F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Tune question

I thought I read that if you do the JCW Tune Mini registers your car as a JCW. I cannot find where I read this. Does anyone know anything about this? Or am I just making stuff up in my sleep?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
My Service Manager told me that when the kit is installed the car is registered w/ MINI/BMW as a JCW. Now I realize it's not a true JCW w/ suspension etc., but just repeating what I was told (and he has always been straight with me on everything relating to my MINI). Supposing when they enter the VIN number it comes back with a JCW designation or something like that.

Last edited by USA-RET; 05-01-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
MINI (BMW) might keep track of dealer installed JCW kits, but having one installed doesn't make the car a JCW model.

VIN characters 4-6 distinguish one model from the other.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
My Service Manager told me that when the kit is installed the car is registered w/ MINI/BMW as a JCW. Now I realize it's not a true JCW w/ suspension etc., but just repeating what I was told (and he has always been straight with me on everything relating to my MINI). Supposing when they enter the VIN number it comes back with a JCW designation or something like that.
O.K. I think you were the one who posted it.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
MINI (BMW) might keep track of dealer installed JCW kits, but having one installed doesn't make the car a JCW model.

VIN characters 4-6 distinguish one model from the other.
Exactly.

Car w/ kit is likely registered as a JCW tuned car and not a stock "S".

Old 05-01-2016, 11:23 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I believe when the VIN is called up, it shows the tuning kit under list of options, but the model still reads "Cooper S"

Old 05-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I believe when the VIN is called up, it shows the tuning kit under list of options, but the model still reads "Cooper S"
This is correct. It shows up under installed options, just like everything else. This is how they have done it since 2003.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
So if a guy did the JCW tune, would it be in bad taste to put JCW badging on the car? What about JCW stripes and accessories and whatnot?

Old 05-19-2016, 04:19 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
So if a guy did the JCW tune, would it be in bad taste to put JCW badging on the car? What about JCW stripes and accessories and whatnot?
The JCW Tuning Kit comes with JCW badges for the rear of the car and the engine cover. You can have the JCW interior or exterior package without the tune.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:20 AM
_ynot
1st Gear
When I had the tune done, I specifically told them not to put the badging on. They put the sticker on the motor, but nothing on the outside of the car.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
When you get the JCW tune from a dealer, does it consist of an ECU upgrade with more boost (sorta like the NM and Burger units), or do they also change the turbocharger like the factory JCW?

Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
It's a personal choice and you'll find opinions will vary. I added the hood stripes, grille, blind ring and side marker lights to mine. Also had the brake ducts painted Chili red.

Ordered my car with the JCW interior, mirror cap, scuttles, rear view mirror cover and floor mats.

If I had to do it over again I'd have just ordered a JCW (new one will be), Money was not an object at the time of purchase, just didn't see the need for a JCW when we ordered ours. Now that I have it and see how much fun it is to drive and customize, I'm sorry I didn't go JCW from the "git go".

It actually came down to the exterior JCW fascia that steered me to the "S". Like the MCS better at the time (now my opinion has changed).

Left the "S" badging on the back of the car. The JCW stuff looks nicer to me and it's my car.

Side note FWIW:

Surprisingly if you compare actual dyno numbers between an MCS w/ a JCW tune kit and a real JCW, you'll find the torque numbers are actually better with the MCS tuned car than the JCW and the torque is across the power band and not just above 4K RPM. This actually translates to better performance in normal driving conditions (stop light to stop light runs and around town scooting. Car will pull harder with more torque and less HP than the other way around.

Next car will be a JCW (too bad it doesn't come with the JCW tune exhaust) and an NM power module. Or maybe an M2.

Personally I've grown past caring what other people think of my choices. When they start paying for them, that's when I'll start listening.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:22 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
When you get the JCW tune from a dealer, does it consist of an ECU upgrade with more boost (sorta like the NM and Burger units), or do they also change the turbocharger like the factory JCW?
This

Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes they load the software and in there system is register the car has been flashed for future reference.

Here is what it looks like and all the hardware. 11122359631

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-prices-8.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
It's a personal choice and you'll find opinions will vary. I added the hood stripes, grille, blind ring and side marker lights to mine. Also had the brake ducts painted Chili red.

Ordered my car with the JCW interior, mirror cap, scuttles, rear view mirror cover and floor mats.

