F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 Cooper S + JCW Tuning Kit + NM Power Module = 264bhp / 301 ft-lbs of torque!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:57 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
F56 Cooper S + JCW Tuning Kit + NM Power Module = 264bhp / 301 ft-lbs of torque!!

After this past weekend's dyno day that we had locally with 11 MINIs, including a couple stock F56 Cooper S', and a F56 factory JCW, one combination came out on top above all the others:

a 2016 F56 Cooper S with the following 2 additions:
- John Cooper Works Pro Tuning Kit / Exhaust
- NM Engineering Power Module

While the factory JCW was impressive by putting down 220.33 whp and 219.66 ft-lbs at the wheels, the NM power-equipped MINI put down a MASSIVE 235.60 whp and 268.74 ft-lbs!! Add in the 12% drivetrain loss and at the crank that translates to 263.87 bhp and 300.99 ft-lbs!!

From analyzing the data that was collected, it is clear that the factory JCW has just about as much horsepower and torque as the stock F56 until about 4750 rpm. Once it hits 4750 rpm, the torque start climbing as well as the horsepower in an impressive manner.

Now if you simply stick the JCW tuning kit exhaust on the car, low-end torque gets added to the mix that surpasses the factory JCW up until the 4750 rpm mark. At 4750 rpm, the factory JCW's amazing torque climbs past that of the JCW tuning kit F56 and keeps it well above for the rest of the rpm range.

But hold on... If you stick the NM Power Module to the JCW Tuning Kit MINI, not only do you see a big increase in low-end torque, but you also see a beautiful power band that stays constantly above the factory JCW even well beyond the magical 4750 rpm mark. In fact, the factory JCW never catches up and stays significantly lower than the JCW Tuning Kit MINI with the NM Power Module.

Needless to say - I was VERY impressed with this combination!!

If anyone wants to see the graphs or the data in more detail, I posted it all here:

http://www.motoringfun.com/2015/11/1...-power-module/

Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I installed the NM Power Module on my F56S today and I have to agree with you. It feels like a totally different car. Can't recommend it enough. Now I've gotta save my money for the JCW tune.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:34 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
JCW tuning kit

Originally Posted by mct
After this past weekend's dyno day that we had locally with 11 MINIs, including a couple stock F56 Cooper S', and a F56 factory JCW, one combination came out on top above all the others:

a 2016 F56 Cooper S with the following 2 additions:
- John Cooper Works Pro Tuning Kit / Exhaust
- NM Engineering Power Module

While the factory JCW was impressive by putting down 220.33 whp and 219.66 ft-lbs at the wheels, the NM power-equipped MINI put down a MASSIVE 235.60 whp and 268.74 ft-lbs!! Add in the 12% drivetrain loss and at the crank that translates to 263.87 bhp and 300.99 ft-lbs!!

From analyzing the data that was collected, it is clear that the factory JCW has just about as much horsepower and torque as the stock F56 until about 4750 rpm. Once it hits 4750 rpm, the torque start climbing as well as the horsepower in an impressive manner.

Now if you simply stick the JCW tuning kit exhaust on the car, low-end torque gets added to the mix that surpasses the factory JCW up until the 4750 rpm mark. At 4750 rpm, the factory JCW's amazing torque climbs past that of the JCW tuning kit F56 and keeps it well above for the rest of the rpm range.

But hold on... If you stick the NM Power Module to the JCW Tuning Kit MINI, not only do you see a big increase in low-end torque, but you also see a beautiful power band that stays constantly above the factory JCW even well beyond the magical 4750 rpm mark. In fact, the factory JCW never catches up and stays significantly lower than the JCW Tuning Kit MINI with the NM Power Module.

Needless to say - I was VERY impressed with this combination!!

If anyone wants to see the graphs or the data in more detail, I posted it all here:

http://www.motoringfun.com/2015/11/1...-power-module/
In California I can't legally use these after market kits. But on the other hand, the JCW tuning kit seems likes it's perfect for a daily driver like mine. The increased torque up to 4750 is right where I want it. Along with the crazy, wonderful exhaust, it's a winner for me.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 AM
BellaF56
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been debating pretty heavily on purchasing this module since I have the tuning kit on my MCS. The temptation is so much higher now! This is pretty cool information, thank you for posting this!!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:50 AM
mct
5th Gear
No problem!

