North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 2016 F56 base: sport suspension and EDLC? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/302034-2016-f56-base-sport-suspension-and-edlc.html)

hsautocrosser 04-25-2016 05:44 PM

2016 F56 base: sport suspension and EDLC?

Performance Control:
"Perfect for aggressive driving, a MINI allow drivers to adjust driving dynamics to grant more responsibility to the pilot. And in the event the situation turns dramatic, the Electronic Differential Lock Control will kick in to help maintain acceleration."

How does this differ from the sport button and the $250 DTC option on the R56? I mean, other than this:

"If you add this part, the part below will also be ADDED to your MINI.

JCW Exterior Package
$3,250"

And is this the reported as discontinued sport suspension reappearing as a package item?

"If you love the sporty look of the John Cooper Works line, but don't need the extra horsepower, the John Cooper Works Exterior Package is just what you need. It even includes a no-cost sports suspension option for a more John Cooper Works-like ride."

And whatever suspension it might actually be, why isn't it listed below?

"This Package Includes
White Turn Signals
Spoiler
JCW Aero Kit
Performance Control
17" Black JCW Track Spoke Wheels
Chili Red"

Really? I have to buy $2500 worth of "sporty looks" I don't want in order to get $500 worth of sport suspension (maybe) and $250 worth of EDLC?

Base MINI Clubman is $3000 for the required JCW exterior kit with no sport suspension mentioned.

I'm considering options for this fall when my lease expires. The base F56 lasted all of ten minutes as the cheap option. The Clubman S ALL4 is barely hanging on pending the actual appearance of the car. VW is promising some hope with the return of 4motion to the 2017 US Golf Sport Wagen. If only the Passat Estate 4motion were to also appear...

ASKtheteach 04-25-2016 07:02 PM

It's a non-S, not a "base".

hsautocrosser 04-25-2016 09:05 PM

And your authority on that ex cathedra statement would be what?

ASKtheteach 04-26-2016 05:11 AM

Recognized fact

hsautocrosser 04-26-2016 08:11 AM

I suspect "Justa" wins the popularity of use contest.

TheBigNewt 04-26-2016 09:37 AM

The JCW exterior package money is 90% for the body kit. If what you really want is a little suspension upgrade (and not the adjustable dampers) just add a 19mm solid (or 25mm hollow) rear anti sway bar from a 3rd party Mini shop. Because that's basically what the "factory" sport suspension consists of. I'm surprised it isn't an option still on the F56 MCS/Justa. I had a sway bar put on my 2007 R56 for $300 and it improved the handling right away. Way Motor Works. $200 for bar $100 labor.

vetsvette 04-26-2016 10:56 AM

Sport suspension has different shocks, springs, and sway bar. As far as bang for the buck, I would recommend the NM Engineering 22mm rear sway bar.

hsautocrosser 04-26-2016 11:12 AM

Big Newt has been repeating that aftermarket supplier lie for some time. The shocks and springs had different part numbers and weren't the same on either of my gen2 MINIs. The sport suspensions are beautifully balanced and only cost $500. I'm not big on the wastefulness of replacing new factory parts which I'm sure can still be done with the sport suspension since it was originally offered on the F56.

OTOH the JCW suspension was an option on the R59 which some people paid for up front and never got because it was later determined that the demand was insufficient to develop it.

TheBigNewt 04-26-2016 11:33 AM

I know they have different part number. But you can measure the sway bar thickness, and it's thicker than stock, front and rear actually. It's a good deal for $500, I have one now on my R58. Pardon me for being skeptical about BMW putting upgraded bars AND coilovers on a car for $500. The charged a helluva lot more than that for the factory JCW suspension on the R56. Why? It was lowered too. You're lucky to get white turn signals for $500 lol.

hsautocrosser 04-26-2016 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 4201525)
I know they have different part number. But you can measure the sway bar thickness, and it's thicker than stock, front and rear actually. It's a good deal for $500, I have one now on my R58. Pardon me for being skeptical about BMW putting upgraded bars AND coilovers on a car for $500. The charged a helluva lot more than that for the factory JCW suspension on the R56. Why? It was lowered too. You're lucky to get white turn signals for $500 lol.

I don't mind you being skeptical. I mind you stating false facts. You retracted them once and then started repeating them again. If you would autocross a stock suspension with bigger bar vs a sport suspension you would have all the proof you need.

The R56 JCW suspension was not factory installed. You were paying for an additional suspension and the additional port or dealer labor to remove the stock suspension and install the JCW. You can't replace a worn out stock suspension with a new one for $500 either, but $500 can easily cover the added logistics work and wholesale parts price increases in merely installing different bars, shocks, and springs during assembly if done in sufficient volume.

TheBigNewt 04-26-2016 03:44 PM

How come my SS ain't no lower if I got the good springs? The JCW suspension's lower.

hsautocrosser 04-28-2016 07:59 AM

Where were the sport springs ever promoted as lowering springs? They're stiffer. The ride difference is readily detectable on any less than smooth road.

