F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 New to the F56 section of NAM

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Omatic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the F56 section of NAM

Greetings all!

I'm in the process of trading in my R56 for a F56S and am super excited.! Just writing to inquire on any information on tips about the F56. I test drove it and loved it, especially coming from my R56, so, if anyone has made that jump like I am can you please give some tips! Already upsetting that the secret compartment on the passenger side is no longer in the F56 :-(

Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome There is more info added almost daily. We just did a complete build on an F56JCW this last week including a quaife diff, coilovers, sway bar, bushings, intercooler, pipes, exh, tuning, and so on that just transformed the car back into what I feel is a MINI.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-16-2018, 11:24 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Welcome to the “F” side.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Congrats on the impending purchase.

I added the dealer installed JCW tune and it transformed the car. A bit pricey but a noticeable increase in overall performance (even though the published numbers wouldn't indicate it).

In fact, I was thinking of trading my 2015 w/ the tune for a new JCW. After test driving the 2018 JCW w/ the salesman, I took him for a ride in mine, and he agreed that my MCS was a better street performer than the JCW. I'll concede that on a track the JCW would definitely win, but I don't track.

If the JCW tune exceeds your budget, look at a Dinan Elite (Stage 1) tune (approx $900). This is the route I will likely take w/ my next MCS. Dinan warranty piggy backs on the Mini so you'll have full coverage should anything go awry. Unlikely as I have a Dinan Stage 1 on my BMW M240i and it's flawless and turned the car into a beast.

Cheaper tunes are available, but none offer the coverage (and peace of mind) the factory JCW tune or the Dinan provide.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Omatic
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Congrats on the impending purchase.

I added the dealer installed JCW tune and it transformed the car. A bit pricey but a noticeable increase in overall performance (even though the published numbers wouldn't indicate it).

In fact, I was thinking of trading my 2015 w/ the tune for a new JCW. After test driving the 2018 JCW w/ the salesman, I took him for a ride in mine, and he agreed that my MCS was a better street performer than the JCW. I'll concede that on a track the JCW would definitely win, but I don't track.

If the JCW tune exceeds your budget, look at a Dinan Elite (Stage 1) tune (approx $900). This is the route I will likely take w/ my next MCS. Dinan warranty piggy backs on the Mini so you'll have full coverage should anything go awry. Unlikely as I have a Dinan Stage 1 on my BMW M240i and it's flawless and turned the car into a beast.

Cheaper tunes are available, but none offer the coverage (and peace of mind) the factory JCW tune or the Dinan provide.
How much is the JCW tune?

Old 06-17-2018, 05:48 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Dealers can charge upwards of $2400 + tax. Some (like my dealership will do a price match for the cheapest you can find the kit online (MINIMass has it cheaper). But you'll still have labor costs.

As I mentioned previously, I'm going w/ the Dinan Stage 1 next time. I'll likely get better performance than w/ the JCW tune kit and full warranty coverage for the 4 years 50K miles which piggy-backs on the Mini Factory warranty.

The JCW Tuner includes a new exhaust w/ a BT controller for the exhaust flap. Lots of burbles when its open. Kinda fun, but really adds nothing to the car performance. The benefit of the JCW tune is its all done at the dealership and it's considered OEM for any warranty repairs. I'm told that when you trade, you'll see a bit of that money come back to you...although they tell you anything when they sell you stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Omatic (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:13 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET

The JCW Tuner includes a new exhaust w/ a BT controller for the exhaust flap. Lots of burbles when its open. Kinda fun, but really adds nothing to the car performance.
KYDan proved on the dyno that flap open is worth 8HP over closed.

Omatic (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
I'm guessing open valve provide less back pressure and less back pressure can contribute to the turbos providing more boost. However, since boost level is ECU controlled through the waste gates there shouldn't be more power to be had with the valves open. Caveat being, unless running a very aggressive tune that maximizes the turbos. Further, turbos are able to spool up a little faster with less back pressure, however I am not able to sense any increase from the driver's seat.

8 HP is a pretty big gain. Was that car further modified w/ a downpipe and a more aggressive power module? If the car had a piggyback module on top of the JCW tune, then I'd think there could be a 8 HP gain w/ a freer lowing exhaust.

Something to consider:

Mini published a 21HP gain w/ the kit. If you lose 8 HP w/ the exhaust valve closed, then the kit only provides 13 HP more if run w/ the value closed (as they advise for street use by MINI). That being said, when I compared my car (before and after the JCW kit install), the performance increase was more than just noticeable whether the valve was open or closed, the JCW kit transformed the car. If I were to go from closed to open on the exhaust flap and supposedly pick up 8 HP more (to the 13 hp I get w/ the flap closed) I should really notice a big increase in performance adding 8 HP to 13 HP for the total of 21 HP as published (and I don't)...if that makes sense.

Like I stated earlier, when test driving mine vs. the 2018 JCW, I (and the salesman) agreed, the 2015 S w/ just the tune was a peppier and more responsive ride than the JCW (compared back to back on the same streets, driven the same way and doing the same maneuvers). With the exhaust flap open or closed, I feel no drop in performance.

Omatic (06-18-2018)