F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Cooper S or JCW grill on a standard Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:14 PM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper S or JCW grill on a standard Cooper

Hello

I have done a search and can't see anything

Does anyone know if a Cooper S or JCW grill will fit on a standard Cooper,if so how and is there a guide at all?

The link below ahows one on a standard Cooper but it's in a different language and the video isn't about the bumper but shows it can be done somehow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXGZzyBvo7I

many thanks!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 PM
reuben3
Neutral
Either will fit just fine.

Last edited by reuben3; 01-21-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM
wlondoner
1st Gear
I've heard that it's not the same fitting

Old 01-20-2018, 10:16 PM
reuben3
Neutral
Originally Posted by wlondoner
I've heard that it's not the same fitting
I can assure you it fits.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ont-grill.html

51137393456 thats the one you fitted?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
It's easy to go from Cooper s to jcw but don't think it's as easy to get a standard Cooper grill off and fit a Cooper s grill on it without taking the bumper off at least

Old 01-25-2018, 05:44 PM
reuben3
Neutral
It's actually very easy. All three grill styles (standard, S, and JCW) are interchangeable. The clipping points are absolutely identical.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 PM
reuben3
Neutral
Wlondoner, did you end up changing your grill?

If you found it difficult, its because some mini's had their grill clips glued from factory while some were not.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:04 PM
wlondoner
1st Gear
I haven't yet I'm a bit worried I will mess it up or not be able to get the original off I need to see what tools I need to get it off too - any ideas?
i changed a grill I had in my 2004 mini years ago and remember it was very stressful lol

i have a standard (but mega spec) Cooper (non s) F56 in black so I'm thinking of going with the JCW grill I think that will look best and with that I can also change the colour of the strip on the bottom of it (seen ones on eBay different colours)

Old 01-25-2018, 08:20 PM
reuben3
Neutral
Can you share what mega-spec mods you did?
I spent over an hour to remove the factory grill because my clips were all glued. After that the new grill literally took 10 seconds to install, it just snapped and locked into place.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Originally Posted by reuben3
Can you share what mega-spec mods you did?
I spent over an hour to remove the factory grill because my clips were all glued. After that the new grill literally took 10 seconds to install, it just snapped and locked into place.
No I mean it's big spec as standard I haven't done any mods yet if I do they will be as OEM as I can get.How did you get the glued ones out?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 AM
mikeswagon
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a straight swap, just a few clips, but never heard about any being glued before....

This should help you

Here's mine, Cooper S grill bought direct from the dealers cheaper than ebay, painted the horizontal bar black when I did the grill surround, and wrapped the S in orange:

Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Thanks for this! Really appreciate it

your mini looks fantastic and has made me want to do this!

I too have the same model and year mini so hopefully it will be as easy as yours to do.
Do you have to declare this grill on insurance policy?

I love the strips you can get on eBay in different colours for the bottom of the grill so will buy them too

Old 01-26-2018, 04:30 AM
mikeswagon
2nd Gear
Thanks for this! Really appreciate it

your mini looks fantastic and has made me want to do this!

I too have the same model and year mini so hopefully it will be as easy as yours to do.
Do you have to declare this grill on insurance policy?

I love the strips you can get on eBay in different colours for the bottom of the grill so will buy them too

No worries.

Mine was in for foglight replacement under warranty, and since this involved them removing the bumper I asked them to remove the grill surround, so I could swap on the black one. Dealers were very helpful, he took me into the workshop to show me where the bumper fixings were.

I may have forgotten to declare the grill, but you should to be safe.

The bar on the grill simply unclips so you can wrap it yourself, or spray it.

Last edited by mikeswagon; 01-26-2018 at 04:31 AM. Reason: edited to remove umpty hundred white space
Old 01-26-2018, 04:42 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mikeswagon
No worries.

Mine was in for foglight replacement under warranty, and since this involved them removing the bumper I asked them to remove the grill surround, so I could swap on the black one. Dealers were very helpful, he took me into the workshop to show me where the bumper fixings were.

I may have forgotten to declare the grill, but you should to be safe.

