News News related to NAM and around the world

MINI JCW Team...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:48 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Good info mct...thank you! Now, if they could only run the "STOCK" JCW Brembo brakes! Jeez, what's wrong with that? If the rules don't allow stock brakes, that's just plain wrong! Maybe we should start a petition & submit it to IMSA? I guarantee you the stock brakes on the Porsches are better than whatever the MINI's are running right now (which may be stock on non-JCW's, but they're not stock JCW brakes)!
You get no argument from me on that!! Completely agree!!!!

Old 03-29-2016, 03:19 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mct
Gotcha - the reason for that is that the factory JCW was not available when the team put together their fleet of cars. They actually do have B48 engines in the cars, just like the factory JCW (keep in mind when they built these cars, the B46 wasn't even out yet and the B48 was the only option anyway).

The team is running a factory JCW DME module (ie. ECU) and JCW exhaust and JCW/custom body parts (with the exception of the side indicator lights on some cars - some do have the "S" side markers still) as well as the equivalent or better than the JCW coilover setup made by KW Suspension (just like the factory JCW pro suspension).

Unfortunately in racing, you can't just swap out cars every year - that gets crazy expensive. Even top teams in NASCAR carry some cars over from season to season. You replace/repair the panels and parts that get damaged and move on.

However, I do agree that in a perfect world with unlimited budgets it would be awesome for the team to get new cars each season to match that of what is in the showroom.
Well said!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
Do you feel like the Wilwoods make a big difference? I'm thinking about getting a BBK in the future. Not sure if I should do JCW upgrade or third party.

I did an HPDE event at PBIR last year and the brakes definitely didn't feel as responsive by time I was in the 3rd session.
I know this is getting off topic a bit...but to answer - Yes the Wilwoods are better in a number of respects, as would be the 4 piston Brembo/JCW brakes. Being aluminum calipers, they dissipate the heat better away from the fluid. Also with the stock single piston caliper the inside pad does about 2/3s of the braking, so there is more heat generated right next to the steel piston and that heat then gets readily transfers to the fluid inside the caliper. The casts steel caliper and all of its mass does little to dissipate the heat. So the fluid gets over heated. The Wilwoods & Brembos apply even force equally to the inside and pads so the heat is dissipated to either side of the rotor and each side generates less heat than the piston side of the stock caliper. Plus the Wilwoods can be had with pistons that are stainless steel which is a poor conductor of heat, so the fluid doesn't get heated as readily (don't remember what the Brembo/JCW calipers have, except that they are a sintered metal of some sort).

Now, the 3rd Gen 6 piston JCW brakes with that huge rotor and 6 piston caliper just raise the bar for braking even higher . That big, heavy rotor has a lot of mass to absorb heat as it generated during braking and then that heat is dissipated after braking is done so that heat doesn't go into the caliper and piston. One case where mass/weight is good.

If you go with a BBK and you have the DTC option, there is a MINI reflash of the ECU to match the compatibility of the brakes to the ABS function (which includes the eLSD) that you should consider doing, especially if for running on the track. Otherwise the eLSD function will over-brake when it is called upon to prevent wheel spin and that is a mess. So we don't tie up this thread with this side discussion, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this more.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:35 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
It was my understanding the 3rd Gen JCW large Brembos are 4 piston calipers (not 6)

Old 03-29-2016, 05:00 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by mct
Gotcha - the reason for that is that the factory JCW was not available when the team put together their fleet of cars. They actually do have B48 engines in the cars, just like the factory JCW (keep in mind when they built these cars, the B46 wasn't even out yet and the B48 was the only option anyway).
Who told you that ? Curious because actuality, the JCW was "born" first even before the stock S model you can purchase at the dealer. They actually did what most manufacturers do in reverse by designing the JCW first so they would have an edge/more cost effective in racing.

The reason why they are not able to run the factory JCW Front Calipers is because it is in the Continental Challenge Series, the wheels cannot be any larger than 17", and Conti provides the 17 tires. Unfortunately these cannot be wrapped around the JCW Calipers on the F-56, so they had to be removed, with factory S front calipers in their place. But so far this had not been a handicap.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:18 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Who told you that ? Curious because actuality, the JCW was "born" first even before the stock S model you can purchase at the dealer. They actually did what most manufacturers do in reverse by designing the JCW first so they would have an edge/more cost effective in racing.

The reason why they are not able to run the factory JCW Front Calipers is because it is in the Continental Challenge Series, the wheels cannot be any larger than 17", and Conti provides the 17 tires. Unfortunately these cannot be wrapped around the JCW Calipers on the F-56, so they had to be removed, with factory S front calipers in their place. But so far this had not been a handicap.
Sorry, but the stock JCW comes with 17" wheels & the Brembos. The 18" wheels are optional.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 AM
mct
5th Gear
Got this information straight from the JCW MINI Team at Sebring while I was there as they happily answered my hundreds of questions on this very topic I don't think they would have given me misinformation...

Ok my turn... Who told you that?? lol

I run 17" wheels with the JCW calipers on my F56 without issue

Old 03-30-2016, 08:07 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Well, let's all just hope that the JCW Team can do something to make their cars more competitive...seems that something should be done. I'm no expert, but they certainly appear to be at some disadvantage. They shouldn't have to pray for rain to be competitive!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 AM
mct
5th Gear
Well, let's all just hope that the JCW Team can do something to make their cars more competitive...seems that something should be done. I'm no expert, but they certainly appear to be at some disadvantage. They shouldn't have to pray for rain to be competitive!
For sure!!

