F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 What are the Essential F56 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
As someone who purchased a car for $107k and just sold it for $58k a few years later I can assure you the mods I put on the car made zero difference in the selling price of the car. When I buy most mods I consider it a complete loss, other than the enjoyment of the item. The Dinan I'll be able to sell quickly a hundred bucks under whatever they're selling for at the time. The rear sway bar makes a serious difference with these cars and I'm happy to lose a few hundred bucks on it to make my next 30 months of driving far more enjoyable. I was planning on getting a nice R53 but found a sweet deal I couldn't refuse on a new JCW with 30 months left. Also, there's a limit to returning a leased car with mods but it's definitely not a zero tolerance thing. If the shifter looks like stock and isn't stupid short, it's fine. Sway bar...hmmm maybe..I'm considering painting it before putting it on. SS brake lines? That'll be fine and in my book makes a huge difference in drivability. Big Pair? purchase, install, drive, remove, sell. Stubby antenna...uhhh? See where I'm going with this? A wise man once said value mods when selling your used car by adding up all your mods and multiplying that value by zero. There are of course exceptions but this is the general rule. This will be my car for the next 30 months. Why pay the ~$330 a month for a pretty good car when with some mods I will effectively pay $390 for an incredible car? The smiles per dollar ratio with Minis is very good to begin with. If I was an economist I would have purchased a used i3 for $15k, charged it with my solar panels, and driven it till it died. I'm not. I like cars. I like mods. I like driving.

Best,
Gene

The following 2 users liked this post by phantasms:
J_L (12-05-2017), peterpan101 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 05:59 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Hey drive the hell out of it and enjoy doing it. That’s whats it’s all about our we’d all be driving hybrids.

Like I said, I wasn’t trying to come off as a *****

phantasms (12-06-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:33 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Finally picked up the car last night. Much to install now! I didn't get a huge sense of it as I had 4wheels/tires in the rear hatch and my license plates were, well maybe, still registered on the Z06. I had insurance though! lol

Anyway...yeah the stock shifter is horrendous garbage. I think they do this kind of thing to get people to finally stop buying manuals. NEVER!!!!

Thank you for all the comments on the shifters above however I'd like to know what shifter [any part] options do I have to improve the feel while keeping it visually exactly the same. I do surprisingly like the shift ****. Well it's good enough at least. So glad to be motoring again.

Thank you all!

Best,
Gene

Old 12-08-2017, 07:32 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the shifter, people have said the Cravenspeed shifter retaining clip helped reduce the slop. I plan on getting that and the Helix short shift adapter in hopes of helping with feel.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-shi...ning-clip-pro/
https://www.cravenspeed.com/helix-sh...-kit-for-mini/

Welcome back to Mini!

phantasms (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Mini_Vinnie
I have the CravenSpeed short throw shifter on mine. Its adjustable so you can keep the stock height if you like. I have mine set as low as it can go though:

http://www.fastredmini.com/2017/02/c...w-shifter.html

Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
+1 for CS adjustable short shifter and Pro Clip. With this shifter you can keep the stock **** or use a screw on ****. Very flexible. I have mine set as low as it'll go to. What's cool is you can adjust it even with the boot on.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:31 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Thanks for all the replies. So all the above options mentioned keep the appearance completely stock?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Old 12-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Yep, you literally unscrew, position the shifter height, lock down.

You can use the stock **** as vetvette mentioned

Old 12-09-2017, 10:31 AM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
According to th cravenspeed website their short shifter is not compatible with the JCW shift ****, so you will need to by a new one, eliminating the stock appearance. Also, I’m concerned with the installation on a JCW since the shift boot is shorter than that on the “S”, and not reaching the top of the shifter. Can anyone confirm?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have a Mini spec press-on shift **** on mine. Mounts the same as the stock ****. The adjustable short shifter has a threaded shaft that will take most ***** and a sleeve that fit a stock ****. I'm guessing the stainless steel looking extension of the JCW **** causes a problem. I was never personally a big fan of the stock *****. The shifter, pro Clip, and CS **** were among the first mods I did when I got my car. I've since changed *****, but the CS part if you decide on that route is a quality piece.