If I had to do it over again I'd have just ordered a JCW (new one will be), Money was not an object at the time of purchase, just didn't see the need for a JCW when we ordered ours. Now that I have it and see how much fun it is to drive and customize, I'm sorry I didn't go JCW from the "git go".

It actually came down to the exterior JCW fascia that steered me to the "S". Like the MCS better at the time (now my opinion has changed).

Left the "S" badging on the back of the car. The JCW stuff looks nicer to me and it's my car.

Side note FWIW:

Surprisingly if you compare actual dyno numbers between an MCS w/ a JCW tune kit and a real JCW, you'll find the torque numbers are actually better with the MCS tuned car than the JCW and the torque is across the power band and not just above 4K RPM. This actually translates to better performance in normal driving conditions (stop light to stop light runs and around town scooting. Car will pull harder with more torque and less HP than the other way around.

Next car will be a JCW (too bad it doesn't come with the JCW tune exhaust) and an NM power module. Or maybe an M2.

Personally I've grown past caring what other people think of my choices. When they start paying for them, that's when I'll start listening.
So don't take this as an insult, because I think your car looks awesome, but I was thinking of you in particular when I asked, I just didn't want to call you out although maybe now I have
I am kinda in the same boat as you. Ive speced out a new JCW and the way I would do it is 2,000$ more than what I paid for mine. If I did the things to mine I want to "make it" a JCW it would be more than 2 grand.
The torque numbers are interesting though. Basically the JCW is a street driven race tuned car while the S with a JCW tune is a hotrodded street car. Sounds like it would be a better car on the streets.
my oh my. JCW tune, JCW wing, JCW mirrors, JCW stripes, JCW brakes?, NM wheels. Well, I guess I may as well start getting to it.
Anyone wanna donate to a go fund me to give me a hand?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:55 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
So don't take this as an insult, because I think your car looks awesome, but I was thinking of you in particular when I asked, I just didn't want to call you out although maybe now I have
I am kinda in the same boat as you. Ive speced out a new JCW and the way I would do it is 2,000$ more than what I paid for mine. If I did the things to mine I want to "make it" a JCW it would be more than 2 grand.
The torque numbers are interesting though. Basically the JCW is a street driven race tuned car while the S with a JCW tune is a hotrodded street car. Sounds like it would be a better car on the streets.
my oh my. JCW tune, JCW wing, JCW mirrors, JCW stripes, JCW brakes?, NM wheels. Well, I guess I may as well start getting to it.
No problem. Opinions are like Camaros, everyone has one.

The spec on the JCW I was looking at was close to $40K while the S was right at $32-$33 (can't recall now and too lazy to dig out paperwork). It wasn't about the cost. I didn't want all the extra suspension, brakes etc. If I could have cherry picked a JCW w/o all that stuff (even if it didn't reduce the cost of the car), I would have bought the JCW for the motor some of the appearance (deleting the spoiler).

I wanted the appearance and performance (scoot-abiliy) on the street and not anything having to do with firmer ride or track performance. That was why I opted for the DDC on my car (and I will again with my next car (JCW) ILO the standard sport suspension.

I thought about getting the JCW exterior package also at the time, but comparing them on two cars they had on the lot, I really liked the MCS fascia better. The spoiler looked kinda tacky to me also. Thought the straight roof looked cleaner (again, since owning this one I have changed my position on the JCW design as an entire package) although still not a huge fan of the spoiler. ,

I actually had second thoughts about adding the JCW tune on my car. I did a test drive on an MCS with the tune kit our dealer had and was impressed with the performance. But the car I was testing had the paddle shifter auto and I was wondering if I was sensing the more robust gearing of that transmission compared to mine. Additionally I'd read where guys said they hardly noticed a difference in performance after adding the JCW Tune.

Glad I did, huge performance boost especially with the the strong torque numbers from low in the RPM range.

My next MINI will be a JCW and as I have it configured will price out at about $42500. I'm actually lamenting losing the torque I'm getting with this car when I trade up. So I may add an NM power module.

I'm not running one now as I'm more than happy with the performance I'm getting blasting from stop light to stop light. Maybe I will be happy with the JCW as completely stock, But like my Svc Mgr said, nothing is a substitute for torque for get up and go.

