F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Test driving. The good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test driving. The good and the bad.

Made the 100 mile trip to my "local" Mini dealer today to get in my test drive.
So first , I was interested in 3 cars. First was a special edition R56S. Second was an F56S, and 3rd was the difference between the auto and manual. The R56 was a manual.
When I got to the dealer, the R56 was gone. I found it later, but it was in fact bought that day. So that one was out of the equation. That made things easier.
So first I drove an auto. It was the right color. Electric Blue and white with white stripes. Sunroof, JCW steering wheel. Fake leather sport seats. The only thing I would have to add is the checkered flag roof and mirrors.
It was a nice car and I liked it.
But then I tried a manual car.
First off it was the wrong color. Completely. But I was just testing the manual, so I didnt care about the color. That could be rectified by ordering a new one.
But then the salesman drove it around the corner and the sun hit that dirty ( Phoenix had a dust storm the day before) British Racing Green and hey now.............. thats kind of a pretty color. Hmmmm.
O.K. lets go for a drive. Well, just the standard wheel, but its got Nav.
What are these seats? Cross Punch leather in Dark Truffle? Brown? Those look kind of nice.......... and they go well with the green.
Hmmmmm.
OH HOLY ****!!!!!! These could very well be the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LETS DRIVE!!!!!!
Shorter test drive than with the auto car. Didnt need to go further. But when we got back to the dealer we had to go back out real quick to open the sun roof.
Then we got back to the dealer and just sat in the car for like 15 minutes.
This is my car.
That was the good.
Wanna run some numbers?
Oh man. Ya, I guess. Cause heres the problem.
The bad.
I KNOW they arent gonna give me what I want for my truck. I just know it.
And they didnt.
They had to go out 800 miles to find comparable trucks.
How far is 800 miles from Scottsdale? Wyoming? The middle of Texas? Colorado? Idaho? So we are talking Ranch country? And the closest they could get is 56,000 miles more than what was on my truck. So they would be hammered on. No, Im not accepting what your offering
And I know there was quite a bit left on the bone for them if I would have got what I wanted for the truck. Im not totally unreasonable. But I guess they were.
So, I still dont own a Mini, But I know what I want.
Now Its time to sell the truck, travel trailer, and Harley, and THEN go buy my car.
Patience.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:42 PM
sheepszies
1st Gear
The seats in the new F56 are glorious. Glad you enjoyed the test drive. You'll love the car when you get it

Old 10-18-2015, 05:22 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
BRG over tan is THE classic British car color combination. (classic = 1960's) Read the current financial offers at MINIUSA.COM if you haven't.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
They're definitely not generous with their trade-in offers. Gave me $5K for my '07 R56S. When I was at the dealer last week they had it listed for $10.5K because of all the work I had done to it.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 PM
rob.james.arias@gmail.com
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a far different experience on my trade, though not at first. I traded a 2014 mustang with an accident on the car fax. Initially the offer was 10k for the trade. I balked as I owed almost 20k and did not want to carry 10k in. I declined the offer and went back to ford and drove a Focus ST loaded. Liked it and was offered 16k on my trade combined with almost 4k in incentives made the negative equity a wash.

Was getting ready to sign and the salesman from Mini called. He said that they could offer me 17k with 2k in incentives, that was their best deal. I declined, and decided against the ST as I knew I would regret it. About a week goes by and the salesperson called again and said that they would give me retail for my trade to make the deal happen if I would be willing to buy a loaded mini S. I asked for the deal on paper which they sent over. There didn't seem to be anything but a straight forward deal. I went there an hour later and drove home with "Louie". I think it helped that it was the end of the month near the end of the year. That is the only time I will buy a car, the best deals are to be had around that time.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup, end of the month, end of the year......preferably snowing. My local dealer insulted me with trade in offer, and I had a very nice 2012 Justa with 32,000 miles. They could have sold it in a week. Ended up driving out of state and getting another $2500 on the trade and a better price on a new Mini by $2,000.

To the OP.....good luck in the hunt. You'll find the deal you want!

Old 12-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Oh wow, I didnt know people would be responding to this thread still. I bought the car a week after I posted this thread. Got it the day before Halloween.
Originally Posted by ToyCar
Yup, end of the month, end of the year......preferably snowing. My local dealer insulted me with trade in offer, and I had a very nice 2012 Justa with 32,000 miles. They could have sold it in a week. Ended up driving out of state and getting another $2500 on the trade and a better price on a new Mini by $2,000.

To the OP.....good luck in the hunt. You'll find the deal you want!
We got 8 inches of snow last new years eve. Havnt seen it since and dont wanna.

Originally Posted by rob.james.arias@gmail.com
I had a far different experience on my trade, though not at first. I traded a 2014 mustang with an accident on the car fax. Initially the offer was 10k for the trade. I balked as I owed almost 20k and did not want to carry 10k in. I declined the offer and went back to ford and drove a Focus ST loaded. Liked it and was offered 16k on my trade combined with almost 4k in incentives made the negative equity a wash.

Was getting ready to sign and the salesman from Mini called. He said that they could offer me 17k with 2k in incentives, that was their best deal. I declined, and decided against the ST as I knew I would regret it. About a week goes by and the salesperson called again and said that they would give me retail for my trade to make the deal happen if I would be willing to buy a loaded mini S. I asked for the deal on paper which they sent over. There didn't seem to be anything but a straight forward deal. I went there an hour later and drove home with "Louie". I think it helped that it was the end of the month near the end of the year. That is the only time I will buy a car, the best deals are to be had around that time.
I saw a car same color as yours in my little town yesterday.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:05 PM
rob.james.arias@gmail.com
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post some pics of the new ride!

Old 12-09-2015, 08:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 on those seats, Wait till you sit in the new F54 Clubman with power seats in that blue leather.. oh sooo nice. Like my old 5 series.

Dark Truffle = very nice and that pattern looks cool, like the alcantara /suede inserts also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-11-2015, 01:46 PM
chuck r
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The best new car deal I ever made was on Christmas eve. I walked in just looking and when the dealer came up and asked if he could help I said i was just looking. He came back in about ten minutes and I said you have one chance to make the deal, I still have Christmas shopping to finish and have to get on the road. I made my crazy lowball offer and he took it to his mgr, who countered with a his offer. I declined and walked out. Before I reached my car he came running and said they would take my offer. I signed the paper work and told them I would pick up the car after Christmas. I still finished all my shopping. Done and Done.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
What car was it ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-14-2015, 11:15 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Think twice about throwing in the Harley. As much as I love my Mini it doesn't take the place of two wheels.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Oh heck. I finally licensed the Harley in Oct. I think. It was due last December. I did license it for 2 years, but it really does need to go. Im just not riding it and it just doesnt fit into future plans. Ill miss it and I really like it, but it just isnt being used.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:45 AM
1R53
1st Gear
Sold