North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 Gear Shift in Sport Mode vs. Sport Mode (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/326495-gear-shift-in-sport-mode-vs-sport-mode.html)

rphox2003 04-23-2018 11:28 AM

Gear Shift in Sport Mode vs. Sport Mode

Hi,

I know there are two sport modes with the automatic transmission.
  1. Activated by pushing the gear selector to the left out of Drive.
  2. Activated by pushing the Driving Modes Switch to the left.

I know #1 affects just the gears, while #2 affects the gears, steering, and suspension.

My question: Is there any difference when selecting both #1 and #2 together? Or is it basically the same as selecting just #2?

TIA

trouble1943 04-23-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rphox2003 (Post 4384881)
Hi,

I know #1 affects just the gears, while #2 affects the gears, steering, and suspension.

My question: Is there any difference when selecting both #1 and #2? Or is it basically the same as selecting just #2?

TIA

1. Find some twisties with a straight.
2. Select "Sport" from Driving Modes.
3. Run the twisties and floor through the straight.

Engage Sport driving mode and move shift lever to left and repeat. Tell us what your butt dyno says.

I believe engaging sport mode only doesn't affect shift points, only steering and suspension.

USA-RET 04-23-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by rphox2003 (Post 4384881)
Hi,

My question: Is there any difference when selecting both #1 and #2? Or is it basically the same as selecting just #2?

TIA

My experience is, using both gives the sportiest feel. Putting the car into sport and leaving the shifter alone, doesn't provide the same sporty shifts as moving the shifter the M/S mode.

I actually find moving the shifter to M/S does more to the car's responsiveness than putting the car into "sport" mode alone.

That's just my take, your results may vary.

SFMCS 04-24-2018 03:29 AM

I did the Mini Motoring School in CA and couple of months ago. Automatic JCWs. We always ran sport mode and sport shift. I was told that it reduced DSC by 50%+. Result was smoking and squealing tires. Kept the car off of the guard rails during the track run, however.

MiniCooperMe 04-25-2018 06:36 PM

I do both when i need quickest burst of acceleration
it downshift 2 gears that way vs 1 if possible in the rev range

Kazmini 04-25-2018 08:36 PM

My new Bridgestone tires soften sport mode up. All season run flat compared to sport run flat pirellis that i buuuuuurned up. I’m still enjoying her and she’s even better in the wet. I’m either in sport or green. I prefer the feel of sport.