F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 The new Configurator is up @ MiniUSA

Old 05-03-2018, 12:10 PM
julric01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Configurator is up @ MiniUSA

Just thought I'd mention that the new trim packages are up now on the Mini USA site for the 2019 models.

Overall I think it's much easier to understand what comes with each package and you don't seem to get mixed up adding something that cancels out something else you've already added.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:05 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
That’s true, but it does take away from the fun of adding individual options....you just aren’t allowed certain things in each package. Plus, if you don’t want a sunroof I didn’t see where it could be deleted. I suppose you need to ask the dealer about deletes....and I’m sure some deletes aren’t allowed.

Being able to opt for the black line trim is very cool though! Hopefully they’ve ironed out the bugs that were in the prior configurator!

Old 05-03-2018, 03:04 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
That’s true, but it does take away from the fun of adding individual options....you just aren’t allowed certain things in each package. Plus, if you don’t want a sunroof I didn’t see where it could be deleted. I suppose you need to ask the dealer about deletes....and I’m sure some deletes aren’t allowed.
Agree with this. I've always liked getting exactly what I wanted, not sure how likely will be know. Have about 12 months to decide if I can configure something I can be happy with

Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I could not build my existing car with the new configurations. That said, it does appear that overall the price has come down somewhat.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:15 PM
RocketJohn
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
my dealer said that you can delete the sunroof from the Premium package and get a $650 reduction in price.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Scott2950
Neutral
Well the configurator is not working out too well for me. I just want a pretty basic manual transmission JCW Silver White with Red top (have to have red top!), red interior accent would be nice but I have to add the $2000 package for that. After configuring a 2019 (without the red interior accent) its $2500 more then the 2018 I had configured. Just because I want a red top I need to jump up the the Signature trim and end up with stuff I don't really want (heated seats, moon roof, damper control, etc.). Interesting the transmission is optional but both the same price in the Signature trim but $1500 difference in the Classic trim. Planning on talking to a dealer this weekend, we'll see what they have to say about deleting certain options.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:46 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
my dealer said that you can delete the sunroof from the Premium package and get a $650 reduction in price.
But, can you delete the sunroof in the basic package?

Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scott2950
Well the configurator is not working out too well for me. I just want a pretty basic manual transmission JCW Silver White with Red top (have to have red top!), red interior accent would be nice but I have to add the $2000 package for that. After configuring a 2019 (without the red interior accent) its $2500 more then the 2018 I had configured. Just because I want a red top I need to jump up the the Signature trim and end up with stuff I don't really want (heated seats, moon roof, damper control, etc.). Interesting the transmission is optional but both the same price in the Signature trim but $1500 difference in the Classic trim. Planning on talking to a dealer this weekend, we'll see what they have to say about deleting certain options.
I’m trying to see the positives with the new configuration system, but I tend to agree with you. I did not order many bells & whistles on my JCW manual (one of the first built), and I put the extra money into accessories like the driving/rally lights.

Those of us who believe in raw performance who don’t want to drive a computer station around are just out of luck these days!

I’m so glad I bought my little guy in 2015 with just the radio but with HK, no variable dampers, no backup camera, no parking sensors, but with the dinamica/leather seats, 18” cup spoke wheels, and the center armrest....just the way I wanted it! And I am rather certain that I paid less than ordering a premium package JCW today with deletes or just being stuck with crap I don’t want!

Last edited by 02fanatic; 05-04-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:49 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried to build my car and gave up. Maybe they want more people to go to the dealer?

Old 05-05-2018, 07:29 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Been playing with it and it seems to be okay. As long as I can delete the sun/moon/roof from my choice, I live with it.

Debating whether the JCW is worth the extra $5500. I don't auto-x or track, so paying for all the track upgrades is a waste. I like the more powerful motor, but betting a Dinan Elite (@$900) on a MCS will be quicker in a straight line than the JCW. Also not enthused about 18" wheels.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:39 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'll be curious to hear as people start ordering which other options can be removed and whether they give a rebate. Also, which options override others. For example, if you build a mid or top tier JCW, you get both sport suspension and dynamic dampers, so which one wins out? Buyer's choice? Do you get money back if you don't want the adjustable suspension?

Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
From playing w/ it a bit, I see that on the MCS Signature, you can add only 2 packages (Premium, Upholstery or Tech) otherwise it indicates a conflict and you have to choose one to removed.

Configuring Signature vs. the Iconic, w/ the options I want (I want leather, HK and nav), The Iconic comes in cheaper w/ more options than the Signature w/ less options.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
The LCI packages didn't work out too well for us. Sure, MSRP is a teeny bit less ($60, literally) for our car than a comparably-equipped 2018, but the 2019 is missing several features that the 2018 car had: adaptive suspension, adaptive cruise control, compact spare, and HUD, to name a few. Surely all of those options are worth at least $60 haha. MINI does give a few new feature for 2019 (like the updated headlights and taillights, and the touchscreen iDrive), but the car would've had similar features in 2018. Basically, the price on our 2019 car is effectively more expensive than a comparable 2018. We're not thrilled with the changes.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:08 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
I agree, that the 2018 configuator had more individual options and I wish I still had access to it for a fair comparison.

I didn't run a comparison on all models, Just the MCS, and for us, Iconic comes it $200 less than the Signature model w/ as many of our desired options I could add.

I was surprised we get a whole bunch more stuff going Iconic e.g., (HUD, Storage package, Tech package w/ Navigation, back up distance sensors, Wireless charging, 8.8 inch touch screen) for less money.

I think in 2018 the HUD was $500 and the storage package was $250. Do not recall what navigation was but thought it was @ least $750 but likely more.

Our option list:
MCS
Paint (Emerald Grey w/ black top)
Roulette wheels
Tech Package
Signature upholstery
Premium package
Dynamic Dampeners
Garage opener
Bonnet stripes
Piano Black exterior

$35,600

Signature model was $35,800 minus the Tech package

Much may depend on the model you are configuring...as long as I can delete the hole in the roof, I'm liking what I see so far.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:46 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Only one question remains for me. Interior color.

So neither my wife nor I are hard on interiors, I am looking at the Chesterfield brown or the Satellite Grey. I've had oyster interiors, and light greys in the past and found them easy to care for. So I'm not concerned about the lighter seats showing dirt.

Satellite grey has a matching dash piece and arm rest that match the seats.

Chesterfield Brown (love the stitching), has a Malt Brown dash piece w/ matching arm rests.

On my computer the brown arm rests and dash piece do not appear to match the Chesterfield brown seats (seats look to be a bit more orange than the malt brown color.

Anyone order the Chesterfield and Malt Brown combo and care to tell me if the match close enough to order...or stick w/ a known match of the satellite Grey?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:01 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Only one question remains for me. Interior color.

So neither my wife nor I are hard on interiors, I am looking at the Chesterfield brown or the Satellite Grey. I've had oyster interiors, and light greys in the past and found them easy to care for. So I'm not concerned about the lighter seats showing dirt.

Satellite grey has a matching dash piece and arm rest that match the seats.

Chesterfield Brown (love the stitching), has a Malt Brown dash piece w/ matching arm rests.

On my computer the brown arm rests and dash piece do not appear to match the Chesterfield brown seats (seats look to be a bit more orange than the malt brown color.

Anyone order the Chesterfield and Malt Brown combo and care to tell me if the match close enough to order...or stick w/ a known match of the satellite Grey?
MINI's site doesn't do a good job of rendering the malt brown color line. IMO it matches very, very closely to the malt brown leather. Both have been available in the F57 since its launch, so you might be able to find pics of that car with the malt brown options.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
MINI's site doesn't do a good job of rendering the malt brown color line. IMO it matches very, very closely to the malt brown leather. Both have been available in the F57 since its launch, so you might be able to find pics of that car with the malt brown options.
Yeah, not trying to match the malt brown dash to the malt brown leather, was trying to match to the Chesterfield brown seats w/ the malt brown dash/arm rest.

