F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 K&N CAI Installed - Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Vegaschimp
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N CAI Installed - Check Engine Light

Hi Everyone...I recently had the K&N Typhoon 69-2026TTK installed on my 2014 Cooper S and now the check engine light has been cycling on and off. The code being shown is P00BC Mass or Volume Air Flow “A” Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too Low. I’ve driven approx.130 miles since installation. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if anyone may know what the problem is? Thanks so much for any advice.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Could have been damaged in relocation. Make sure connections are tight. Also could be the car doesn't like the change in airflow.

Another option is to return it. Stock set up is pretty good.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Check the MAF sensor seal, it might be pinched or torn.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:55 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
I failed to notice K&N.

Too much oil on the K&N filter can foul the MAF sensor causing that code.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:28 PM
mcaanda
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I'd agree w/ TV. When I put the SC on my Tundra, I got the same thing. Eight bucks at the local parts store for some sensor cleaner ( which btw said 5-10 additional HP when used ) cleared the code. I actually knocked the filter on the ground and quite a bit of the filter fluid came off. Kinda shocked how much actually was on there from K&N.

Not sure about the HP claim tho...

Old 06-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Turbofan
1st Gear
Ditto the K&N, I've had a couple of those during my Mustang days and each time, from the factory, they fouled my MAF and I had issues. I've wondered about the other brands that you guys use on your MINI's if they have the same problems.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Vegaschimp
Neutral
Thanks for all of the feedback! I’m definitely going to get the cleaner and give that a try. May just end up going back to stock as well but will still want to clean the sensor in the process. Haven’t been super impressed with the K&N so I’m not sure it’s even worth keeping on.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I get CELs on and off since the CAI... but then again, I put a piggyback on at the same time, so who knows.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:16 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes just watch the amount of oil. I had no issues with oil filters, everytime i see one that does its soaked beyond what it should be. Clean the MAF and light oil on the filter. Other then that its either damage to the maf on install or the plug on the maf is not making contact.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
Stu-mon (01-05-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 04:00 PM
Mini_Chip
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I also just installed the K&N cai on my Mini and have been experiencing the same code. I did a bit of reading on the causes and found that an intake leak could also be culprit, which would lead to not enough pull on the air to keep a good volume passing the MAF. During the install I found the K&N tube to be just a bit small for a good fit into the Mini factory intake hose so I wrapped the tube at both ends with a bit of electrical tape to increase the OD a bit and also to give the ridges inside the plastic hose something to grip. I will test this theory and update with my results, whichever way turns out. I do agree that the heavy oiling on the filter could also cause a poor airflow situation, especially in the very cold air temp that would turn that oil into more of a grease! Wish me luck.
btw, my first action was cleaning the MAF sensor which didn't solve the problem.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:20 AM
Stu-mon
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I got NM hi-flow filter on my F-56 when I bought it. I figured it was time to clean. sprayed it with K&N cleaner I had left-over from another app. rinsed in sink from inside out, let it dry over night, next a.m. sprayed lightly with K&N oil, installed A.F. fired it up & it ran REAL ROUGH for a minute, prolly chokin' on oil spray. but cleared up fine. I say be real careful about how much K&N oil you spray on filter.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:24 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
K&N is a complete waste of time and money. Who convinced you to do this nonsense? Go back to stock.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Wow, Cold Air Intake mods again. That takes me back to the "change the pulley" days of Minis, right?

Old 01-07-2022, 04:59 PM
Mini_Chip
Neutral
[QUOTE=Mini_Chip;4609508]I also just installed the K&N cai on my Mini and have been experiencing the same code. I did a bit of reading on the causes and found that an intake leak could also be culprit, which would lead to not enough pull on the air to keep a good volume passing the MAF. During the install I found the K&N tube to be just a bit small for a good fit into the Mini factory intake hose so I wrapped the tube at both ends with a bit of electrical tape to increase the OD a bit and also to give the ridges inside the plastic hose something to grip. I will test this theory and update with my results, whichever way turns out. I do agree that the heavy oiling on the filter could also cause a poor airflow situation, especially in the very cold air temp that would turn that oil into more of a grease! Wish me luck.
btw, my first action was cleaning the MAF sensor which didn't solve the problem.[/QUOTE/]

***Just an update***, I am putting the info out there in case any others are looking for answers as this is why I joined this site. Improving the seal on the tube seems to have cured the problem, definitely something that K&N should address. Once the weather is a bit warmer I plan to make a more permanent resolution than electrical tape like a custom rubber boot. After a day driving to work and back the code cleared on its own. Vacuum leak after the sensor decreased the volume of air passing by the MAF, which caused an error.

​​​​​And as for those who don't understand why I bought a K&N cai and put it on my car, I like to personalize my vehicles, no one talked me into it. A Mini is the perfect platform to have fun and make it unique. I have many upgrades in my mind which is half the fun. If I wanted to just drive something and leave it all stock I would have bought a Prius. Besides, it allows the turbo noise out so why the hell not.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mini_Chip:
cjv2 (01-10-2022), renchjeep (01-07-2022), Scypio (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:31 PM
Scypio
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
How are you liking the CAI so far? Any differences in performance/sound?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Mini_Chip
Neutral
Originally Posted by Scypio
How are you liking the CAI so far? Any differences in performance/sound?
Now that I have sorted out the cause of the error code for "low air" at the MAF, I am pleased with it. I like the sound from the turbo, I don't have any hard data to performance, but it seems to have a bit more pepper, more notable at a higher RPM, where the 1.5T needs it. I see you have a short shifter, I have been considering getting one, more for comfort than performance. How do you like that?

Old 01-15-2022, 05:19 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Chip
If I wanted to just drive something and leave it all stock I would have bought a Prius. Besides, it allows the turbo noise out so why the hell not.
Who's says you cant mod a Prius!!!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:27 AM
Scypio
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Chip
Now that I have sorted out the cause of the error code for "low air" at the MAF, I am pleased with it. I like the sound from the turbo, I don't have any hard data to performance, but it seems to have a bit more pepper, more notable at a higher RPM, where the 1.5T needs it. I see you have a short shifter, I have been considering getting one, more for comfort than performance. How do you like that?
I was cheap and got a piece which adds on to the OEM shifter (shortening the throw). I also replaced the lever bushing at the same time (steel instead of OEM plastic). The shifting experience definitely feels better and sharper. I used to think there was more play/gumminess (not sure if that's the best term) in the shifting. But I will eventually replace it with a full short shifter (maybe the Craven Speed adjustable one).

The following users liked this post:
Mini_Chip (01-16-2022)