F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Halogen headlamps vs. LED headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 AM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stay Curious
AND, for the record, we also test drove at night, and shined both lights against a large white building, and the halogens had a wider light spread. FACT!!! Measured and proven in both regular and "high beam."
Out of curiosity, you performed this test how?

You had two of the exact same model cars, same year, one with stock halogens, one with stock LEDs, measured out exact distances to the building, measured the exact spread of light for each with something other than your eyeballs?

If you did that you could, at best, say that halogens have a spread that is better than LEDs for that model car for that model year.

Anything less and you have proven nothing...

Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM
red bread
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent point. I guess it's a lot easier to deal with a large heatsink on top of my helmet than in the middle of the hood of a Mini, and with the added engine bay temps, it is probably a pretty big challenge.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never had a problem w/ headlights, so when I was ordering my MINI and saw $750 for LEDs, I thought that was crazy. Then, I saw $1250 for LEDs w/ cornering, and I thought that was really wacky. Also, amber signal lights make very good sense and you lose the ambers w/ the LEDs -- unbelievable!

Different strolks for different fokes.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:43 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by torpeau
you lose the ambers w/ the LEDs
They flash amber.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:06 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
i wish they had stuck with traditional HIDs as the upgraded light option - all the light output, none of the ring around the eyes look. Oh well - I guess you can always go halogen and retrofit a projector and kit in.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stay Curious
Sorry folks, CHP and sheriff, at least up here in NO. California, have said there have been more accidents attributed (on our highway) because of the brightness of the LED's. This is for our mountain conditions, snow, rain, fog, windy two lane country roads, and no center divider on the hwy conditions. The ones we complain about, are not the replacement lights, but the halo of lights that are like in the Mini. HOWEVER I will say the LED break lights are awesome, and can be seen FAR better than the regular lights.

AND, for the record, we also test drove at night, and shined both lights against a large white building, and the halogens had a wider light spread. FACT!!! Measured and proven in both regular and "high beam."

Now...I'm a wife, and this IS my tale, but it's true. So please don't insult my intelligence. I did my homework and own testing. Too many opinions, wanted to know what would work best for our conditions, from our own research and testing.

It's funny when you look up "Halogen Vs. LED Headlights" Many opinions, some based on fact, others...emotion. Why? Don't know. Like I said, it did my own testing, not with a "gangly wrench and 7" sprocket" like Steve Martin wittingly said, or some sort of chronograph light ray emitter measurer, but simply shining on a wall. Close up and from a distance.

There were, however, two good websites that had some very interesting pieces of information. Everyone has the right to pick what they think is best, and I don't fault you for it, it's what you feel comfortable with for your conditions of driving. I'm a fact girl, and like sharing what I find. Hence my user name Stay Curious!

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ba...led-26530.html

http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/h...v-led-v-laser/

Happy Driving
Thanks for the links, l found them very, very useful! I currently have Xenons in my R56 and had the opportunity to drive with halogens in a 2017 F56. I found that the halogens on high beam seemed to under illuminate the foreground as compared to the Xenons. From my subjective and single sampled research, I think the LED’s will be my headlight of choice in my next MINI.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:29 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
I ordered my car with halogen lights. I like the "traditional" look of the Mini, and don't think the high-tech look of LEDs suits it. That said- would love to have brighter lights. Is there a bulb that works with the OEM halogen setup that is brighter? Yet with the same yellowish halogen color temp. Not a fan of the white / blue look.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:03 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Never came across a Halogen bulb that would compete with the LED lights. They do sell some brighter bulbs with short life spans. You might want to check PIAA branded bulbs.