F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Extreme Tire Wear

Old 10-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Extreme Tire Wear

2017 MCS 6 speed
Pirelli P7 Cinturato Run Flat (Not A/S) Rated 260
Miles 9800
Avg MPG: 30
Visited dealer once for air in tires close to purchase during a drop in temperature and once for first service.
RIP

I'll leave it at that

Old 10-24-2017, 07:14 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Explain the tire wear.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
On Friday, stitching was visible a quarter inch in from both front tire's outer sides. Though, the middle tread on both seemed lower than either edge. Not yet slick.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
The rears are completely fine, normal wear.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kazmini
On Friday, stitching was visible a quarter inch in from both front tire's outer sides. Though, the middle tread on both seemed lower than either edge. Not yet slick.
Underinflation, along with hard driving.
Did you keep them at 38lbs?

Old 10-25-2017, 02:57 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Agree ... under inflation. That said, my experience with the run-flat tires has not been good. On my wife's MINI, they were pretty well shot at 12,000 miles and we rotated them regularly.

Now is a good time to look at other options and ditch the run-flats. You'll get much better tire life and a much-improved ride.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
They do need to be rotated -
Need to monitor tire pressure -
Having dealer adjust tire pressure, ok fine but when I get home I put the pressure back to where it should be in all the tires as the dealer seems incapable of such a simple task.

The front wheel drive on the MINI really chews up tires.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Flip front to back and always check and make sure they are inflated to the door sticker specs.

MINIs in general blow through tires. Its the nature of the great handling. I would also have them check the alignment, my car from the factory was off from shipping.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Currently, my tires are being investigated by Pirelli. I am curious if the dealer did any measurements to submit with that claim, so I will ask!

I have a six minute commute to work. I live in South Florida. Only once did my car, back in March, warn me of low tire pressure/unsafe to drive. They were all 32...I went to dealer...a cold snap. I'm about to go out there now during another "cold" snap.

May I ask--I get in the car at 36. I drive for a few minutes and they blow to 38...in those few minutes, you're saying I've killed tires? If that's the case, then why is my car not warning me when the tire pressure drops below the door recommendation? The rears last night were 33 and 34...supposed to be 35. Got home, they didn't even heat up at all... There are tolerances on those sensors, too, aren't there?

Tires are filled with nitrogen. Am I supposed to invest in a tank outside my house with a pump, just to make sure each morning the tires are at the proper pressure? Or, should I empty them and put regular air in, and then buy a mobile pump? My car has less than 200 horsepower, yet it seems I'm about to hire a pit crew.

The rears are now on the front. They already have 10k miles on them, so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to start showing front wheel drive wear, and if they do, is it the same as the old fronts? If so, is there an issue with the car itself?

Lastly, I'm curious to see what Pirelli concludes and recommends, because you can bet for sure I will not put these same tires on. I'd like to test drive the All Seasons because their rating is near double the regular P7!

Big love for Pirelli as they're in my face every weekend during F1 season, but this is quite worrisome on a tire they warranty for 75k miles.

Thanks for all your input. Will keep you updated.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:01 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the stock Pirelli 16" all season run flats. With 3 years and 11,000 miles, I'm still at 7/32 tread wear. I rotated the tires when it had 9000 miles.

I fill my tires with normal air (78% nitrogen) using whatever pump I have. Even bicycle foot-pump works fine. I set it to 40 psi, and not bother about it unless it goes below 35 psi. It can go for 6 months and not lose much air.

The following users liked this post:
Kazmini (10-26-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Stock Pirelli All Seasons on my Clubman S All4 are bagged in my garage after bout 1,000 miles from new on my car. They were already showing a bit of wear and those first miles were easy break-in miles.

6,000 on my Vogues and they look brand new. Ride is superior to the OEM runflats.

As to TPMS. I get differing readings all the time and none of the car's readings ever come close to what a good digital gauge says.

I use 100% nitrogen -- don't know if it matters but that's what the tire store gives me for free. Probably worth exactly what I paid, but maybe it does make a wee bit of difference.

Just about to go in for first front to rear rotation. I run in mid 30's psi on fronts/32 on rears. That's what is spec'd on my door plate, if I recall.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:51 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I was once told that TPMS is really only to alert to a flat or blowout, not really reliable for actual tire pressure data, even though the car does show each tire's psi on the graphics.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:54 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Big love for Pirelli as they're in my face every weekend during F1 season, but this is quite worrisome on a tire they warranty for 75k miles.
I don't think that is true about these tires. According to TireRack, there is no treadlife warranty. They do have a Workmanship & Materials Warranty. That is: Unlimited Time / Free replacement first year or 2/32" wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth.

They are not bad tires, unless you are looking for real performance. Ride quality is decent and wear is OK; however, they fall far short of other tires that cost the same (or less).

