North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 Sport chair thigh-support to low (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/275896-sport-chair-thigh-support-to-low.html)

Rajapruk 08-23-2014 12:41 PM

Sport chair thigh-support to low

When testdriving an S, I found out that the thigh-support was to low down to really give the thigh some support for me. The support was fully outdrawn.
When lowering the chair to its lowest position, it was slightly better.
I am 185cm long.
My thought at that time was, that changeing the angle of the chair might help, tilting the chair more backwards, and thus getting the thigh-support higher up.
What do you think, is the thigh-suppport working for you, or is it a flaw in the design of it? Maybe I have freak legs?!

Rajapruk 08-24-2014 12:23 AM

Bump. No reflections on this?

RichSz 08-24-2014 06:02 AM

When I test drove the MCS my thighs never touched the thigh supports either. The way I see it is I never had a car which had thigh support and never felt I needed it. It just seems like a needless feature I'll never use.

Rajapruk 08-24-2014 02:38 PM

The Recaros in my R53 JCW gave the thighs support.
Someday, I will try the tilting-trick. But first, I must get my car.

gwman 08-26-2014 12:30 PM

6' tall, thigh support doesn't do anything for me, it's too low. Tried changing the seat to see if I could find a position where my thighs did touch, and I was too far from the pedals.

Rajapruk 08-26-2014 02:44 PM

It's so strange they went to all work adding the thing, when it does not work.

Chazman 08-26-2014 06:29 PM

Doesn't work for me either.

Is MINI Corp reading this? :eek2:

Rajapruk 08-27-2014 12:58 AM

My english is probably not good enough to explain what I mean, but I think elevating the front of the rail holding the seats might help. Leaning the whole seat more backwards.
Should be possible to do with some distance put under the rail holding the seat. Maybe washers on the bolts.

gwman 08-27-2014 10:45 AM

Yeah, that may help. I do wonder about the integrity of the seat in a crash if you do that though.

Originally Posted by Rajapruk (Post 3980775)
My english is probably not good enough to explain what I mean, but I think elevating the front of the rail holding the seats might help. Leaning the whole seat more backwards.
Should be possible to do with some distance put under the rail holding the seat. Maybe washers on the bolts.

Rajapruk 08-27-2014 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by gwman (Post 3980989)
Yeah, that may help. I do wonder about the integrity of the seat in a crash if you do that though.

Good point.

westemp 08-28-2014 06:01 PM

Works fine with the sport seats......I'm 5 ft 10 ins

tuco44 08-28-2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rajapruk (Post 3980552)
It's so strange they went to all work adding the thing, when it does not work.

Not exactly sure what your problem is, but I find the MINI's sport seats to be very comfortable and supportive. I am used to BMW sport seats so maybe that helps. I am pleased with the F56 S seats.

Costa_D 06-20-2015 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by gwman (Post 3980989)

Have you tried tilting the seat back with washers? I am experiencing the same issue of thigh support being too low

sacandagadano 06-21-2015 03:09 AM

Yes,lack of thigh support but more annoying is left side bolster seems to annoy leg to some degree.I just need to keep legs more together, that being said seats are very supportive in the twisties..

USA-RET 06-21-2015 05:05 AM

I tried mine and it was okay, actually like the driver seating better with it in the retracted position. It feels (to me anyway) a bit out of place when I sit in the drivers seat with it extended. Wife however likes the way it feels on the passenger side.

Perhaps it's something that will provide some comfort if used on a long trip. As is, I find it more a novelty than a practicality.

oldsbear 04-23-2016 10:40 AM

I have driven my 2016 MCSa for six months now, but have not used the thigh support for more than the thirty seconds it took to test it. (BTW, I am 6'1" and "heavyset.") With the seat elevation all the way down, the thigh support is useless to me.

I wish they had put the money for designing and implementing this feature into a bigger gas tank and/or better fuel economy.

However, the seat in general is great for my crappy spine. I can drive for hours without discomfort... Okay, the side bolster digs into my fat butt, but it's not really uncomfortable. Keeps me awake ;)

Danscrazyhair 08-13-2016 02:47 PM

What Mini needs to do is add a seat angle adjustment to the seats. BMW does this, which makes the thigh support actually useful. Unfortunately the mini only has height adjustment. I think for the money, the sport seats should have seat bottom angle adjustment. Besides this though, these sport seats are great!

Lucila 08-14-2016 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Danscrazyhair (Post 4234523)
What Mini needs to do is add a seat angle adjustment to the seats. BMW does this, which makes the thigh support actually useful. Unfortunately the mini only has height adjustment. I think for the money, the sport seats should have seat bottom angle adjustment. Besides this though, these sport seats are great!

I totally agree! I'm 5'8" and I have long legs. I still haven't found the sweet spot for having the right distance from the pedals without having to reach for the steering wheel. I have to keep my seat higher than I'd like in order to get close on both. If the seat tilted back, then I would be able to eat up some distance on my legs without compromising my distance to the steering wheel.

vetsvette 08-14-2016 04:27 PM

You do know that you have a telescoping steering column don't you?

Lucila 08-14-2016 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4234799)
You do know that you have a telescoping steering column don't you?

Yes, and I have it all the way out. :)

J_L 08-15-2016 08:46 PM

I agree, the thigh support does nothing for me. But if I slide the seat further back, my legs are more straight, and then it does give a little support. Not that I'm sure I needed it. But then the problem is that I can't get the clutch all the way down with my left foot. So while I bet there is some kind of improvement to be had if seat angle were adjustable, it would be only useful for you lazy automatic drivers! ;)

isamin 08-16-2016 11:57 AM

I couldn't stand it any more and ripped out my stock seats and replaced them with velour covered beanbag seating from walmart.

ISAMIN

Lucila 08-18-2016 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by isamin (Post 4235407)
I couldn't stand it any more and ripped out my stock seats and replaced them with velour covered beanbag seating from walmart.

ISAMIN

Are they available in satellite gray? :lol: