F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea i have seen people with stock tips on the JCW tuning kit.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
If that's the case, then for the extra power and full warranty coverage on the engine, $600 seems like a deal to me.

Only question would be who will do the "flash"?
That sounds like a REALLY good deal to me too. It's almost as cheap as the NM and Burger clip-on units and probably better.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Mike r56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea i have seen people with stock tips on the JCW tuning kit.
I've been told the carbon tips won't fit the stock system but you say you've seen stock tips on the this?
Maybe you know more than my dealer.
Do carbon tips fit the stock JCW exhaust?
Thanks

Old 06-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
That sounds like a REALLY good deal to me too. It's almost as cheap as the NM and Burger clip-on units and probably better.
I would do both. Bring on the torque steer!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Camyman
I would do both. Bring on the torque steer!

Seriously considering adding an NM to mine.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 AM
_ynot
1st Gear
Seriously considering adding an NM to mine.
I ordered the NM from ECS yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I already have the the JCW pro tune on my MCS. I will, like others, report back what I think of the two combined. I do think my next purchase will be tires.....

Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 AM
richb22
Neutral
I added the NM box to my mini after installing the JCW exhaust and tune. After experimenting around a bit, I removed the wiring harness from the control unit while leaving the valve open. This eliminated the need for the blue tooth control, which I now leave in the glove box. Now the car sounds great right at the start, has plenty of power around town in mid mode, and is just a simple switch away from sports mode to tighten up the suspension and to really get things popping.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by _ynot
I ordered the NM from ECS yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I already have the the JCW pro tune on my MCS. I will, like others, report back what I think of the two combined. I do think my next purchase will be tires.....
You will really notice the difference after you put 20-30 miles on the car after installation. Takes the ECU a little while to "learn" it's new parameters. But, trust me, you're gonna love it!

Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 PM
jlb
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok guys, I have been trying to convince myself on pulling the trigger on this kit. I have the 6 Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddle Shifters and the NM Power Module. I am happy with the results of the NM Power Module. Per MINIUSA, the auto JCW does 0-60 in 5.9 sec. and the S in 6.4 sec. Looking at Pedro's (mct) dyno numbers, an S with the JCW Tuning Kit and NM Power module provides and additional 47.57 whp and 38.38 lbs-ft. over the stock S... So do you think that this configuration will give you a 0-60 below 5.9 sec, say 5.7 sec?

Old 06-10-2016, 03:37 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am trying to justify also but at $2500 it is a hard pill to swallow. I have only driven a manual S with the kit so hard to compare apples to apples. I probably should have done it at the port but I was tired of waiting and didn’t want to delay it any longer. And thinking $32 more a month seemed crazy for different exhaust and a slight tune. Now, I don't know I think I might do a nm or a burger for now.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 PM
jlb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by heavyJ
I am trying to justify also but at $2500 it is a hard pill to swallow. I have only driven a manual S with the kit so hard to compare apples to apples. I probably should have done it at the port but I was tired of waiting and didn’t want to delay it any longer. And thinking $32 more a month seemed crazy for different exhaust and a slight tune. Now, I don't know I think I might do a nm or a burger for now.
Right. $379 for +23hp/+23lbs-ft is a no brainier. To spend $2K plus to double that... I don't know. I will say that the exhaust does sound awesome when the flap is open. Decisions Decisions... AWE touring sounds good in the videos that I have seen.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
You will really notice the difference after you put 20-30 miles on the car after installation. Takes the ECU a little while to "learn" it's new parameters. But, trust me, you're gonna love it!
Received and installed NM today
Oh WOW! Took the wife for a ride, she called it "crazy fast". Had some guy in a veloster try to get infront of us from a stop light, hahaha. Tires are going to have to be next, those run flats just spin way to easy.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:02 PM
vetsvette
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Received and installed NM today
Oh WOW! Took the wife for a ride, she called it "crazy fast". Had some guy in a veloster try to get infront of us from a stop light, hahaha. Tires are going to have to be next, those run flats just spin way to easy.
This is probably the best news I have ever read!!! I am so excited to get mine ordered!