Keep in mind that the NM Power Module was set on LOW!!! We didn't have any high octane gas to try it on the high setting, but I can only imagine what the results would be!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 AM
vetsvette
I talked to a tech at NM about the high setting. He said that as long as you are not running at WOT for extended periods of time (on a track) you are safe to run it on high with 93 octane. They run their car with it on high and have been for several months with no problems. I bypassed the stun setting and installed it in the "Kill" position from the get go. I'm loving it!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Is the NM power module giving people better results than the BMS Stage 1 JB?

For $20 less and from a well-respected Tuner, I'd think the BMS would be more popular with the MCS crowd.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM
mct
5th Gear
BTW - The NM Power Module is currently $359 with the promo code MF2015 so not sure the BMS is $20 cheaper for the moment

Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Ok well, that still doesn't answer my question, haha. My point is that the price point is a wash - what does the NM do better to make someone choose it over the more established (and more versatile) enthusiast's choice?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:48 AM
mct
5th Gear
Not sure if it is any better or not - we didn't have an F56 S with BMS installed at our dyno day. Just reporting the data as it was collected and it was darn impressive. Was just letting your know about the promo to make the price a wash.

If the BMS can do the same thing, that's great!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:53 AM
mct
5th Gear
BTW - do you have any dyno data to share on the BMS solution? Would be curious to look at it.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:21 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
I'm sorry if it came across as a critique of your dyno day, it's not at all what I intended. It sounds fun, and I definitely appreciate the extra data!

I'm genuinely curious as to the different power modules though, since I am trying to decide which one to buy myself.

Here is the dyno sheet for the B38 triple, and for the new JCW from BMS - I know there's a MCS one somewhere, but I didn't have it saved. Should be easy enough to find.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dynosheet.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-f56-dyno.html

Old 11-13-2015, 11:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but does the NM Power Module install the same as the BMS one? I see that it costs about the same.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 PM
vetsvette
Only one connection with the NM.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:26 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The NM Module looks a little cleaner and I think it's a slightly easier install because it doesn't connect to as many sensors as the BT. Of course, because of that, it may not be as versatile as the BT.

FWIW, I have a NM myself and I run mine on HIGH all the time and couldn't be happier.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:47 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MidnightF56
I'm sorry if it came across as a critique of your dyno day, it's not at all what I intended. It sounds fun, and I definitely appreciate the extra data!
No worries I just find the data very interesting!

Originally Posted by MidnightF56
Here is the dyno sheet for the B38 triple, and for the new JCW from BMS - I know there's a MCS one somewhere, but I didn't have it saved. Should be easy enough to find.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dynosheet.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-f56-dyno.html
Interesting - sounds like the BMS allows for more tinkering. Those dyno graphs were run with some E85 fuel, which explains the higher power on the JCW. Definitely a positive for those who know what they are doing. Not sure I would have enough knowledge to take advantage of those extra features, but looks cool. Would like to see a dyno graph of a stock F56 Cooper S with normal fuel (91-93) to see what gains the chip adds. Neat stuff.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:51 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
No worries I just find the data very interesting!

Interesting - sounds like the BMS allows for more tinkering. Those dyno graphs were run with some E85 fuel, which explains the higher power on the JCW. Definitely a positive for those who know what they are doing. Not sure I would have enough knowledge to take advantage of those extra features, but looks cool. Would like to see a dyno graph of a stock F56 Cooper S with normal fuel (91-93) to see what gains the chip adds. Neat stuff.
Their website claims 30whp and 40wtq on a stock B48 motor with regular premium. I have no reason to disbelieve their claims as they have a very public forum presence with lots of beta testers to back them up.

If NM designed a module that was compatible with the B38 I'd be willing to give them a shot.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
FWIW, I have a NM myself and I run mine on HIGH all the time and couldn't be happier.
Just an FYI - on a JCW Tuning Kit equipped MINI with the NM Module set on high with high octane fuel - it felt quicker and had more power. However, when using 93 octane fuel while it was set on high, max boost actually dropped and power seemed lower. Once NM module was set back to low, power came right back and boost levels went up again. I am guessing the reason is that the JCW tuning kit already increases boost and adding the NM module and trying to run it on high with 93 octane causes the car's ECU to kick in and retard timing/boost to keep things safe, resulting in the lower power.