My JCW tune was about $2300 installed (mirror cover and scuttle are additional on the S or the JCW. My stripes were black with white. Had a decal guy run red stripes over the white ones for $20. Replaced the S grille with the JCW grille since it was broken when the dealer tried to remove the chrome cross piece for chili red paint. Wheels are Enki 15lbers. and Conti DW summers. I'd replace the wheels on a JCW when I buy one anyway.

Half the fun of owning a MINI is personalizing it (even if everyone doesn't agree with your choices).

Old 05-20-2016, 05:00 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Gravity's holding you down... what's holding you back?
Jump in with both feet. You'll be able to enjoy the upgrades sooner and for longer. I was gonna piecemeal mine over a couple of years like I did my R56, but decided to bite the bullet and get it done ASAP. Now as soon as I get my splitter and have a little cosmetic work done I'll be pretty much through. 6 months vs 2+ years on my R56, and I wasn't finished with that one when I traded it. Can't help with the funding though. Heck, I'm broke now!
The only downside to getting the work done in a short period of time.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Alright........ You guys have me convinced.
Now all I have to do is get the funds. Thats what will be holding me back. It will take me time to allocate those funds.
Oh, USA-RET I have the DDC too. Great suspension system for the real world. I love it and would recommend it to anyone. In fact I should put that into my sig line.

Last edited by Blues Trucker; 05-20-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
RegieB
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If MINI offered just the tune with no hardware, it would be a lot cheaper and people would be just getting that and some will get custom exhaust from other manufacturers. I would just get the tune.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:54 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RegieB
If MINI offered just the tune with no hardware, it would be a lot cheaper and people would be just getting that and some will get custom exhaust from other manufacturers. I would just get the tune.
There are factory JCW owners who purchased the JCW Tuning Kit exhaust and are selling their software tune codes since they can't use them on their cars... There is one guy right now on Facebook selling his for $600...

Search for listing "F56 JCW TUNING KIT" by "Chris Gerber" on the "MINI Parts Buy, Sell, Trade" group... Post was from May 19th...

Old 05-23-2016, 03:09 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
There are factory JCW owners who purchased the JCW Tuning Kit exhaust and are selling their software tune codes since they can't use them on their cars... There is one guy right now on Facebook selling his for $600...

Search for listing "F56 JCW TUNING KIT" by "Chris Gerber" on the "MINI Parts Buy, Sell, Trade" group... Post was from May 19th...
That's a pretty tempting deal, although, I wonder what that would do the engine warranty?

Since the tune is not a part of the entire kit purchase through MINI. Rather like going to an aftermarket tuner that does a performance flash to the existing ECM.

I asked my Svc mgr before I bought the kit if I could just get the flash, and the answer was a "No". Certainly when they put the car on the computer the ECM change will show up.

I would consider this if my car was out of warranty, and then would likely research more aggressive ECM options available elsewhere.

The great thing about the entire JCW tune kit through MINI, you get a big performance boost, excellent exhaust sounds and full factory warranty coverage. For $2200 (deals available), that's not too bad. IMO.

If you just want a boost in performance for "cheap" get a NM power module or a Berger for $400. You can take off and put on as necessary w/ no record whencar is put on the dealer's computer.

Ultimate is to do like Pedro and spring for the JCW Tune kit and then add the NM power module. Just check his dyno numbers to confirm the increases vs. base or ever a JCW car.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Actually you can install the tune alone. It's still a factory tune with a Mini access code to install the tune. The dealer will not "Sell" a tune only because he has to buy it as a complete kit. There are any number of people out there who have installed the kit exhaust on their JCW, but are unable to use the tune. No reason for it to effect your warranty because it is a Mini part.
The guy Pedro mentioned happens to be my independent Mini tech.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Actually you can install the tune alone. It's still a factory tune with a Mini access code to install the tune. The dealer will not "Sell" a tune only because he has to buy it as a complete kit. There are any number of people out there who have installed the kit exhaust on their JCW, but are unable to use the tune. No reason for it to effect your warranty because it is a Mini part.
The guy Pedro mentioned happens to be my independent Mini tech.
If that's the case, then for the extra power and full warranty coverage on the engine, $600 seems like a deal to me.

Only question would be who will do the "flash"?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If that's the case, then for the extra power and full warranty coverage on the engine, $600 seems like a deal to me.

Only question would be who will do the "flash"?
I believe you would provide the software license key to your dealer and they would be able to then load it in your car...

Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will the stock MCS tips fit on the kit?

Quick Reply: F55/F56 JCW Tune question