The JCW brakes will be a big step towards that. A bit more power wouldn't hurt either lol

Old 03-30-2016, 07:54 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
SPECIFIC CAR REGULATIONS
of the 2016 IMSA CONTINENTAL TIRE
SPORTSCAR CHALLENGE

MINICooper JCW 2015ST
Final Drive: 3.59
Fuel capacity: 18gal
Weight:2540lbs
Tire size: 225/45/17
Maximum Boost Pressure: 212 0mbar Absolute
Must use Cooper S front calipers
Approved Modifications
1.May install fuel cell.

I copied the above specs off the 2016 IMSA Rules & Regulations (Google them!)

Notice what it says about the front brakes????

The Mazdas were allowed to use the MX8 front brakes. I don't know how they come up with the specific rules for each manufacturer, but there is obviously alot of "discretion" put in play in these rules!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:15 PM
mct
5th Gear
Good find

Now about getting those brakes upgraded and a little more boost

Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
SPECIFIC CAR REGULATIONS
of the 2016 IMSA CONTINENTAL TIRE
SPORTSCAR CHALLENGE

MINICooper JCW 2015ST
Final Drive: 3.59
Fuel capacity: 18gal
Weight:2540lbs
Tire size: 225/45/17
Maximum Boost Pressure: 212 0mbar Absolute
Must use Cooper S front calipers
Approved Modifications
1.May install fuel cell.

I copied the above specs off the 2016 IMSA Rules & Regulations (Google them!)

Notice what it says about the front brakes????

The Mazdas were allowed to use the MX8 front brakes. I don't know how they come up with the specific rules for each manufacturer, but there is obviously alot of "discretion" put in play in these rules!
Absolutely great find

This makes me feel like it is a balance of performance (BOP) issue. IMSA must have decided the JCW brakes gave the MINIs to much of an advantage.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Huge news, looks like IMSA was paying attention. They've approved the JCW brakes! http://miniracefan.com/2016/04/12/im...es-jcw-brakes/

Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
That's awesome! I cannot figure out why IMSA made them run the MCS brakes....like the Porsches don't have an obvious advantage! Maybe they realize the racing might be more competitive allowing MINI to use their "STOCK" brakes! (and safer too!)

Now, let's see what wheel they run with the Brembos...LOL!

John

Old 04-12-2016, 07:12 PM
mct
5th Gear
That's awesome! I cannot figure out why IMSA made them run the MCS brakes....like the Porsches don't have an obvious advantage! Maybe they realize the racing might be more competitive allowing MINI to use their "STOCK" brakes! (and safer too!)

Now, let's see what wheel they run with the Brembos...LOL!

John
The NM Engineering wheels they are running are the same ones I am running on my car with the JCW Brembos so they should be just fine!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
The NM Engineering wheels they are running are the same ones I am running on my car with the JCW Brembos so they should be just fine!
They were running BBS LM's afaik....sure look like BBS's. Yes, thed new NM's for the JCW will work but I'm not sure if they run racing spindles (instead of lugs).

Old 04-13-2016, 06:01 AM
mct
5th Gear
They were running BBS LM's afaik....sure look like BBS's. Yes, thed new NM's for the JCW will work but I'm not sure if they run racing spindles (instead of lugs).
Check out my pics from Sebring and you will see the NM wheels on the cars:

http://www.motoringfun.com/2016/03/2...e-sebring-150/

Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mct

Oh, ok...I was thinking of the initial BBS LM style wheels they were running....I like those actually, but their spokes are just too "flat" to work on the JCW Brembos. I missed the pic you posted above....you can't even "see any calipers" in that pic! LOL! Those rotors must feel "lost"!

Correction.....the wheels I was thinking of are Fikse, not BBS LM's...although they are similar in appearance.

Last edited by 02fanatic; 04-15-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Did a TBT post about 2015 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca race. This is where the team scored their first ever top 10! http://miniracefan.com/2016/04/21/tb...una-seca-race/

Old 04-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
JCW Top Ten

Originally Posted by TrueEddie
Did a TBT post about 2015 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca race. This is where the team scored their first ever top 10! http://miniracefan.com/2016/04/21/tb...una-seca-race/
Great news, thanks for sharing!

Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thread. Shouldn't we have a separate subform?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Originally Posted by mct

Oh, ok...I was thinking of the initial BBS LM style wheels they were running....I like those actually, but their spokes are just too "flat" to work on the JCW Brembos. I missed the pic you posted above....you can't even "see any calipers" in that pic! LOL! Those rotors must feel "lost"!

Correction.....the wheels I was thinking of are Fikse, not BBS LM's...although they are similar in appearance.
They are sponsored by Fikse, so they are probably running Fikse. Don't ya think?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:37 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
They are sponsored by Fikse, so they are probably running Fikse. Don't ya think?
This

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 04-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
This

Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 PM
mct
5th Gear
Believe me - I was surprised they were no longer running the Fikse wheels anymore either when I saw them at Sebring. They did not have Fikse sponsorship on the cars anymore at Sebring either. May explain why they switched to NM Engineering wheels...