F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 MCS 2016 JB4+JCW tuning kit safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS 2016 JB4+JCW tuning kit safe?

Hello All,

I´ve recently start investing some money on my car, first step was the intake (K&N), now i´ve just install the JB4 and JCW tuning kit (exhaust + tune) is already on it´s way, I have two questions.

First one is, Is it safe to run JB4 Map 1 + the JCW tuning Kit?
Second is: I´m installing the JCW exhaust myself, the question is, does anyone in the forum has made the coding itself?

Thanks on advance for your comments.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:22 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I have a Dinan sport and the JCW tune for almost 2 years, no issues at all so I cant see this being an issue

The following users liked this post:
seanmcs (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmcs
I´m installing the JCW exhaust myself, the question is, does anyone in the forum has made the coding itself?
Installing the exhaust yourself is possible although it does require wiring for the BT controller. But, to get the tune you need to take it to a certified Mini/BMW tech because it can't be done unless you have the BMW factory software on your computer.

seanmcs (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:14 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
That combo, JB4 and JCW tune, should be fine. Be sure to run the JB4 on map 1. Map 2 will be too much unless you only use race fuel.

JB4 map 1 is only 1psi higher than the other piggyback's on the market that people are running with no problems in combo with the JCW tune.

seanmcs (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Mini_Vinnie
So wait, you dont have the JCW tune yet? If not then dont put the JB4 in until the dealer codes your mini. Depending on the dealership it could have warranty implications (although its illegal to do so)

seanmcs (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Hello All,

Good advice to unplugged the JB4 before i take it to the dealer, and for the wiring i was already aware of it i´m just feeling that the tricky part it´s going to be the removal of the panels, I hope that the instructions that i found across the forum will be enough.

And for what i´ve been researching in different places, before I can run the map 2 (JB4) car must have a downpipe, is this true? or race fuel will do it?

Thanks again for the advices.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:36 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hello All,

Good advice to unplugged the JB4 before i take it to the dealer, and for the wiring i was already aware of it i´m just feeling that the tricky part it´s going to be the removal of the panels, I hope that the instructions that i found across the forum will be enough.

And for what i´ve been researching in different places, before I can run the map 2 (JB4) car must have a downpipe, is this true? or race fuel will do it?

Thanks again for the advices.
The limiting factor for map 2 is octane. It is not true that you need a downpipe. If you want to run map 2, which I don't really suggest with the JCW tune, you should run 100% race fuel meaning 100+ octane. NOT using octane booster, but actual 105 octane fuel. If you don't then you will most likely make LESS power than on map 1 due to extreme timing pull.

The following 2 users liked this post by trentiles:
seanmcs (11-30-2017), vetsvette (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:38 AM
vetsvette
Ditto for the NM module. On a JCW or JCW Tuning Kit, running the module on high Will result in less power than running in the low/MAP1 setting, Unless running race fuel.

seanmcs (11-30-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Hello all,

So I’ve finally received and installed the exhaust, but I’m quite disappointed about it, the exhaust is to quite and doesn’t crackles and pops even with the valve open as I’ve seen on videos and other cars with it, does anyone knows why is this?, I’m thinking that it might be because I still haven’t got the tune at the dealership, any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your comments

Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Mini_Vinnie
do like I did, get a catless/resonator free midpipe installed. It will open up the sound.

Unfortunately, the JCW is probably the quietest of the upgraded exhaust systems out there.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Hi Vinnie,

The JCW pro exhaust has a catless mid pipe, my stock exhaust had a middle cat or resonator not sure. That is why I’m disappointed of the sound.

