F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Whatdaya think of a EV MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 03:55 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Corvairs-my first 2 cars were Corvairs ('64 Spyder)-brother had a '65 + '66 Corsa convertible-ran Friday night rallies for 3 years...unique cars rear engine/rear drive.

First Mini '03 another unique change, almost opposite of the Corvairs.

The EVs will be another unique change in handling, weight, acceleration and I am sure that it will find its place. If it "takes off" the reality is that the infrastructure of the electric grid will have to be addressed. Battery power storage is still a problem to date but don't forget, in the beginning of motoring there were steam driven machines on the road...

Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
Hydrogen is a long ways off. I have a "water torch" 30 years ago that converted distilled water to hydrogen/oxygen. The catalyst pellets were outrageously expensive. Very low pressure output and required electricity for gas generation. The catalyst is the key and then there is gas storage, especially in a wreck. Remember the German blimps, like the Hindenburg? The US used helium from around Amarillo TX which is running out, now...
https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ndenburgs.html

While full implementation may be a ways off, I'm confident big oil will do everything it can to perpetuate the "Hindenburg" comparisons to stall progress until they can get their' "meathooks" into the profits of the new technology. Much like Edison and J.P Morgan did w/ Tesla by publicly electrocuting elephants, dogs and cats to show the danger of Alternating Current..

Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
"Big Oil" is very diversified including natural gas, mining (catalyst), wind (SW Texas for example). Having used hydrogen torches for 40 years (casting platinum for example) it is a very dangerous fuel.

Why does one see so many recalls such as Mini? Computer projection/design issues. Until they are tested in the field, under various circumstances, like the Chevy volt catching fire recall, I will wait. I remember when Lexus first came out. Over 100 burst into flames at stoplights in Houston. The owners were given brand new cars immediately at the dealer. It was kept out of the press but widely known in the auto grapevine. If hydrogen goes, it will take out more than one car next to it.

Big Oil, like BP (British Petroleum) is headquartered in GB which gave a tax incentive for diesel cars, now is going to tax it at a higher rate because they "pollute." Figure that one out.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:29 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
My guess is US will get very limited numbers like the F60 SE. My dealer being smaller only received 2 slots for 2018 model year. My plan is to give him 25% down about 6 months ahead of launch for the new all E model.

Lucy will be hitting the end of her extended warranty and maintenance program at just about that time and will need to be moving on to a home with a mechanically inclined or deep pocket person.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Latest issue of Automobile had a good article on EV cars. 2020 seems like a year that we will see some big changes w/ many if not all manufacturers getting firmly into the full electric mode w/ more than a few offerings in their line-ups.

Additionally it was mentioned that a few European countries have plans to ban production of/sale of internal combustion autos as soon as 2025. France and the UK by 2040.

Rather hard to imagine we may be seeing the beginning of the end for the gasoline and diesel motors in our cars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=EV+C...nt=firefox-b-1

Last edited by USA-RET; 12-02-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Fizzyx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2017All4
But let us not kid ourselves, the precious metals and bad chemicals in batteries plus the electric motor magnets and windings raise questions as to just how much the electric solution really does ease the car's environmental footprint.
Actually it is still way ahead of an IC engine because all of those components listed are solids. Consequently they can readily be captured - the recycling process might be costly but can nevertheless be done.

On the other hand, exhaust gases are pretty elusive once in the atmosphere.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:54 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd love to have an electric Mini. But, the issue for me is range, range, range.
200 miles is not far enough, especially since you'd need to factor in a reserve to keep from getting stranded. I'd like to see 500 or more miles on a charge,

Old 03-31-2022, 06:28 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BMBULBE
I'd love to have an electric Mini. But, the issue for me is range, range, range.
200 miles is not far enough, especially since you'd need to factor in a reserve to keep from getting stranded. I'd like to see 500 or more miles on a charge,
It's just a matter of time for tech to catch up. Tesla has one vehicle (although expensive) with a purported 600 +mile range.

Tesla was also experimenting with a 3650 mile battery.
Issue with this latest discovery was only 75 recharge cycles before the battery was exhausted. However to put this into perspective, it would mean the avg American driver would only need to charge their car once every 3 months (using 15K miles per year as a basis), so the car would last 17.5 years before the battery would be shot. Imagine if you only drove 10K or less, how much longer that car battery would last. On the plus side, imagine being able to drive from NY to LA without a fuel stop. Interesting possibilities.

In my case an EV with a range of 250-300 miles would suit me perfectly, although having a second ICE car is a nice fallback. An EV as a second car makes the most sense with present tech being what it is IMO.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:07 PM
Apexerman
Neutral
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BMBULBE
It all depends on how you'll use it. I owned a BMW i3 with range extender for a couple of years (the electric MINI shares much of the componentry of the i3, so the comparisons should be apt). The i3 typically had a range of 80 miles on electricity, 70 miles on the gas-powered range extender. Truthfully, I rarely got the range extender to operate since most of my commutes were within 50 miles. The vast majority of charging took place at home with standard 120V. It charged to full overnight. When I was farther away, I could source a DC fast charge terminal that could provide about an 80% charge in 20-30 minutes. The electric MINI SE has slightly higher range along fast charge capability, so it's possible to make it work. If, however, you routinely travel longer distances, then yeah, the SE won't be the best option. You could keep a cheap ICE vehicle for the long distance stuff.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:50 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts
For me, I do not see any benefit for buying an EV at the moment. The factory build and disposal of an EV is harder on the environment than a gas powered car. Charging an EV- hurts the environment because it uses fossil fuels to generate electricity. There are not enough working charging station in NY, NJ area. The cost of insurance is much higher. Terrible range- especially when you crank the heat & ac. There are also many other "hidden environmental issues" that the companies are not telling you about. Overall, EV's are one big dud.

