North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 JCW Tune. Possible? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/326149-jcw-tune-possible.html)

tylerhunter 04-13-2018 10:37 PM

JCW Tune. Possible?

Is it possible to get JUST the JCW tune and not the exhaust or anything else from the dealership?

I love my straight piped exhaust and don't want to fork over the extra $$$ if I don't have to.

vetsvette 04-14-2018 12:22 AM

Comes as a package. You could always sell the exhaust.

Mini_Vinnie 04-14-2018 05:06 AM

Get a ByteTronik flashable tune and you won't have to deal with the hassle of selling exhausts.

It might be cheaper too

bratling 04-14-2018 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4382611)
Get a ByteTronik flashable tune and you won't have to deal with the hassle of selling exhausts.

It might be cheaper too

definitely cheaper. When I inquired at a MINI dealer, the JCW tuning kit was $2400 installed. Pfffft. No sale.

Mini_Vinnie 04-14-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bratling (Post 4382616)

definitely cheaper. When I inquired at a MINI dealer, the JCW tuning kit was $2400 installed. Pfffft. No sale.

Dear lord

mcaanda 04-14-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4382611)

It might be cheaper too

This. It so wakes up the car. Mike's been great to deal with as well for any questions / random programming needs that I've wanted beyond the standard tune.

i know MV will get me for it, but today the pops / bang delete code gets uploaded. :nod:

vetsvette 04-14-2018 11:41 AM

That's one of the upsides of the JCW Pro exhaust. you can route it through the muffler if you want it ti quiet down. I had mine locked open until I installed the catless DP. Realized in short order that I again needed a "stealth" mode.

USA-RET 04-15-2018 08:34 AM

While I like my JCW tune, the price is a bit of a turn off. Exhaust is nice, but again, if you don't care for the extra racket, it's an extra you are paying for that you don't want.

I would have preferred the tune w/o the exhaust, but that's not how BMW/Mini sells the package.

Benefit of going w/ the JCW tune.....you keep the full 4 year warranty on your car @ your dealership.

My next go around, I'm looking at a Dinan Stage 1 for $900. Piggyback warranty and if you have installed by a Dinan authorized retailer, you will be covered for the 4 year warranty on the new car through either your Mini dealership or the authorized Dinan dealership (ideally they are both the same).

You can add a less expensive power module, and most that do, have not had any issues as long as you don't set them to run at the highest level. Downside, you can sacrifice warranty coverage should your motor start to throw CEL's, or go into 'limp mode". Also when bringing the car in for service, you'd be wise to remove the power module before showing up to the dealership. They can and will flag your car if they see the tuner. I've also read that when the dealership puts the car on the computer, they can tell whether the car has had a tune on it. Again, only an issue if you start to have problems.

At my age, I don't need nor want the BS involved in installing or removing parts to try and maintain warranty coverage. Easiest but most expensive is the JCW tune. Dinan has a long history w/ tunes on BMW (and Mini). The tunes are tested and proven to work well.

Personally, I'd wager the Dinan Stage 1 will perform at least as well as the JCW tune (probably better). IMO this provides the best bang for the buck while keeping your warranty coverage in place. Conversely, if your car is out of warranty, I'd look at a flash tune as the better performance alternative since any issues will be out of your pocket anyway.

Just my $.02

tylerhunter 04-16-2018 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by bratling (Post 4382616)

Yeah, I got the same price. That's why I'm trying to get around that.
I guess I'm annoyed because I don't understand why Mini wouldn't offer the tune as a stand-alone product. It's just going to encourage people to get aftermarket tunes and I'm sure they would rather have the business than give it to someone else. Oh well, guess I'm going to shop around for flashable tunes.

Thanks everyone for the input! :thumbsup:

Mini_Vinnie 04-16-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by tylerhunter (Post 4382993)
Oh well, guess I'm going to shop around for flashable tunes.

Here you go, saved you the time looking :grin: - https://www.bytetronik.com/services/...es-ecu-tuning/

tylerhunter 04-16-2018 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4383005)
Here you go, saved you the time looking :grin: - https://www.bytetronik.com/services/...es-ecu-tuning/

Haha! Schubblurbben! That's awesome, had to laugh.
Thanks for sharing that link Vinnie, ready for more power!

Do you happen to know if it's compatible with the Dinan Sport Piggyback?

Bytetronik 04-16-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by tylerhunter (Post 4383009)
Haha! Schubblurbben! That's awesome, had to laugh.
Thanks for sharing that link Vinnie, ready for more power!

Do you happen to know if it's compatible with the Dinan Sport Piggyback?

Our ECU tune replaces the piggyback. Running the piggyback on top of our tune would be too much power for the motor to handle.

TheBigNewt 04-16-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bytetronik (Post 4383021)
Our ECU tune replaces the piggyback. Running the piggyback on top of our tune would be too much power for the motor to handle.

Get an ECU tune for sure, don't mess with the piggyback. I know I have a different car but mine rocks AND it improved the exhaust burble to boot. Took 2 hrs and cost $500. Should've done it sooner is all I can say. The guy who did it in Tempe said half the people he does it for bought the piggyback first. He gets rid of 'em wholesale.

Mini_Vinnie 04-16-2018 02:26 PM

BT is 10-15 minutes to flash the ECU, tops!

TheBigNewt 04-16-2018 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4383171)
BT is 10-15 minutes to flash the ECU, tops!

I think the guy spent 2 hrs updating the car's firmware before the tune, which took like 30 min he said.

Mini_Vinnie 04-16-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 4383181)
I think the guy spent 2 hrs updating the car's firmware before the tune, which took like 30 min he said.

Gotcha, ok, thank makes sense now.