F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Install a CD player in a 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerhands
What percentage are complete books? How many hours for a 300 page novel?

Putting them in .mp3 would be a good idea, pretty easy to do.
I really don't know how many are abridged, and how many are unabridged-- I just list them as soon as they're prepped. I have about 35 photo'd and ready to list right now, in fact.

I think a novel of that length would probably be on the order of 8 to 10 discs, although I'm not going to guarantee that because I don't usually compare the two. I do have one print edition of a book that's 575 pages, and the unabridged audiobook is 14 discs, 17 1/2 hours. (Great book, BTW--Five Days at Memorial, about alleged euthanasia during Hurricane Katrina.)

Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my CDs. Definitely factored into not getting an F56. Seems like a stupid thing to remove and I don't like them making that decision for me!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-mine
I love my CDs. Definitely factored into not getting an F56. Seems like a stupid thing to remove and I don't like them making that decision for me!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SeppTB
6-disc changer does seem expensive (what BMW/MINI option isn't!) but I remember from an earlier thread on this issue you said you've got 100s of audio book CDs that you listen to, so it probably would be very useful for your needs. If I didn't live about 1000 miles away I'd definitely try to show you how to rip things from a CD to MP3 files to use the USB/Hard Drive that's built in
My offer still stands to remote (via TeamViewer) into your computer and teach you how to rip the CD's so you could play them via a USB stick (or copy to a phone and use bluetooth to stream). So, if you change your mind and decide not to order the DVD changer, just let me know.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll get back to you in about 9 years when I order the next one, okay? :-)

Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-mine

I know what you mean. I was so angry when they stopped installing 8-track players in cars - and then they stopped installing cassette players!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I know what you mean. I was so angry when they stopped installing 8-track players in cars - and then they stopped installing cassette players!
I actually saw an ad recently for a car with a cassette player. Can't remember what it was--Porsche, I think (we're shopping for one), and it surprised me because it wasn't a very old car--90's vintage, as I recall.

Looking forward to getting my car--with the DVD player; it was completed over 2 weeks ago, but still apparently hasn't caught a ride across the pond.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered my 2007 Audi A3 with a cassette player, but only so that I could get a double DIN head unit and swap it out for an aftermarket.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I actually saw an ad recently for a car with a cassette player. Can't remember what it was--Porsche, I think (we're shopping for one), and it surprised me because it wasn't a very old car--90's vintage, as I recall.

Looking forward to getting my car--with the DVD player; it was completed over 2 weeks ago, but still apparently hasn't caught a ride across the pond.
We ordered our car with the CD/DVD changer. This is my wife's car and she just wanted the convenience to stick the disc in and go. I offered to rip them but there is a benefit to having the CD player for her and it is a nice lossless way to listen to her music (we have the HK also). She tends to listen to a few new CDs at a time anyway. The car is en-route. I'm sure I'll play around with ripping music to the hard drive when we get the car.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
We ordered our car with the CD/DVD changer. This is my wife's car and she just wanted the convenience to stick the disc in and go. I offered to rip them but there is a benefit to having the CD player for her and it is a nice lossless way to listen to her music (we have the HK also). She tends to listen to a few new CDs at a time anyway. The car is en-route. I'm sure I'll play around with ripping music to the hard drive when we get the car.
Strange, that term "ripping." Used to hear it in connection with wood boards, as in "we need to rip that 2 x 6." Now it's music?!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Strange, that term "ripping." Used to hear it in connection with wood boards, as in "we need to rip that 2 x 6." Now it's music?!
Yes I've ripped a few boards in my time too. Oh and maybe a pair of pants!

Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
If you're not familiar with the term, it says something about your age.

There's an entire generation of people who started with CDs and transitioned to mp3's. They "ripped" their purchased CD's to play on iPods (before iPhone) and they know the term well. There's a younger generation who might not know "ripping" because they never owned CDs. And there's an older generation who might not know the term because they simply stayed with CDs.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried to get the I-phone to work with the radio and had a use a cord. No way to control what the hell I was listening to with anything besides the phone which is a huge safety hazard. I am hating my F56 more and more every day.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:21 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
+1000

Originally Posted by IDNTFIT
I too was surprised to learn that the new minis didn't come with CD players anymore... Now I have to rip hundreds of cd's to my iTunes account... A daunting task, but once done will be much more convenient:-)
And a lot cheaper and cleaner

Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 PM
craigsix
3rd Gear
i still have some 8tracks. i dont know all this new tech crap nerds. its also bs that mini wants about 500 bucks to hook up xm radio but you get a year subscription for free.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:00 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel that a lot of times the sales adviser is not as informant with certain options based on what people have/ need and most importantly may not know.

That leads to a lot of unhappy people when they think they have something they don't. Especially after they have ordered and waited for the car!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
Tried to get the I-phone to work with the radio and had a use a cord. No way to control what the hell I was listening to with anything besides the phone which is a huge safety hazard. I am hating my F56 more and more every day.
I'm evidently missing something in your post. I use my iPhone all the time in my car, no cord. It's an old one, an iPhone 3 (yes, really!), and I was surprised it actually worked, but it does. My husband has a 5S, and it works fine, too.

Why did you have to use a cord?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
By the way, this thread is pretty old, and dates back to 4 1/2 months before my car was actually delivered (it was one of those caught up in the EPA delay last fall). Time to update all you dinosaurs like me as to how well the car is working out. In short, fantastic!

I did reorder the car to incorporate the 6-disc DVD player. If you read page 1 of this thread, you'll note that I complained that the 2014 specs changed by the time 2015 came around, and the 6-disc CD player was no longer available. As it turned out, because the 2015s were held at the port for a couple of months, it didn't matter that I had to reorder--mine was delivered on the same truck as the "earlier" car was. I love the 6-disc DVD player! Yes, it takes up a pretty big hunk of the glove compartment, but there's enough room for the owner's manual that I'm okay with it. After all, I also have the secret compartment, the arm rest, and the door pockets to store stuff. I line up my audiobook discs about every 7 or 8 hours (that's about how long 6 discs will play), shove 'em all in, and I'm done fooling with it for a while. I have not had a CD or Mp3-CD audiobook fail to play, no matter what the recording date, so I'm happy.

I've got about 8700 miles on the new car, spread over a number of long trips and short errands, and I've probably listened to about 20 books so far, all free since I'm in the business.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:09 AM
dcummer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by craigsix
its also bs that mini wants about 500 bucks to hook up xm radio but you get a year subscription for free.
Actually it is $300 and includes a one year Sirius "All Access" package that sells for $199. I particularly enjoy the internet access to Sirius that comes with this package. My second favorite option on the car (here in New England heated seats are option #1).

Old 04-16-2015, 01:44 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
There is a way to control music from your MINI, especially if you are using a cord to connect. Not knowing how to do something is hardly a reason to hate the car.

What headunit are you using? Do you have the base radio or the Visual Boost radio with the color screen?