The bar on the grill simply unclips so you can wrap it yourself, or spray it.
Fantastic thank you! I've found I it hard to find a Cooper owner who has done this so it's much appreciated.I'm going to go for the JCW one and red strip thing for now as it will suit my black Cooper, and maybe neon blue strip in the future. Don't think I will be removing the grill surround at least not for now.Have you done anymore mods to the car?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 AM
mikeswagon
2nd Gear
Mostly just cosmetic stuff, so colour coded light surrounds, black grill surround, pressed plates, Mini door stripes.

All stuff that's easy to put back to standard for selling. Not sure it I'll keep it once the PCP runs out in Aug, but if I do then it's getting lowered on springs as I've the variable suspension, chipped, and remove the resonator or back box on the exhaust.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 AM
reuben3
Neutral
Here's my Challenge 210 inspired 1.5.

I swapped to the JCW grill and blacked-out the badge using plasti-dip (don't want to be a pretentious ***). Also got rid of the V-shaped stripes for Viper stripes for aggressive looks.

Cooper S or JCW grill on a standard Cooper-img_8870.jpg
(The doors are all open because I was at the car wash)

Old 01-26-2018, 05:07 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Blimey now that is beautiful thank you for the pictures really appreciate them. It helps me imagine what my black mini will look like.

you did a great job making it look like a challenge.

any ideas for what I could do with a standard 1.5 black mini?

thanks again!

Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 AM
reuben3
Neutral
TBH, I know this might not be the advice you are looking for, but I'd rather put the money into buying a new S or JCW - i'm saving real hard for one

But since you asked, there's 2 sensible mods that one must do the 1.5:

1. Tyres is top priority - get the best performance tyre possible. Don't gimp on it even if it means no more money to do any other mods.
2. JB4/Dinan tuning module - pick your choice, it'll give you even more low end torque, but don't expect any changes at the top end (it feels like a volkswagen up!)

At the end of the day, 1.5 is borderline a sporty car, it feels it has a lot of potential but it really doesn't. Good luck and enjoy your car for what it is!

Old 01-26-2018, 05:33 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Originally Posted by reuben3
TBH, I know this might not be the advice you are looking for, but I'd rather put the money into buying a new S or JCW - i'm saving real hard for one

But since you asked, there's 2 sensible mods that one must do the 1.5:

1. Tyres is top priority - get the best performance tyre possible. Don't gimp on it even if it means no more money to do any other mods.
2. JB4/Dinan tuning module - pick your choice, it'll give you even more low end torque, but don't expect any changes at the top end (it feels like a volkswagen up!)

At the end of the day, 1.5 is borderline a sporty car, it feels it has a lot of potential but it really doesn't. Good luck and enjoy your car for what it is!
Thanks - I don't want one due to me living in a city I need an economical car.Just purely for looks I want to do a few changes nothing major and this JCW grill was one idea.I'm now certain I'm doing this!I haven't got bonnet stripes I'm not keen on the white ones on a black car though so I'm still thinking on this!

Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 AM
reuben3
Neutral
Thanks - I don't want one due to me living in a city I need an economical car.Just purely for looks I want to do a few changes nothing major and this JCW grill was one idea.I'm now certain I'm doing this!I haven't got bonnet stripes I'm not keen on the white ones on a black car though so I'm still thinking on this!
Well there's no right or wrong with bonnet stripes on mini, you can go absolutely nuts with the design.

I have a hunch you're like me and prefer a more factory look (could be wrong). If I had a black mini, I would do custom stripes like the carbon edition.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:31 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Thanks for the idea!

Yes 100% factory look I prefer for many reasons. And they are easier to sell on!

Old 01-26-2018, 11:30 AM
mikeswagon
2nd Gear
Black or white Minis are good in that most colours work well when it comes to roof/mirrors/stripes etc.

Have you seen pictures of the 1499 GT? The gold on the door stripes would look good or something similar to the Bond Street Clubman.... if it was mine I'm a bit more limited with VO.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:53 AM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Yeah I currently have gold jack mirrors on and looks good but wanted a more sporty look

was thinking red roof and wing mirrors would look good with black
but also seen really cool neon blue which goods great with black but maybe it's just me who thinks that as I've never seen one on the road lol