19" wheels on my clubby, tires are gonna get roasted.... Good thing I get a discount!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jlb
Per MINIUSA, the auto JCW does 0-60 in 5.9 sec. and the S in 6.4 sec. Looking at Pedro's (mct) dyno numbers, an S with the JCW Tuning Kit and NM Power module provides and additional 47.57 whp and 38.38 lbs-ft. over the stock S... So do you think that this configuration will give you a 0-60 below 5.9 sec, say 5.7 sec?
Next time I am at a rest stop, I will activate DashCommand which can measure 0-60mph times and see how long it takes me to get up to speed onto the highway.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:57 AM
jlb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Next time I am at a rest stop, I will activate DashCommand which can measure 0-60mph times and see how long it takes me to get up to speed onto the highway.
Thanks Pedro.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by jlb
Ok guys, I have been trying to convince myself on pulling the trigger on this kit. I have the 6 Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with Paddle Shifters and the NM Power Module. I am happy with the results of the NM Power Module. Per MINIUSA, the auto JCW does 0-60 in 5.9 sec. and the S in 6.4 sec. Looking at Pedro's (mct) dyno numbers, an S with the JCW Tuning Kit and NM Power module provides and additional 47.57 whp and 38.38 lbs-ft. over the stock S... So do you think that this configuration will give you a 0-60 below 5.9 sec, say 5.7 sec?
Compare his numbers to the JCW.
2016 Factory JCW:

Wheel Horsepower: 220.33 whp
Wheel Torque: 219.66 ft-lbs

The JCW Tune kit alone gives better Torque numbers than the stock JCW across the RPM range.

Wheel Horsepower: 206.53 whp
Wheel Torque: 236.99 ft-lbs

Torque is what drives the car more than HP (the reason electrics are so much quicker than gas).

To get the

Wheel Horsepower: 237.29 whp
Wheel Torque: 268.74 ft-lbs

You'll need the JCW Tune kit and the NM module. Both effectively double the others gains by themselves.

The appeal of the JCW tune kit (while being the more expensive option) is that it's a Mini authorized part and as such is fully warrantied. You also get the BT exhaust. I have the non-sport auto but run mine in the left hand positon to get the more aggressive shifts.

You can further increase your car's performance by swapping out the stock wheels and tires for a lighter set. I saved 8 lbs per corner with my wheel and tire swap (32lbs of un-sprung rotational weight). This savings effectively gives me another 11 lb ft of Torque at the wheels and 10 more WHP. Even though my motor isn't making more torque or HP, this weight reduction allows more of that torque and HP to reach my rear wheels.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ls-on-whp.html

I've been on the fence about adding the NM as my car w/ the JCW tune performs so well without one. Although the idea of getting that additional torque does have me salivating.

To your question, I'd bet the MCS with the JCW Tune or the NM could push close (but not beating) the stock JCW 0-60 times (remember torque plays the biggest part in getting a car moving). With both the Tune and the module, the MCS should be much quicker 0-60.

Again, this is just a guess, but if Dyno numbers are accurate on the cars tested, it should hold true in practical 0-60 application.

I debated buying the JCW tune due to the price, but am not the least bit sorry I did for the performance gains I've gotten. If I decide to the add the NM module, I'll be getting another big boost in performance that can be dialed back at any time to a performance level comparable to an NM equipped car rather than a stock MCS.

I believe Pedro was going to run a dyno on his car with the exhaust baffle closed to see how much of a hit the performance takes closed vs. open.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:23 AM
vetsvette
I've been on the fence about adding the NM as my car w/ the JCW tune performs so well without one. Although the idea of getting that additional torque does have me salivating.

I believe Pedro was going to run a dyno on his car with the exhaust baffle closed to see how much of a hit the performance takes closed vs. open.
Go ahead Dennis, you know you want it!
Talk to Gary in sales about your Military discount. And, they have free shipping.

http://www.nm-eng.com/338/0/0/3128/n...er-module.html

KYDan dyno'd his JCW with the flap open and closed. Open resulted in 9-10 more HP IIRC. He has the NM also. I would hazard a guess that ours would be close to those numbers. If I ever get a chance I want to dyno mine and see what kind of numbers I'm getting with the JCW tune, NM module, and Helix I/C.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:39 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
In an effort to dispel some myths and what has been posted in this thread, I will make some corrections.

