F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Are F56s beautiful or ugly or? "fun thread?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM
yukoncornelius
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll say this, I still haven't bought an f56, or other "fun" car... but I just really love the look of the f56. I hate how much I like it - it screams FUN and light heartedness. Particularly Volcanic Orange - just puts a smile on my face looking at it. There are so so so few cars that actually do that.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my first MINI, and I have to say, I do like the way it looks compared to the older models. Okay, I had no allegiances to the brand until I began doing research and reading reviews, so I'm a bit biased for the F56. That being said, the lines, wheel arches, robustness of the car, they speak maturity from the previous designs.

And the interior, holy cow!

But then again, to each their own.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
I find the F-56 Justa to be an attractive automobile overall. I must admit that I was not interested in Mini's when they first came back to the States. I first became interested in Mini's back in 2011 when I saw my friend pull up to a restaurant in hers. Then,a few months later,I drove it and I was hooked. I now own a 2013 Justa,in Chili Red. I love the evolution of the exterior design. I find both up close and far away that the car is beautiful. The paint looks so deep,I feel I could dive into it.I love most of the new wheels. The front end is clearly different than mine. I like it just fine. The headlights are the highlight! The interior is wonderful! The seats are a major upgrade. I do miss the window switches via toggle, I have no feeling one way or the other about the speedo being moved. The HUD is amazing! An important upgrade is the fact that connecting an iPod or a phone is a one cable affair-no more Y cables! The HK upgrade is very nice. The 3cyl engine is a revelation. A serious upgrade in power yet more mpg. Overall, a wonderful car and it will be my next vehicle.

Last edited by pfarinelli; 07-06-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:44 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
I have no problem with the new look outside and love the new inside, but I sure as heck wish they would have kept the Chili Red for everyone, not just future JCW. Blazing Red seems so mainstream and "grown up," so Honda Accord or - dare I say it - so BMW. Chili was just flat out fun. I ordered BR because it's the only red so wutcha gonna do? But I was lurking at the dealer today and a CR was at one end of the lot and a BR at the other and the CR looked red red red and the BR looked orange-ish. *sigh*

Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by becky1711
I have no problem with the new look outside and love the new inside, but I sure as heck wish they would have kept the Chili Red for everyone, not just future JCW. Blazing Red seems so mainstream and "grown up," so Honda Accord or - dare I say it - so BMW. Chili was just flat out fun. I ordered BR because it's the only red so wutcha gonna do? But I was lurking at the dealer today and a CR was at one end of the lot and a BR at the other and the CR looked red red red and the BR looked orange-ish. *sigh*

Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
wtwien - yeah, it's a lot redder than true red (or whatever that Countryman red was), but not as red as Chili. It does show up as a good red given the right light though. I have some dealer pics that show up as a nice red and not orange. Noon sun today made it look orange though, but a different orange than that countryman.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The Justa - I love the exterior equally as much as I loved my R56. I like it quite a bit more than the R56 stock bumpers (mine was a pre-facelift Cooper S) but it isn't nearly as good looking as the R56 with the JCW kit.

The rear-end grew on me extremely quickly. When I first saw the design I did a massive double-take on the tail lights and their size, but they are now my favorite feature of the entire car. Once you stop comparing it to the previous generations and appreciate the design on its own merits I think it flows extremely well. Pictures really don't do it justice.

The Cooper S exterior is another story. I just can't make myself like the front bumper. I suspect once we start to seem them lowered the front bumper will look much better though. The bumper itself is too bottom heavy (visually) compared to the amount of space underneath it. I think the rear bumper is fine. Dark colors are a better match for the new re-design due to the new grill.

The interior is in a class in it's own. A massive improvement over the R56 which was a massive improvement over the R53.

Good:

Better:

Best:

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM
OurF56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jmeryllman
Beautiful!!! Inside and out! Awesome personality and character too.
I think it looks great too !!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 PM
IDNTFIT
3rd Gear
I love my wifes R56, but Iove my F56 too! Things change, progress goes forward. Guess Im lucky to have both in my garage...

Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
Wow... the "old vs new" snobbery around here is impressive...

I once observed that there was a sharp difference between American and European sensibilities when it comes to the "new"... Americans tend to think that anything new is good, and anything old should be disposed of... whereas Europeans tend to feel that anything old is good, and anything new is suspect. So, I see many people being properly European in their viewpoints... and that's not bad since these are indeed European automobiles...

(however, insert old light bulb jokes here)

As for me, I'm split, since I keep a 40-year old Italian sports car alive, and my new MINI is (in toto) the best car I have owned, period. That said, the front of the F56 is not attractive, thus it has been named "Winston Churchill."

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
The F56 is just plain ugly...MINI hired the Audi and Lexus Unemployed Engineers to come up with the Front...I might have to buy a used car...Lotus

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Mosco
2nd Gear
Not sure why so much hostility.... CR&PW&JB has been a long time Mini fan, but doesn't currently like the F56. What's the big deal?

I'd rather it come from someone like him than one of the VW trolls on Motoring File who have obviously never had a Mini.

Me, I have and love my 06' justa, but can't wait for my F56 to arrive. I think the new cars are awesome looking. Yep, front end has changed and the tail lights are big. Taken on the whole, I think it looks better and more aggressive than the previous generation. Doesn't make me any more right than CR&PW&JB, just another opinion.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The front is ugly we get it. Move on and stop being butt hurt ladies and gentlemen, it's a car. Not a damn baby.