Another member set a link to a youtube video of a Vert, w/ Chesterfield Brown seat and Malt brown dash and arm rests. LQQks pretty close to me.
@1:52 mark in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCML...utu.be&t=1m52s

The following users liked this post:
RocketJohn (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
On a Motoringfile article about the new Configurator it said Mini decided to go with 3 "levels" of options instead of the unlimited combinations we're used to. They did that because people tended to order their cars with 3 upgrading levels of options for the most part, and sometimes "weird" cars were hard to sell off the lot or after trade-ins. So the MT is only available in Level 1, etc. Sounds like there are still plenty of configurations though.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:28 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Yeah, not trying to match the malt brown dash to the malt brown leather, was trying to match to the Chesterfield brown seats w/ the malt brown dash/arm rest.

Another member set a link to a youtube video of a Vert, w/ Chesterfield Brown seat and Malt brown dash and arm rests. LQQks pretty close to me.
@1:52 mark in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCML...utu.be&t=1m52s
FYI, the leather type is called Chesterfield, but the color is malt brown :-)

Old 05-07-2018, 05:31 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
FYI, the leather type is called Chesterfield, but the color is malt brown :-)
Did not know that. Figured they call everything by the same name.

When I configured the car, the seats and dash (Chesterfield/Malt) did not match on my computer screen, while, when choosing the Satellite Grey seats and dash, they did match.

Hence my inquiry.............

Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Scott2950
Neutral
Talked to the dealer today and asked about deleting the moonroof from my JCW Signiture build, no chance. So I can't get a red top Mini without getting the moonroof! Guess I'll have to get used to the idea of the moonroof. Took a base Mini for a test drive (first time driving a Mini) as that was all they had with a manual transmission, seemed OK but would like to drive a JCW. I'm in no hurry for a new car, they said they were getting a JCW in a few weeks, maybe I can get a test drive when it comes in.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:18 AM
NinerfanWI
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott2950
Talked to the dealer today and asked about deleting the moonroof from my JCW Signiture build, no chance. So I can't get a red top Mini without getting the moonroof! Guess I'll have to get used to the idea of the moonroof. Took a base Mini for a test drive (first time driving a Mini) as that was all they had with a manual transmission, seemed OK but would like to drive a JCW. I'm in no hurry for a new car, they said they were getting a JCW in a few weeks, maybe I can get a test drive when it comes in.
I ordered a JCW Signature package in February. My dealer had no problem deleting the moonroof for me. There seemed to be a decent amount of flexibility within the packages.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Therein lies the problem (i.e.the above two posts)! One dealer says you can’t delete the moonroof, one says you can! When will MINI ever get things right?

Instead of making the old configurator better and fixing the faults they scrap it and totally screw it up again by making the build process even more confusing and limited!

If it’s alright to delete things in the existing 3 structured build options why doesn’t the configurator actually EXPLAIN that!!!!???

My bet is that a car guy or gal with half a brain can put together a better configurator that the vast majority of people can actually “work with’! It’s not rocket science, but that said I have noticed other manufacturers’ configurator build sites are also “challenged”!

Bottom line, MINI can do better and they should!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a printout of the MINI Product Guide (F56 ordering guide). Effective February 1, 2018.

The option code for deleting the sunroof is: "ZMR- Remove Panoramic moonroof"

Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
I have a printout of the MINI Product Guide (F56 ordering guide). Effective February 1, 2018.

The option code for deleting the sunroof is: "ZMR- Remove Panoramic moonroof"
What's the actual release date of the guide though, I'm wondering if there are couple of them that have different revisions? Down in the lower right hand corner of each page, there should be a Released: XX/XX/2018 date. The one I have is 02/22/2018 and it has the ZMR option but you do not get a credit for it. Some people have stated their guides have a $650 credit for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 The new Configurator is up @ MiniUSA