1) A dealer installed JCW kit for 1st and 2nd Gen is not registered with MINI in such a way that when running the VIN it's shows it as a JCW. It is not registered with BMW as a JCW, nor will it come up in the film ( ETK ) as a JCW when looking up parts for the car by VIN as it does for the Factory JCW.

2) When you purchase a JCW kit from the dealer, front and rear badging is part of the kit and installed on front grille and boot after installation.

3) Every MINI equipped with a JCW kit, either from factory or by the dealer will have the JCW "Tuning Plaque" on the engine's valve cover....

4) While it is "possible" to load the JCW tune software into a Supercharged 1st Gen MINI, it is not something that can be done for the 2nd Gen w/o purchasing the entire kit.....

Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 AM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
In an effort to dispel some myths and what has been posted in this thread, I will make some corrections.

1) A dealer installed JCW kit for 1st and 2nd Gen is not registered with MINI in such a way that when running the VIN it's shows it as a JCW. It is not registered with BMW as a JCW, nor will it come up in the film ( ETK ) as a JCW when looking up parts for the car by VIN as it does for the Factory JCW.

2) When you purchase a JCW kit from the dealer, front and rear badging is part of the kit and installed on front grille and boot after installation.

3) Every MINI equipped with a JCW kit, either from factory or by the dealer will have the JCW "Tuning Plaque" on the engine's valve cover....

4) While it is "possible" to load the JCW tune software into a Supercharged 1st Gen MINI, it is not something that can be done for the 2nd Gen w/o purchasing the entire kit.....

Hope this helps.
While your input is always appreciated GR...

(1) 3rd Gen cars with JCW Tuning Kit and/or JCW Sport Brake (BBK) kit installed will show up as options installed when the key is read. Otherwise when they do a software update the BMW program would write over the tuning kit and BBK software upgrades.

(2) 3rd Gen JCW tuning kits come with the JCW badge for the boot only. The grill emblem is molded into the grill. If you want the front badge you have to purchase the grill.

(3) Agree with you on this, although on the 3rd Gen it's placed on the engine cover vs the valve cover.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:09 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Thanks! was specifically responding to these posts:

Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
I thought I read that if you do the JCW Tune Mini registers your car as a JCW. I cannot find where I read this. Does anyone know anything about this? Or am I just making stuff up in my sleep?
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I believe when the VIN is called up, it shows the tuning kit under list of options, but the model still reads "Cooper S"
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
So if a guy did the JCW tune, would it be in bad taste to put JCW badging on the car? What about JCW stripes and accessories and whatnot?
My Service Manager told me that when the kit is installed the car is registered w/ MINI/BMW as a JCW. Now I realize it's not a true JCW w/ suspension etc., but just repeating what I was told (and he has always been straight with me on everything relating to my MINI). Supposing when they enter the VIN number it comes back with a JCW designation or something like that.
The latter being a case of "winging it"...." Best answer for that manager would have been to say: " gee, I'm not sure, let me find out for you !?"....I see this sorta stuff more and more lately on the forums and just wish both service advisors and managers wouldn't back themselves into a corner like that.

While "some" data comes up in key port at service desk, the rest is burned into the DME only detectable when wired to BMW programing station.

However as some thought, when manually searching a VIN thru BMW/MINI, it will not show.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:19 AM
vetsvette
Old 06-11-2016, 12:48 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Good feedback guys!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:56 AM
jlb
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for the responses. Not sure if I like you guys right now or not. Haha... I went to the cleaners during lunch hr, which happens to be down the street from the MINI dealer. On the way back I decided to stop and inquire once again about the price and install. Well, I came home in a loaner. It should be ready by tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:11 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thanks for the order

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: F55/F56 JCW Tune question