F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Manual or Automatic... I CANNOT decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes, it does rock. Nice coupe!!! We are thinking about adding a roadster in the spring next year if we can find one that will catch our eye.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
IMO, EVERYONE should have to know how to drive a manual.

Originally Posted by Pure Red
And Valets who go into a panic when they've seen one of our Manual Trans Cars needing to be parked.....

Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FunToMini
I will agree with you, but it's not a 'happening thing' these days. And car manufs. know it with regards to what sells....
I love the signature of Save The Manuals from one of the posters here on NAM, I think manuals are an endangered species.....
But look at it this way with manual trans cars, it's one more way of making a car more theft resistant........

Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
My brother lives in Omaha and he told me of an attempted car jacking last year. The jackers were caught at the scene-they couldn't drive a manual.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Why?

I used to think the same, but now it makes no sense. Better off spending the time learning how to fish, hunt or unclog a toilet. More directly related, how to change a tire.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Why?

I used to think the same, but now it makes no sense. Better off spending the time learning how to fish, hunt or unclog a toilet. More directly related, how to change a tire.

^^^^^^

Now that's funny.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's why...

Why?

Driving a manual transmission is a way more engaging experience of actually driving... If you don't feel it's worth the time to learn, then you will never understand.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by signcarver
Driving a manual transmission is a way more engaging experience of actually driving... If you don't feel it's worth the time to learn, then you will never understand.
I learned to drive a manual on my brothers motorcycle before I had a license. I've driven mostly manuals, but to the point why should everyone learn to drive something that most people will never see or own? They are disappearing at a fast rate and in the not so distant future people will either be driving all electric or be in driver less cars.

Driving a manual is a more engaging experience for some people, for others it is a chore. I see both sides, give that a shot.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:09 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
True gear heads know how to drive stick! ;-). Especially those who appreciate classic cars! I know technology is making the manual somewhat obsolete but the automatics today are very different than the old days when many of us had to avoid automatics for performance reasons. Times are changing for sure but anyone who blows off shifting with a clutch is truly missing out!

Old 11-09-2017, 01:15 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
I learned to drive a manual on my brothers motorcycle before I had a license. I've driven mostly manuals, but to the point why should everyone learn to drive something that most people will never see or own? They are disappearing at a fast rate and in the not so distant future people will either be driving all electric or be in driver less cars.

Driving a manual is a more engaging experience for some people, for others it is a chore. I see both sides, give that a shot.
Agree, not everybody need to learn to drive a manual. And sadly, driverless cars are almost here already.

There are many ways to enjoy your car from putting on some music on a high end stereo system and cruising around, to carving the canyons (well, not here in new jersey). To each his own.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:23 PM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I see the point of driving manual and I do miss driving manual. I learned how to drive on a manual Ford Pinto when I was 12. The years have caught up with me and my leg gets stiff and tired specially in stop and go traffic, not to mention a little swollen from time to time. The automatic transmission with the paddle shifter allows me to still have some control to play with the gears and have some fun.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:08 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I love manuals and will never discourage anyone from buying one. However, I will say that the automatic in the MINI JCW is pretty impressive. Not only does it work well on it's own, it is awesome in manual mode. Never thought I would push an automatic, but it really is pretty sweet.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
They are disappearing at a fast rate and in the not so distant future people will either be driving all electric or be in driver less cars.
When I was in High School in the early 60's it was a given that everyone would be zooming around in their very own flying car by the 1980's at the latest. In case it went unnoticed, It Didn't Happen!
Like so many of the "inevitable" advancements, I'll wait until I see it to believe it. But, even in that eventuality, I probably won't give a damn because the amount of time I'll have to put up with it is finite. I'm already 70, but I still drive the heck out of my manual Mini.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE

I am a little younger, and nobody I knew was seriously planning to race George Jetson anytime soon.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Antmax
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an auto so my wife could learn to drive. Kept the MX5 Miata which is manual. My driving completely changed and I drive much more sedately in the mini. The auto is nice but still slightly mushy and doesn't change quite where I expect it to. Sport mode is the closest, the other modes do unexpected things and the gear changes are still a little slow if your used to a short shifter.

The biggest thing with the auto is that engine braking is often a bit mushy and slow to react and you end up using your brakes a lot more in case it throws in an unexpected gear change at the last moment.

Having said all that, I'm relatively new, 3 months in. It took some getting used to the auto and you never quite have as much control. It's also VERY quiet, hard to hear your rpm's properly and hard to guage where you are. MX5 had no surprises, direct braking, throttle and steering, gear stick straight in the gear box between the seats. Mine doesn't even have ABS and is far more balanced and tossable.

It made me realize the difference between a sporty car and a sports car. Auto Mini is still fun, quick. Far quicker than the Mazda but no where near as balanced and doesn't instill as much confidence. Too much interference from the computers trying to anticipate what your doing and catch potential mistakes.

Still, if I didn't have the wife and 3 pugs I probably would have gotten a Lotus Elise. An auto Mini means compromises, but it's still pretty distinctive and offers more fun and comfort than 90% of whats out there. Not just another boring appliance.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
I've decided to stick (no pun intended) to a manual trans.

The following users liked this post:
Antmax (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
And you're getting a new MINI

Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Nothing was mentioned of age and health of you and your family. Because of my family, I have three vehicles and they are 2 auto and 1 manual. The least I've owned at one time was two vehicles, one manual and one auto.

One thing I have learned over the decades, you never know when something will happen. I have been a manual owner since driving, but have been in situations where I could only drive a auto for a short period of time. When my health improved ... back to the manual.

If only manuals, I have limited myself where I need to get help going somewhere or renting a vehicle for sometime to get about. I have been self-sufficient due to my selections of ownership over the decades.

The following users liked this post:
Antmax (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
And you're getting a new MINI

Definitely, but waiting to see refreshed lights first.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
I guess some of us couldn't SHIFT your mind. You came through in the CLUTCH. Think I used up all the intended puns I could think of.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:24 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Lotus Elise = hardcore! :)

Originally Posted by Antmax
Still, if I didn't have the wife and 3 pugs I probably would have gotten a Lotus Elise. An auto Mini means compromises, but it's still pretty distinctive and offers more fun and comfort than 90% of whats out there. Not just another boring appliance.
A friend of mine drove many different cars for service pickup of the owner's car. He once had the opportunity to drive a Lotus and said it was unlike anything he had ever driven, including many Porsches. I would love to drive one.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by signcarver
A friend of mine drove many different cars for service pickup of the owner's car. He once had the opportunity to drive a Lotus and said it was unlike anything he had ever driven, including many Porsches. I would love to drive one.
My brother in law has one. I really want to drive it, but A) he doesn't let anyone drive it and B) he lives in Texas, so I don't see him much. Someday I hope...

Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All of my MINIs have been manual (R53, R60) and now an F55. They've each gotten easier to drive. The F55 is the easiest yet and very smooth. I love it! I always say that I'll never own an automatic. Too pricey to fix, more prone to failure, etc. Glad you've decided to go with a manual. We need more people to push for the manual transmission.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:04 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Thread Revival!

Drove a new (moved from the showroom floor new) clubman JCW with paddle shifters today. My SA did it as a favor as I am scheduled to take the MINI autocross class next week and wanted to try the paddles before I got there. They only use auto JCWs and I have a '15 S JCW tune manual.

What a dog it was!

It will only downshift under 3,500 rpm. Above 3,501 nothing happens. Rev match minimal. Have to look to see what gear you are in. When paddling, as was explained to me by the SA, when shifting gears the gas shuts off and you hear a pop when it resumes. To me, a useless system on a JCW. Skip the paddles, leave it in auto/auto, use the brake and pray as you enter a curve. Way too slow reaction time for me. No wonder they went with large brakes, one needs them, no engine s l o w I n g let alone braking. I have owned autos before (wife's) Jaguar XJS (V12) and a Mazda RX-7 (Wankel). The RX would probably take this JCW with no problem.

My SA (good guy) advised me (that's what they do) to drive the JCW at the track like I stole it. Don't think I will-wouldn't want it. But I do hope to meet up with a JCW auto on some lonely back mountain road some day, soon...