsche PDK, it’s fun enough and shifts come pretty briskly. I commute with mine so manual was out of the question. I wish Mini would bring their DCT to the US. Ridiculous in 2018 they don’t at least put a DCT into the JCW. I think they currently put an 8 speed torque converter unit in ROW JCWs. Go figure...

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Ddc