F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 key fob puzzling mystery lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 AM
kimimini
1st Gear
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
F56 key fob puzzling mystery lost

I have a 16 F56 Cooper S.

Last night I lost my primary key fob (never lost a car key before). I accidentally drove away with the key fob on top on the roof. Yes the car starts with the keys on top of the roof, unfortunately.

I realized I lost the key fob when I got home, turned off the car and tried to restart it to go run an errand. It would not start and asked me to connect the fob to the right side of the steering column.

I looked everywhere before realizing I had left it on the roof.

Now, you can't lock your car with the button on the door handle (I have comfort access) while the key fob is in the car . That's a great feature!

Unfortunately, the car also thinks the key fob is in the car even when it's on the roof. How do I know that ? You can't lock or unlock your car by pressing the button on the door handle while the key fob is on the roof. Tried it.

The key fob's proximity sensor/detection is so great that someone could be standing at one door with the key fob and you won't be able to unlock the door on the other side. Tried it.

If the car obviously knows when the fob is in the car, did it not know when the fob fell of the roof?

When the car is not running and the key fob is not in proximity or can't be connected to or detected, the car definitely know and asks you to touch the right side of the steering column with the key fob. However once the car is runnng you can walk away with the fob and the car will still be running with no warming either visual or audible. Tried it too. It will honk if you try to lock it while being outside of the car and the engine is still running but that's it.

The car had to had detected that the key fob was no longer in proximity after falling off the roof while driving for at least 10 miles. But did not warn me in anyway. That puzzles me.

Now I'm out a key fob, as I couldn't find it anywhere near where I was parked or on the road.

I'm not blaming anything on Mini or BMW as I should have never forgot about it on the roof, it's just puzzling.

As much as it is dumb to do so specially when turning on or off your car only requires a push of a toggle, does it mean someone can drive away with your car as long as the engine is running even when you have the key fob in your pocket?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:54 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by kimimini
does it mean someone can drive away with your car as long as the engine is running
Yes. The immobilizer system only prevents the engine from starting without a key. Once the engine is started, the immobilizer is no longer involved.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Comfort access=a convenient new way to lose your keys. Sorry that happened to you. It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to build into the system a warning that the key is no longer in proximity. It's good that the car doesn't shut off without the key but it should warn you. Maybe a P-Touch label with your name and number on the key would be a good idea so if somebody finds it they can contact you.

A Nissan Versa will do the same thing, I found out when my ex-brother in law got on a ferry (we live in Seattle) with the key in his pocket after we dropped him off (it was his car). I think the Versa did warn us that the key was no longer in proximity but it did keep running. We had a bunch of errands to do and had to take turns sitting in the car- we didn't dare shut it off!

Old 10-15-2016, 02:05 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by valvashon
Comfort access=a convenient new way to lose your keys. Sorry that happened to you. It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to build into the system a warning that the key is no longer in proximity. It's good that the car doesn't shut off without the key but it should warn you. Maybe a P-Touch label with your name and number on the key would be a good idea so if somebody finds it they can contact you.

A Nissan Versa will do the same thing, I found out when my ex-brother in law got on a ferry (we live in Seattle) with the key in his pocket after we dropped him off (it was his car). I think the Versa did warn us that the key was no longer in proximity but it did keep running. We had a bunch of errands to do and had to take turns sitting in the car- we didn't dare shut it off!
There IS a warning. Start the car and sit in it. Give someone the key and have them walk away from the car. You will get a visual and audible warning. You need to get about 10 or so feet away from the car.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 PM
kimimini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
There IS a warning. Start the car and sit in it. Give someone the key and have them walk away from the car. You will get a visual and audible warning. You need to get about 10 or so feet away from the car.
May be on yours. Walked 20 feet still nothing.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
May be on yours. Walked 20 feet still nothing.
This is my third MINI with comfort access, and there is always an alert. It's not a "maybe on yours" situation. Regardless, I'd like to know what happened to personal responsibilitly.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 AM
kimimini
1st Gear
This is my third MINI with comfort access, and there is always an alert. It's not a "maybe on yours" situation. Regardless, I'd like to know what happened to personal responsibilitly.
Alright one of those replies!

Let me check:

1- it happened to me and after your first post, I even went out and checked again past your 10ft. Still no Bueno!

2- it has never happened to you, therefore it can never happened to anyone else! Got it!

3-
Regardless, I'd like to know what happened to personal responsibilitly.
Good question! I myself wonder what happened to reading.

I'm not blaming anything on Mini or BMW as I should have never forgot about it on the roof, it's just puzzling.
Thanks!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I recently researched buying a new fob as the used MINI I bought had only one, until they looked for two minutes and found the other one. Mini parts of Massachusetts seemed to have the best price, just need to send them paperwork proof,etc. local dealer sucked in response to my questions.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:36 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was thinking, how could you find the other fob?

Tow your Mini on a flat-bed and wait for the doors to unlock?

There's a recent thread where someone found a fob and it was reunited with the owner through the dealer network. Here, hoping for you.

Don't mind the jerks.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:31 PM
kimimini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I recently researched buying a new fob as the used MINI I bought had only one, until they looked for two minutes and found the other one. Mini parts of Massachusetts seemed to have the best price, just need to send them paperwork proof,etc. local dealer sucked in response to my questions.
I'll look into it! Thanks! Appreciated!

Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 PM
kimimini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
I was thinking, how could you find the other fob?

Tow your Mini on a flat-bed and wait for the doors to unlock?

There's a recent thread where someone found a fob and it was reunited with the owner through the dealer network. Here, hoping for you.

Don't mind the jerks.
You're right it may turn up one day! Thanks for the positive input! Appreciated!