F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 So what does everyone think of the REFRESH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
So what does everyone think of the REFRESH?

Autoblog posted a slew of pics of the new refresh on the Mini. What does everyone think? Personally I like most of it. I like the more cohesive look to the DRL rings in the headlights, and I dig the Union Jack rear tail lights. If these tail lights are made in non-LED form, I think I might get them when available. I just replaced my rear tail lights with the Euro spec tail lights, so I will check these out in person before making the switch, but they look like they would just be a direct fit to the existing tails.

Looking forward to seeing the 3 new colors as well.

Starlight Blue
Solaris Orange
Emerald Gray

Lots of pics at the link below.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/09/...n-jack-lights/

Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Even more pics at the below link. The two cars above are two of the new colors; Starlight Blue and Solaris Orange, but Emerald Gray has yet to be shown.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mini/...t-look-review/

Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Not a fan of the tail lights.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShipM8
Not a fan of the tail lights.
Agree, not a fan of the tail lights, but I am a fan of the interior / tech improvements, at least from the small details in the article and the photos. My 2014 is coming out of warranty later this year, I might start to tease a refresh for myself! LOL Well... maybe I'll wait for the next refresh where they might add a DCT.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:40 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Read a few articles so far on this LCI refresh, and it seems that the new rear tail lights will only be LED, so Im assuming base rear tail lights wont be Union Jack. Basically if you dont opt for the LED headlights (or dont already have the upgraded headlights on your current F56), then these new rear tail lights wont retrofit to current models. Guess time will tell.

The following users liked this post:
deblue (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Garish and phony. This car has never been LESS British. Give it a rest already!!

Thumbs-up on the headlights/DRLs. Should have done them like this from the start.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Im not a fan of the chrome brake ducts.

Plus, Im Italian, I dont want the UK flag posted everywhere

Hence:

deblue (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Johras
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually like the new tail lights and it looks like the fuel gauge went from mid-80s to mid-90s design

deblue (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Johras
Actually like the new tail lights and it looks like the fuel gauge went from mid-80s to mid-90s design
I've been driving a 2018 Justa for a couple days while my MCS is in for service and it has the new fuel gauge. As terrible as the old one was I am not sure this is any better. It still has the same number of bars, they are just attached. There is so much interior design on these cars that I like, but man, those fuel gauges...

Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
I like the new digital fuel gauge in my '18.

Originally Posted by StephenM
I've been driving a 2018 Justa for a couple days while my MCS is in for service and it has the new fuel gauge. As terrible as the old one was I am not sure this is any better. It still has the same number of bars, they are just attached. There is so much interior design on these cars that I like, but man, those fuel gauges...

Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I think they just made ugly, uglier. :/

Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Sales are down, minor cosmetic changes just make many potential buyers stick with what they have. Surprised they haven't accelerated changes, but then again the average buyer isn't on NAM salivating over DCT or other technical upgrades.

I'm waiting for all electric or ALL4 for the F56 so the rear end bites into the pavement.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
I am not interested in ANYTHING electric when it comes to vehicles, but what I wouldnt do for Mini to make a rear-wheel drive only Mini Cooper. All4 Cooper F56 would be nice, but too heavy. It would need a good HP bump, IMO.

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Sales are down, minor cosmetic changes just make many potential buyers stick with what they have. Surprised they haven't accelerated changes, but then again the average buyer isn't on NAM salivating over DCT or other technical upgrades.

I'm waiting for all electric or ALL4 for the F56 so the rear end bites into the pavement.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:49 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FunToMini
I am not interested in ANYTHING electric when it comes to vehicles, but what I wouldnt do for Mini to make a rear-wheel drive only Mini Cooper. All4 Cooper F56 would be nice, but too heavy. It would need a good HP bump, IMO.
I think the car you describe is the BMW 1-series hatch, but since we cannot get it in North America, dream on, I guess. Besides, even that car is going UKL and FWD/X-drive (which makes it even more like a MINI LOL)

Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM
djtomy
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Johras
I dig the new fuel gauge, wonder if we will be able to change them out.

deblue (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM
deblue
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several videos of the new features are on this link, towards the end of the article is the TV Footage link. First few scenes show the tail lights and headlights. Scene 5 & 6 shows a gray color, I think it's the new gray. I just love the tail lights but seems like several don't https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ni-convertible

Last edited by deblue; 01-10-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 AM
mikeswagon
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenM

I always smile when I see complaints about the F series fuel gauge.

IIRC the R series had the 8 bars, in a little circle, so the functionality was no better/worse?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:04 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeswagon
I always smile when I see complaints about the F series fuel gauge.

IIRC the R series had the 8 bars, in a little circle, so the functionality was no better/worse?
Yeah, literally the same thing lol. The 'R' was just better because it wasn't a tumor on the side of the tach.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM
darex
5th Gear
Saw a video. The DRL ring is also the turn signal (turns yellow). Looks good!

They claimed full-LED is now a standard feature, across-the-board.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 AM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's ok, certainly not enough for me to replace my '14. I like that the interior LED's are cleaner (not splotchy) around the center display, and the lighting above the glove box is kinda cool, but not cooler than the stash compartment. The taillights I could take or leave. My problem with those, is that is seems the actual brake light portion is fairly minimal for the overall size of the taillight housing. Less people really pay attention these days, and I could see smaller brake lights being a problem especially in an emergency stop situation. For me, this is one of those "wait and see in person" situations. The extra technology is good, but again, overall not worth it to me to swap my current F56.

vetsvette (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Well, this makes the decision of whether or not I will be getting the new rear tail lights very easy. I wont be! LOL

Originally Posted by darex

They claimed full-LED is now a standard feature, across-the-board.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Never a fan of the mouthpiece on the S...wish they would get rid of that.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM
curtyv
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had a couple 2018s as loaners with various options over the past couple months as my 2014 MCS was in for service.

- Fuel gauge looks slightly better but still functions the same.
- New LED DRLs look really nice, and this is by far my favorite of the new features.
- The driving modes switch: I don't like where it was moved - it's too far of a reach in my normal driving position. However, I do like the feel of it being a toggle switch as opposed to the shifter ring where it is on previous F56 models.
- Turn signal stalk. Haven't seen this mentioned, it actually pops up and down into place like every other car out there! I like this a lot too and find myself missing it once I get my car back.
- Haven't seen the new colors IRL but the blue looks great, and the orange looks like a proper orange compared to the volcanic (yellow).

Also, related to the driving modes switch change, I had a Justa with no driving modes. I seem to remember another poster here that had no driving modes either, but that was a Latin America spec car, Mexico if I recall correctly. I wonder if with the refresh BMW are making some things standard (Backup cameras per NA federal regulation, and LED as someone else mentioned in this thread) while recouping the cost somehow by making past standard options as premiums.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Curtyv,

My new 2018 Justa has no driving modes, but it has other options. Mine is the new Signature Line, so it comes one way, and one way only. The Driving Modes is a premium option now; $500.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The 2018 Justa I had as a loaner also had no driving modes, but I assumed that was because it wasn't an S? And yes, it was a member from Mexico has a F56 S without the modes!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 So what does everyone think of the REFRESH?