I agree and can't wait to see how the fourth gen will look like in 7-8 years. I'll leave the brand for a while after my R56 and see what MINI does down the road.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I see both sides of the argument. I happen to like most Mini's for different reasons. I purchased the F56 because I liked it after a few different test drives. Decided to get black because it toned down the ugly nose better than most colors. After driving it for 1000 miles or so it has grown on me more. Happy Motoring Ladies and Gentlemen.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, the first generation looked good regardless of trim level and color, and the second generation looked good in the “S” with sport package and in JCW trim with high contrasting roof and body colors, but I have not seen a F56 that flips my switch. You would think the back bumper on the F56 “S” deserves more than added a piece on top of the base trim.

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 07-07-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Since users new and old seem to be forgetting the guidelines

RESPECT
When posting, both members and vendors must ALWAYS be respectful of fellow members and vendors. Personal attacks, trolling/baiting, deliberate antagonizing, and flaming will not be tolerated. If you feel you are being attacked, report the post or private message rather than replying or flaming back. However, do not use the report bad post feature to "cry wolf" when you are in fact the instigator of the demise of a discussion. Doing so will result in an infraction or strike.
Opinions, well just about everybody is going to have one and if you can't express it without attacking others, then probably best to keep you fingers off the keyboard and step away from the internet for a few minutes. If you can't stand those disagreeing with you, take a look into using the ignore list feature; may go a long way toward the enjoyment your time on the forums.

And back on topic....

Today I saw a 3rd Gen out on the road mixed in with cars for the first time, in traffic without other MINIs right around it; it's not as big a departure from the 2nd Gen as I was expecting based on all the photos and press material, or having older Generation MINIs nearby. I think it will be interesting to see in a few months when the pool of people talking about the differences is larger if the new generation stands out as being starkly different (at least in exterior cues) to people that are new to MINIs and the community.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aafflyer
I posted this in the general mini talk a couple of days ago, but for those who hate on the F56, I think it's an improvement over 1978

And I didn't know the Clubman was an old model name, did you?
I'd take a well sorted Clubman 1275GT over any current MINI.

The beauty of the Clubman is the bigger engine bay which allows you to fit tasty bits like the KAD 16v cylinder head.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
I am going to post just my personal thoughts on the new F56.

I am of course new to these forums and to MINI in general in regards to ownership on a personal level. I love the old gen MINI's. I think they are classic and so fun! That does not mean I do not enjoy the new MINI's too. After reading through all your comments which took me FOREVER I have decided that I like both and for vastly different reasons. I think that is what really excites me about this brand that it can change over time and draw so many fun and interesting people in the mix.

* Happy Motoring- We are all friends here regardless of what gen we own*

Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM
red bread
2nd Gear
As a longtime BMW owner (who may have similar post tallies on those boards) there's been recent hope of smaller cars being introduced below the newly large 3er.

If the F56 growth allows for a smaller than R53 car, in the vein of the Rocketman, I'm just assuming you'd be a fan, no? I love the idea, just personally need the space of an F55 at the moment and can deal with the awkward looks since the dynamics are better than my alternatives for a reasonably light five door.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
OK since the thread topic asks what I think of the F56.....

I respectfully think the new F56 could live happily with the Aztec & AMC Pacer in the ugly car hall of fame. The hall of fame F56 should be construction equipment yellow for full effect.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor On
And back on topic....

Today I saw a 3rd Gen out on the road mixed in with cars for the first time, in traffic without other MINIs right around it; it's not as big a departure from the 2nd Gen as I was expecting based on all the photos and press material, or having older Generation MINIs nearby. I think it will be interesting to see in a few months when the pool of people talking about the differences is larger if the new generation stands out as being starkly different (at least in exterior cues) to people that are new to MINIs and the community.
I still have yet to see one on the street here (I live in an area of about 100k people, Prescott Az). But I suspect the Mod's right, they'll still look like a Mini and different from any other car out there. My wife's a good example. She can pick out a Mini from any angle pretty far away. She says BMWs look just like a lot of other cars if you can't see the front grille or the emblem on the back. Years ago you could, now you can't. I liked the F56 when I test drove it and at the dealership. I obviously prefer the look of my car that's why I chose it, but I showed up to put money down on an F56 one weekend. It just wasn't meant to happen.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
OK since the thread topic asks what I think of the F56.....

I respectfully think the new F56 could live happily with the Aztec & AMC Pacer in the ugly car hall of fame. The hall of fame F56 should be construction equipment yellow for full effect.

Wow, glad you submitted that respectfully.............

What do you drive in Nunavut, pray tell?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM
red bread
2nd Gear
Is there really an option besides a Zamboni?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 PM
IDNTFIT
3rd Gear
I can't wait to resurrect this thread when it's dead a year from now, just to see who is driving what.... Hahahah any bets?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
kellmark
1st Gear
I just saw the first F56 I have seen on the road today. A Justa in red. It doesn't look as nimble as the older Minis. As it sat in traffic, and I looked at it compared to the other cars around it, it simply doesn't look in proportion to them. It looked bigger than a Mini hatchback should be. And the tail lights are huge. But the nose is far better than the F56S, which I saw in a Mini showroom.

The F56S is a disaster in the front. It grates on me. It looks like it has a Jay Leno chin with a teenagers' braces on the teeth. I will never get one. And I wouldn't get the Justa because I like the performance of the S.

I have loved Minis in the past and love the look of my R56S. But I think they have jumped the shark on the F56S.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Are F56s beautiful or ugly or? "fun thread?"