Guessing on F56 Cooper S with no JCW tuning kit, the NM module on high increases things to a safe level even for 93 octane.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I know it's a technicality, but the way you calculated your engine power isn't quite right. You don't add 12% from the wheels, but subtract 12% from the engine. It's a subtle but important difference.

Engine HP - 12% Engine HP = Wheel HP
1 - (1*.12) = wHP
0.88 Engine HP = wHP
wHP / 0.88 = Engine HP

235.6 / 0.88 = 268 HP
...and doing the same to the torque calculates to 305 LbFt

In reality, the dyno can't accurately measure to a tenth of a HP, let alone a hundredth of a HP, so just rounding to the nearest HP is practical.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:23 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mct
Just an FYI - on a JCW Tuning Kit equipped MINI with the NM Module set on high with high octane fuel - it felt quicker and had more power. However, when using 93 octane fuel while it was set on high, max boost actually dropped and power seemed lower. Once NM module was set back to low, power came right back and boost levels went up again. I am guessing the reason is that the JCW tuning kit already increases boost and adding the NM module and trying to run it on high with 93 octane causes the car's ECU to kick in and retard timing/boost to keep things safe, resulting in the lower power.

Guessing on F56 Cooper S with no JCW tuning kit, the NM module on high increases things to a safe level even for 93 octane.
I don't doubt it. Mine does not have the Tuning Kit and I run 92, sometimes 93 octane. I did have it on during a track day and didn't notice any drop in power due to retardation, but then again, I was paying closer attention to my lines.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Until now I haven't been paying very much attention to "tuning". So now I ask, what is the "JCW Tuning Kit"? Is it available from the dealer under a single part number, and can it be installed in the home garage? Does installation void the factory warranty?

Would it be better to install this kit first and then consider adding the NM or BMS modules?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 PM
vetsvette
The JCW tuning kit is a substantial investment and the dealer has to install the program for it. Since the kit is dealer installed I would imagine it's warranty complient. The NM module is $375-$400 and can be self installed in 20 minutes. I would remove it before having any warranty work done though.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:55 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I know it's a technicality, but the way you calculated your engine power isn't quite right. You don't add 12% from the wheels, but subtract 12% from the engine. It's a subtle but important difference.

Engine HP - 12% Engine HP = Wheel HP
1 - (1*.12) = wHP
0.88 Engine HP = wHP
wHP / 0.88 = Engine HP

235.6 / 0.88 = 268 HP
...and doing the same to the torque calculates to 305 LbFt

In reality, the dyno can't accurately measure to a tenth of a HP, let alone a hundredth of a HP, so just rounding to the nearest HP is practical.
Thank you sir!

Learned something new tonight!

Old 11-13-2015, 06:03 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sailorlite
Until now I haven't been paying very much attention to "tuning". So now I ask, what is the "JCW Tuning Kit"? Is it available from the dealer under a single part number, and can it be installed in the home garage? Does installation void the factory warranty?

Would it be better to install this kit first and then consider adding the NM or BMS modules?
My dealer currently is offering the JCW Tuning Kit for $2246 installed. It includes the JCW Pro exhaust with the bluetooth 4.0 remote to open and close the flap in the right exhaust pipe. It also includes a software "tune" that increases hp and torque. It is an OEM upgrade so it is covered by MINI's warranty.

Now the NM or BMS modules technically could void your warranty if your dealer sees it in there and it causes a problem with your car. The idea is that since it is a plug-in module, you could disconnect it before going to your dealer...

As for which to install first... The plug-in modules are obviously much cheaper and deliver probably more bang for the buck, but the combination of the JCW tuning kit and the plug-in module really compliments the F56 well.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Bnutz78
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone interested in the BMS module take a look at Outmotoring. 😉 Don't forget the 5% off floating around as well.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 F56 Cooper S + JCW Tuning Kit + NM Power Module = 264bhp / 301 ft-lbs of torque!!