thanks for the advice.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM
vetsvette
If you have a MCS you need the tune. The car should be in sport mode and at operating temperature. Mine sounds like a machine gun sometimes depending on conditions. It isn't too loud in regular driving, but it sounds off when you put your foot down. I have mine set so the flap remains open all the time. Got tired of the BT interference. Also have the car coded to start up in Sport mode so when I get in all I do is hit the start toggle and go. No pushing buttons or selecting modes for me. Get the tune, because you're giving up about 20 horses by not doing it.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
That is the other factor that I was thinking it could be a problem, unfortunately my car doesn’t have the driving mode selector 😞

i hope that once I get the tune, things would get better.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 AM
Mini_Vinnie
my stock exhaust had a middle cat or resonator not sure
Yep, take that out. Heres a link to what I did to my JCW exhaust - http://www.fastredmini.com/2017/03/m...or-delete.html

I love how it sounds

Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 AM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Yes exactly, that is exactly what I did! Look this is how the JCW exhaust looks like, no middle resonator/cat.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your car is not a US-spec car hence there’s no secondary cat on the midpipe and no flared fitting to the downpipe.
Still doesn't explain why you’re not getting the pops in sport mode. It should be substantially louder than the stock exhaust with the valve fully open in all driving modes. Have you checked the valve by visually confirming from the rear of the car?
Install a decat pipe if you want it to be louder still. The tune or any piggyback will not change the exhaust sound.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Your car is not a US-spec car hence there’s no secondary cat on the midpipe
I was wondering if that was the case, or I was going crazy.

I guess you could always get a shop to cut the muffler part out and essentially straight pipe it. There are videos on YouTube of that.

Its loud though

Old 12-08-2017, 12:38 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Hello All,

Yes, I already check if the valve was open, so that is not the issue, regarding the sport mode, my car doesn’t have the driving mode selector, so I can’t choose if I want green, mid or sport. Maybe that’s the issue.
Car is in the agency getting the tune done, they say maybe for tomorrow it would be ready, be posting the updates!

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Mini_Vinnie
wait ...... the Mini S's in Mexico dont have a driving mode? How is that possible? I can't imagine Mini would make 2 completely different versions of Mini.

Can you post a picture of your interior? Im blown away if this is the case.

Sorry if Im coming off as a jerk. I knew there were differences between UK/USA but not USA/Mexico versions. Especially no driving mode

Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear

Sure no problem, I’ve seen in mexico mcs with the driving mode selector it’s just that mine doesn’t have it.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Mini_Vinnie
wow ....... mind blown. They are completely different.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:52 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Hello All,

So my car finally got the tune and there was no difference with the sound, but I’ve noticed now that with the valve open there’s a sound that sounds like if the exhaust has a leak somewhere, that made me think, does anyone putting an exhaust has used any type of cement? or simply the clamps that comes with it?

I’ll be checking again the exhaust using soap to see if there are noticeable leaks that my be interfering with the sound.

Thanks again for your comments

Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Hello All,

So my car finally got the tune and there was no difference with the sound, but I’ve noticed now that with the valve open there’s a sound that sounds like if the exhaust has a leak somewhere, that made me think, does anyone putting an exhaust has used any type of cement? or simply the clamps that comes with it?

I’ll be checking again the exhaust using soap to see if there are noticeable leaks that my be interfering with the sound.

Thanks again for your comments
Hard to know how your car sounds compared to others w/ the JCW tune and exhaust.

I know that when I start mine up the exhaust sounds rather muted. when I open the flap, it gets much deeper. Again, to try and describe in another way, it it does sound as if the muffler has a hole in it or has become detached from the exhaust.

I can get mine to burble and fart if I'm driving and downshift into a lower gear, The engine RPM's raise and if I take my foot off the throttle, the exhaust makes all kinds of racket. W/o out the exhaust flap open, it doesn't make nearly the noise it does w/ the flap open.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:26 AM
Mini_Vinnie
If it is a slip fit then I don't think there is really anything to seal but you can always try something like this: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

It makes or helps reinforce gaskets. I used it several times on various cars

Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 PM
seanmcs
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice Vinnie,

I already checked the clamp and i found a little hole that wasn't covering a gap on the exhaust so that was the reason why it sounded like a leak, but even with that, i can't get it to pop, i take it to dealership and they couldn't gave me a reason why the exhaust ain´t poping, i guess i´ll have to learn to live with it hahaha