F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Are F56s beautiful or ugly or? "fun thread?"

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the looks of the F56 will ever grow on me. I'd very easily choose a current year Miata or BRZ over it. And that says a lot because those cars don't have an eighth of the personality a MINI does. Anyway, hoping the F54 will change my mind about this gen. Really looking forward to seeing how the production car compares to the concept.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
There are some things I like better about the F56 over my R56 and some not so much, but that is only normal. The MINI, in any generation, does not look like every other car on the road and I like that, so I plan to get an F56.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IDNTFIT
I can't wait to resurrect this thread when it's dead a year from now, just to see who is driving what.... Hahahah any bets?
All I can say is without even waiting a year, this thread has had it's "fun thread" label go past it's expiration date.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pjsjr13
I love the F56. BMW won me over with the refinement of this car..
That was pretty much what won me over as well. I test drove a couple of 2013 MINIs (base and S) but didn't like the quirky interior and felt the price of the car was very high for what you got. Thankfully, I went back to my MINI dealer in late February after reading reviews on the F56. Even though there were none to test drive, I was sold on the new MCS overall. The fact that the car was now an actual BMW model with BMW engines and BMW refinement (along with many new features) made me feel that I was getting a car worth the sticker price. Now, having driven my MCS for almost 3 months now, it's the best car I've ever owned. And that's a lot of cars over 49 years of driving.

IMO the 2014 MINI hardtop is a gorgeous car overall. BMW did a mighty fine job with the changes. The ONLY thing I would change is the front grill. I wished they had eliminated the chrome trim and just blacked it out. But that can easily be rectified. I have an appointment on Monday for some Plastidip work. The chrome grill surround and horizontal chrome bar will be dipped in satin black, and the headlight/taillight chrome trim will be dipped as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 AM
scottag
1st Gear
As with other F56 owners in this thread, I'm a bit biased.

Basing this thread on how you like the looks of a car has an analog in the real world of basing your choice of mate based solely on how hot they look. Luckily I scored on that front, so let me talk about my MINI.

I cannot begin to speak for MINI when it comes to their motivation and constraints involved in developing a new car body. There's much talk about pedestrian safety design issues involved, but who knows? If you look at other modern cars on the market today, they're all going the same route: larger noses, more bulbous behinds. Have you seen BMWs as of late? If you thought the F56's honker was large, take a look over there.

For me it all comes down to the ride. My F56S is phenomenal. The thing glides in and out of traffic. It doesn't meander, it goes where i point it with a sure-footedness that I haven't found in any other car I've owned. I even test drove a Countryman All4. Did not like it at all. You could say it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but the Countryman couldn't keep it together when going over speed-bumps.

I don't even know why I'm replying to this inane thread...

Old 07-09-2014, 06:51 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you're happy you got a BMW not a MINI? Makes sense haha;-).

Anyways, I looked at the newer BMWs, the 2series and 4series look good. Other than that, the front is huge as noted, that's why I'd prefer a 08-12 135i with the N54 engine if possible(but didn't wow me enough to purchase). Kinda curious why BMW loves the big nose on their new models like wise for the MINI. Things change that's bound to happen, but I'll wait till the car changes for the fourth generation because I will leave the brand for a while until I can 100% like the car completely. Until then I'll drive a BMW or something more interesting for myself.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:48 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottag
As with other F56 owners in this thread, I'm a bit biased.

Basing this thread on how you like the looks of a car has an analog in the real world of basing your choice of mate based solely on how hot they look. Luckily I scored on that front, so let me talk about my MINI.

I cannot begin to speak for MINI when it comes to their motivation and constraints involved in developing a new car body. There's much talk about pedestrian safety design issues involved, but who knows? If you look at other modern cars on the market today, they're all going the same route: larger noses, more bulbous behinds. Have you seen BMWs as of late? If you thought the F56's honker was large, take a look over there.

For me it all comes down to the ride. My F56S is phenomenal. The thing glides in and out of traffic. It doesn't meander, it goes where i point it with a sure-footedness that I haven't found in any other car I've owned. I even test drove a Countryman All4. Did not like it at all. You could say it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but the Countryman couldn't keep it together when going over speed-bumps.

I don't even know why I'm replying to this inane thread...
I guess I share your feelings. I, too, love how it glides in and out of traffic, going exactly where I point it. I'm just so impressed overall.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 PM
muellerfilm
2nd Gear
Wow I love the look of my F56 cooper. I get compliments all the time also. Wow what a nice looking car. Wow I love the lights. I love the front of it. Mine is Volcanic orange no stripes LED headlamps. And 17" cosmos wheels black. Black roof. It looks really good. The LED lamps the color and no stripes and the large black wheels really set it off. Plus I have the black pearl cloth seats really nice interior. I had a BMW 235i on order that I canceled to get the cooper. The 235i did nothing for me as far as looks. My cooper looks great.

Last edited by muellerfilm; 07-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Reading this thread, makes me really LIKE the the 3rd Generation community a lot. The Justa and the "S" are both liked and nobody puts either one down, which is very refreshing.

I have been around the old community for a while and found that 1st Gen hates anything 2nd Gen and 2nd Gen hates 1st Gen. JCW folks look down on the "S" folks and everyone hates the Justa, be it a 1st Gen or a 2nd Gen.

The only bickering that happens in this forum is when a 1st or 2nd Gen person comes over and starts it.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbewley
Reading this thread, makes me really LIKE the the 3rd Generation community a lot. The Justa and the "S" are both liked and nobody puts either one down, which is very refreshing. I have been around the old community for a while and found that 1st Gen hates anything 2nd Gen and 2nd Gen hates 1st Gen. JCW folks look down on the "S" folks and everyone hates the Justa, be it a 1st Gen or a 2nd Gen. The only bickering that happens in this forum is when a 1st or 2nd Gen person comes over and starts it.
Keep in mind that's a small percentage cause not every single MINI owner is on these forums.

As I should have stated, I like the F56 Cooper, but dislike the F56 MCS. Yes I'm a long time second gen owner but don't forget people will like it or dislike it cause of certain traits of the car. I'm stoked to see the FJCW F56 this fall as I've said before. You guys are getting some great things for your F56 models.