Old 10-27-2017, 07:23 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I was once told that TPMS is really only to alert to a flat or blowout, not really reliable for actual tire pressure data, even though the car does show each tire's psi on the graphics.
I believe that! I have a very accurate gauge and after getting the pressures set perfectly then driving the sensors are never the same...usually off by at least a pound or so!

As for the P7’s my 18” summers are stock on my JCW and I can’t complain but I still have only 1,000 miles on the car! They have lost grip only a couple of times when driving very spirited getting to know the car....obviously driving hard and turning will wear out any front tires on a front wheel drive car!

Time will tell how well they do, but for as much as the P7’s cost you can bet I will get my use out of them before going for a non runflat! I have had good luck with Pirelli tires generally but no experience with any runflats.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
I find my TPMS to be pretty consistent and accurate.

What is a "very accurate gauge", brand/model/link ????

I have a few digital as well as an old fashioned dial gauge. The ones that are the most consistent oddly both came from Brookstone's many years ago. The worst one I have is a recent $15 Amazon special that attaches to the air compressor hose for filling. It changes readings constantly. I complained they sent me a free one after I returned the first one. Just plain crap.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I believe that! I have a very accurate gauge and after getting the pressures set perfectly then driving the sensors are never the same...usually off by at least a pound or so!

As for the P7’s my 18” summers are stock on my JCW and I can’t complain but I still have only 1,000 miles on the car! They have lost grip only a couple of times when driving very spirited getting to know the car....obviously driving hard and turning will wear out any front tires on a front wheel drive car!

Time will tell how well they do, but for as much as the P7’s cost you can bet I will get my use out of them before going for a non runflat! I have had good luck with Pirelli tires generally but no experience with any runflats.
Recalibrate your tpms after setting the pressure
Mine are very accurate.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:46 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
As are mine.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:28 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I find my TPMS to be pretty consistent and accurate.

What is a "very accurate gauge", brand/model/link ????

I have a few digital as well as an old fashioned dial gauge. The ones that are the most consistent oddly both came from Brookstone's many years ago. The worst one I have is a recent $15 Amazon special that attaches to the air compressor hose for filling. It changes readings constantly. I complained they sent me a free one after I returned the first one. Just plain crap.
I have a BMW digital gauge accurate to 0.5 psi, and I also have a racing style dial gauge from Griot's Garage where you can over-inflate the tire and bleed off with a bleed button (it cost around $70). I'd say either one is accurate to 0.5 psi, but when I want dead on numbers I always go to the dial.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a BMW digital gauge accurate to 0.5 psi, and I also have a racing style dial gauge from Griot's Garage where you can over-inflate the tire and bleed off with a bleed button (it cost around $70). I'd say either one is accurate to 0.5 psi, but when I want dead on numbers I always go to the dial.
How do the TPMS readings accuracy compare to those on the BMW and Griot's gauges?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:48 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have a dial gauge that my buddy calibrated for me. He calibrates precision measuring instruments for the NRC. I also have a Craftsman digital that is very accurate compared to the dial gauge. My TPMS is usual ~1-2 pounds of the gauge reading.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Conrad_Thomaier
How do the TPMS readings accuracy compare to those on the BMW and Griot's gauges?
As you know it’s hard to compare because tire inflation should be with cold tires & tpms only works after driving for awhile. All I know is after inflating to spec then driving the tpms is close but never spot on like the recent inflation pressures. They can’t be that accurate but sufficient to alert the driver to low pressure. That’s really all they are good for imo.

Conrad_Thomaier (10-29-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I keep mine at 40psi and rotate about every 7k. My original Dunlap RFs only lasted about 16k despite that. My current set has 17k on them and isn't even close to halfway yet. The tires that come on Minis are for s*#t.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
As you know it’s hard to compare because tire inflation should be with cold tires & tpms only works after driving for awhile. All I know is after inflating to spec then driving the tpms is close but never spot on like the recent inflation pressures. They can’t be that accurate but sufficient to alert the driver to low pressure. That’s really all they are good for imo.
In the interest of science.

Tested the TPMS this morning, on my F56 it registers within a 1/4 mile and was spot on with my hand held gauges. Tires don't warm much in 1/4 mile.

After parking out in the sun, the sun side of the car had both tires about .5 lbs higher than the shaded side.

Conrad_Thomaier (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
In the interest of science.

Tested the TPMS this morning, on my F56 it registers within a 1/4 mile and was spot on with my hand held gauges. Tires don't warm much in 1/4 mile.

After parking out in the sun, the sun side of the car had both tires about .5 lbs higher than the shaded side.
Interesting! I will have to try that sometime. My experience with tpms is that across the car from side to side after inflation to spec is the tpms readings never are the same regardless of the inflation by gauge being spot on.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Geektb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any news from Pirelli on this? I have a 2015 F56 with 8900 miles. Car came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Run Flats. Last week my dealer said that my front tire are at 4/32" and need to be replaced. Rear are just fine at 8/32". Pirelli is telling me that because the tires came with the car they carry no warranty at all.

Search this Thread