TheBigNewt 04-28-2016 08:44 AM

Well maybe, I can't compare because I never had a SS on my R56, just a sway bar. But the dealer installed JCW suspension on the G2 cars did lower it by about 1/2" I pretty sure.

hsautocrosser 04-28-2016 10:00 AM

Yes, I believe the JCW suspension did lower the car and was stiffer yet. After it was allowed in stock Solo2 classes, the fully prepped cars used one JCW bar and the springs. The rest was allowed to be aftermarket. Double adjustable custom-valved shocks were common.

The post March, 2010 DS MINIs were seriously hampered by the lack of a factory-available limited slip differential in stock and now all but the Countryman suffer from lack of factory awd in the renamed street classes.

If the shocks and springs in the sport suspension were simply renumbered stock parts MINI would be committing illegal fraud. Don't you think somebody in the motorsports community would have caught them?

hsautocrosser 04-28-2016 10:58 AM

In the meantime the BMW X1 has jumped ahead of the Clubman All4 on my list of contenders. The BMW surprisingly comes with the magnetic shocks, awd, and m sport suspension as standard. It's $3k more than the Clubman and nearly $10k less than the Sport Wagon as I want them equipped. And it's being advertised locally with $3-5k off.

More rear headroom, shoulder width, and leg room plus much more cargo space with seats up or lowered. Same chassis, no doubts about how the revised Xdrive works, and 4/10ths quicker to 60mph. I still suspect I would buy the 2 Series Active Tourer if it was sold in the US.

vetsvette 04-28-2016 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 4202261)
Well maybe, I can't compare because I never had a SS on my R56, just a sway bar. But the dealer installed JCW suspension on the G2 cars did lower it by about 1/2" I pretty sure.

The dealer installed JCW suspension was a coil over system and could be lowered 1" to 1.5" IIRC.

hsautocrosser 04-28-2016 06:30 PM

"The John Cooper Works Sport Suspension for the Cooper and Cooper S is designed to give ambitious, sporty drivers an exciting, yet safe driving experience. The tighter sporty chassis tuning combined with the lower ride height of the car (10mm) creates a fantastic feel behind the wheel. To create an optical effect distinguishes the suspension tuning, the coil springs have a red finish. The Sport Suspension kit includes four McPherson strut shock absorbers, two stabilizer bars and the required mounting parts. The coil springs need to be ordered separately, depending on the options installed on the individual vehicle." (10mm = 0.3937 inches)

http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/2...ORT-SUSPENSION

TheBigNewt 04-29-2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by hsautocrosser (Post 4202281)
If the shocks and springs in the sport suspension were simply renumbered stock parts MINI would be committing illegal fraud. Don't you think somebody in the motorsports community would have caught them?

Well they could have renumbered the same parts as the stock suspenion (springs not sway bars) because they were part of the SS package along with the bars. I just distinctly remember an aftermarket dealer like Way saying the springs they removed from a SS were the same springs as the standard. I have no way of proving that, I admit.

Originally Posted by hsautocrosser (Post 4202441)
"The John Cooper Works Sport Suspension for the Cooper and Cooper S is designed to give ambitious, sporty drivers an exciting, yet safe driving experience. The tighter sporty chassis tuning combined with the lower ride height of the car (10mm) creates a fantastic feel behind the wheel. To create an optical effect distinguishes the suspension tuning, the coil springs have a red finish. The Sport Suspension kit includes four McPherson strut shock absorbers, two stabilizer bars and the required mounting parts. The coil springs need to be ordered separately, depending on the options installed on the individual vehicle." (10mm = 0.3937 inches)
http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/2...ORT-SUSPENSION

So it did lower it 1/2 inch, unlike the Sport Suspension. I doubt the SS had the McPherson struts. Right?

hsautocrosser 04-29-2016 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt (Post 4202734)
Well they could have renumbered the same parts as the stock suspenion (springs not sway bars) because they were part of the SS package along with the bars. I just distinctly remember an aftermarket dealer like Way saying the springs they removed from a SS were the same springs as the standard. I have no way of proving that, I admit.

So it did lower it 1/2 inch, unlike the Sport Suspension. I doubt the SS had the McPherson struts. Right?

There are multiple springs with different part numbers in the stock, sport, and JCW suspensions. You have to supply your VIN to order them separately for the JCW kit. If you have options like the sunroof that add weight you get stiffer springs than if you don't have them. So no, they wouldn't be using identical springs with different part numbers.

Why don't you ask Way since you are now suggesting he might have said it? His reputation here has value to his business.

Many people do believe the SS also has a slight drop. It is a concern for those who want to use Koni FSDs which fail when used with lowering springs.

You're doubting whether your own car has MacPherson struts?