Last edited by michaelo; 04-07-2022 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dpcompt (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:27 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
If EV's were a good fit for me, then I would buy one, but they aren't.

Last edited by 2017All4; 04-07-2022 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Removed rude comment
The following users liked this post:
dpcompt (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 02:17 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelo
The factory build and disposal of an EV is harder on the environment than a gas powered car.
False. https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/el...le-myths#Myth5

Charging an EV- hurts the environment because it uses fossil fuels to generate electricity.
Are you not aware that ICE cars run on fossil fuel? EVs are far, far more efficient than ICE cars, and can be recharged through renewables such as wind and solar.

The cost of insurance is much higher.
Citation needed. This hasn't been my experience.

​​​​​​Terrible range- especially when you crank the heat & ac.
While range is affected by ambient temperature, it's not that dramatic.

There are also many other "hidden environmental issues" that the companies are not telling you about.
This is true of literally every product on the planet.

Last edited by 2017All4; 04-07-2022 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Let's keep this discussion away from the personal stuff. Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2022, 03:35 PM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
  1. False. https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/el...le-myths#Myth5
  2. Are you not aware that ICE cars run on fossil fuel? EVs are far, far more efficient than ICE cars, and can be recharged through renewables such as wind and solar.
  3. Citation needed. This hasn't been my experience.
  4. While range is affected by ambient temperature, it's not that dramatic.
  5. This is true of literally every product on the planet.
  6. ​​​​​​Do you work in the oil industry by chance?
: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...20life%20cycle.
    1. Electric cars also have impacts arising from the manufacturing of the vehicle.[28][29] The manufacturing of the battery results in significant environmental impact, as it requires copper and aluminum for its anode and cathode. Since battery packs are heavy, manufacturers work to lighten the rest of the vehicle. As a result, electric car components contain many lightweight materials that require a lot of energy to produce and process, such as aluminium and carbon-fiber-reinforced polymers. [30]

The manufacturing of EV motors also results in environmental impacts. Electric cars can utilize two types of motors: permanent magnet motors (like the one found in the Tesla Model 3), and induction motors (like the one found on the Tesla Model S). Induction motors do not use magnets, but permanent magnet motors do. The magnets found in permanent magnet motors used in electric vehicles contain rare-earth metals to increase the power output of these motors.[31] The mining and processing of metals such as lithium, copper, and nickel requires significant energy and can release toxic compounds into the surrounding area. Local populations may be exposed to toxic substances through air and groundwater contamination.[32]
  2. Both ICE and EV depend on fossil fuels. Two thirds of the worlds electricity comes from fossil fuels. So driving an EV is not saving the planet. https://world-nuclear.org/nuclear-es...come-from.aspx
  3. The insurance companies disagree with you. https://www.progressive.com/answers/...tric-vehicles/
  4. Weather dramatically affects range. This is also a fact: https://electrek.co/2019/02/07/study...esla-disputes/
  5. We are not talking about every product. Just EV's.
  6. I do not work in the oil industry, I am a automotive/computer programmer by trade. Also, they are the least reliable vehicles on the road today. https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-problem-areas
EV's are one big flop.

Last edited by 2017All4; 04-07-2022 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I'm requesting that we keep the personal stuff out of this
Old 04-07-2022, 04:42 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I think the thoughtful expression of differing opinions is interesting and useful. I appreciate the various sources that posters are citing to reinforce their points.
Let's keep the snark out of this stimulating conversation.

Thank you.
Da Moderator.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:34 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
EV's are one big flop.

The market disagrees.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:33 PM
michaelo
3rd Gear
↑ That chart confirms what I said. EV's are a flop. Electric cars have been around since the Civil War and they still haven't made a real dent in sales. https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...ine/index.html

A few other tidbits:
GM is discontinuing the Chevy Volt. You would think after being around for 113 years they would have figured out how to make a hybrid car: https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...the-chevy-volt
Jaguar's EV sales are now in the red and only getting worse: https://insideevs.com/news/561066/ja...9%20and%202020). and the company has now committed corporate suicide by going all EV in 2025.
EV sales dropped as range increased: https://www.torquenews.com/1083/thes...f-bolt-model-3
The EV charging network is in shambles and only getting worse: https://www.greenbiz.com/article/its...ng-reliability
Toyota's boss supports the ICE engine: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/21/...n-engine-bans/

Last edited by michaelo; 04-08-2022 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:59 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Old 04-08-2022, 06:40 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Old 04-08-2022, 09:49 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
For me, the current Cooper SE is at the perfect balance between weight, handling, and range, and is the most fun MINI I've had since my first one, which was an R50. More range sounds nice on paper, but in reality I don't need it day to day. I charge 2-3 times per week using the included charger, which is only 10A at 110V, but it's been sufficient for my needs.

If it was our only car, it wouldn't work out, but we also have a Clubman that we take out of town. I don't know if our household will ever go full electric since we live in the southwest where distances between towns is large, but if the rumored next gen hybrids become a reality that will be compelling.

I'd love to see a JCW Clubman hybrid where two wheels are ICE and two are electric, but at this point I'm just hoping they don't cancel the Clubman altogether.