F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Tuning Kit problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Whoa, not good news. Been lucky with mine so far.

Not exactly sure how it operates, but one would assume when it loses BT connection it closes (since when car is shut off that happens automatically).

If it's not mechanical, it has to be the connection, no?

May not be the actual tune controller, but perhaps an issue with the car's actual BT maintaining connection. Unsure how much of a disconnect has to occur for the valve to shut.

I run zero BT items with mine, only have a thumb drive with songs playing all the time when in the car. Cell phone is off (I know hard to believe, but if I need it, I can turn it on. Pretty confident I can remain incommunicado while driving without the world coming to an end ).

Maybe try going completely "toothless" for the next few outing and see if the flap closes. Not a solution (as I'm sure I'm in the minority with the cell phone in the car), but at least it could narrow the problem down to being BT related.

Good luck Pedro

Old 05-29-2016, 07:58 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
May not be the actual tune controller, but perhaps an issue with the car's actual BT maintaining connection. Unsure how much of a disconnect has to occur for the valve to shut.
The car's BT shouldn't have any effect whatsoever. The module installed in the boot area is a standalone BT receiver that should only be communicating with the remote.
After re-reading Pedro's tutorial on setting the baffle to track mode permanently, I've come to the conclusion that the exhaust baffle actuator doesn't have a normally open or closed position. It stays in whatever position the controller is telling it to be in when the wiring harness is removed. If it had a normally open or closed state it would return to that state when power to the actuator is removed. Since it doesn't, it seems a reasonable assumption that the module is getting a signal from something or somewhere to close the baffle. YMMV

Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if this would apply to the JCW Kit:

I wonder if the wires are intermittently shorted causing your valve issues.
On my Remus exhaust I found out that the wires leading to the valve actuator were heat damaged and the insulation was starting to flake off (bare copper showing). This was during my routine monthly check after the car went through a couple of dyno sessions.
Luckily I found out before any of the wires were shorting each other. I have since reinsulate the wires and wrapped them with high temp tape for preventive measure.
The wires and looms on the Remus exhaust were definitely not built for the very hot environment of the exhaust system, even more during track/dyno session.
I hope BMW did a better job with their kit.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:32 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Part of the problem is that no one seems to really know for sure how the kit works from a technical perspective. It would be nice to see a full technical spec sheet on what is actually going on. The actual exhaust will be next to be examined closer... Good thought on wires. From what I have observed, the flap is closing ahead of the remote pinging the control module so I don't think it would be BT connection related. Only after the flap is closed does the control module appear to send notice to the remote that it is closed and the remote responds with a long red light. Will keep you guys updated with where we go from here...

Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mct
Part of the problem is that no one seems to really know for sure how the kit works from a technical perspective. It would be nice to see a full technical spec sheet on what is actually going on. The actual exhaust will be next to be examined closer... Good thought on wires. From what I have observed, the flap is closing ahead of the remote pinging the control module so I don't think it would be BT connection related. Only after the flap is closed does the control module appear to send notice to the remote that it is closed and the remote responds with a long red light. Will keep you guys updated with where we go from here...
I'm going to check on mine. I thought I got the long red light just prior to the flap closing, but now I'm not sure. I was really hoping that the new module was going to do the trick. There's always your suggestion of disconnecting the module when the flap is open - leaving it open all the time - but, this should work as advertised for the money we spent on it. At some point, some compensation should be paid, even if they fix it. Your time taking your car in over and over again as a guinea pig isn't free.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:47 AM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
...this should work as advertised for the money we spent on it. At some point, some compensation should be paid, even if they fix it. Your time taking your car in over and over again as a guinea pig isn't free.
Agreed!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah I think it should work for the money people have spent on it. I don't think I would buy that option myself after what I've heard about it.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 AM
vetsvette
Counting myself, I know of at least three people that have had no trouble whatsoever with the systems. I'd be curious to see the manufacture dates of the offending systems. Could be something as simple as a bad actuator on the pipe itself since the've replaced the other electronic components. If that doesn't fix it, then it is probably in the system wiring harness somewhere.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:52 AM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Counting myself, I know of at least three people that have had no trouble whatsoever with the systems. I'd be curious to see the manufacture dates of the offending systems. Could be something as simple as a bad actuator on the pipe itself since the've replaced the other electronic components. If that doesn't fix it, then it is probably in the system wiring harness somewhere.
Just curious - what percentage of your driving includes the flap open? I am wondering if I am more sensitive to it since I use it open 100% of the time. It is the first thing I hit when I turn on the car.

I will say this though - since replacing the control module, the flap does not close as often as it used to so far... Happened 3-4 times the other day, but hasn't happened once yet today. On my old module, it would close much more often.

It is the needle in the haystack for sure. Will update once I hear from the dealer on what they want to try next.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I still think MINI should make the tune available without the exhaust (for those who want to use another exhaust option) or the exhaust without the tune (for those with a factory JCW).

Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
I still think MINI should make the tune available without the exhaust (for those who want to use another exhaust option) or the exhaust without the tune (for those with a factory JCW).
+1, I have a Clubbie and they don't have an exhaust for it yet, but I would totally pay for just the tune now and the exhaust later if I still want it.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
+ Infinity

Old 05-30-2016, 06:44 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by mct
Just curious - what percentage of your driving includes the flap open? I am wondering if I am more sensitive to it since I use it open 100% of the time. It is the first thing I hit when I turn on the car.
My startup procedure is ... Start/Stop toggle, Sport Mode selected, activate the exhaust. The only time I have it in normal mode is if I'm cruising alongside a LEO or stopped next to one.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM
mct
5th Gear
Hmm I activate exhaust before Sport mode... Shouldn't matter but will try it your way

Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
My startup procedure is ... Start/Stop toggle, Sport Mode selected, activate the exhaust. The only time I have it in normal mode is if I'm cruising alongside a LEO or stopped next to one.
Same procedure as me. It's in sport all the time except for interstate trips when it gets put into Green.

Zero problems with exhaust flap closing.

That would be very strange if launch sequence was the issue.